The Student Room Group

Fell for a scam

My sister saw one of the ‘win £750 on asos’ scam ads on tiktok and she fell for it, she has never fallen for a scam before but because this one was on a site as legitimate as tiktok so she didn’t think anything of it.. which is understandable and I’m sure a lot of people have done at the moment on tiktok..

To “win” the £750 voucher she had to put in her address, email, phone number and DOB. She didn’t give any bank details as she isn’t that stupid

She realised it was a scam when she received a text shortly after from a regular number with a link to continue, she didn’t click it as the link didn’t look legit at all.

What can scammers do with the information she gave?
She is now scared she has put us in danger by giving the address and feels rather stupid now as she’s never fallen for a scam before.

(Btw, she did this on a night out heavily under the influence)
(edited 2 years ago)
They won’t do much, they’re not going to come and kill you. You’ll probably just get a few scam phone calls.
Hopefully even the most brain dead of TSR users would be able to figure that out
My sister told me their was a Asos survey to win a gift card so I thought that looks legit and let her fill it in for me. I feel kinda stupid now and wish I had looked at it more. Has anything partially bad happened as a result. I didn't put any bank details just my name, address and phone number and email. Will I just get spam texts and emails. Is there anything I can do.
good point :rofl:
Original post by Harry_Horatio
My sister told me their was a Asos survey to win a gift card so I thought that looks legit and let her fill it in for me. I feel kinda stupid now and wish I had looked at it more. Has anything partially bad happened as a result. I didn't put any bank details just my name, address and phone number and email. Will I just get spam texts and emails. Is there anything I can do.

silence unknown callers on iPhone, and use a spam email for those, im currently sitting at 16k emails where I signed up to dubious things, all dont use your real name and address
They will probably sell the information to other scammers so she might start getting scam texts and phone calls, and maybe emails as well. As long as she doesn't answer any calls or open any links she will be fine. They can't do much else without bank details.

In future she should use an adblocker on browsers and not click on any ads in apps.
Has anything happened since?
How on earth is tiktok legit ? 😅
Original post by Harry_Horatio

Since this has happened have you received any spam calls or emails?
Original post by samjohnson01
My sister saw one of the ‘win £750 on asos’ scam ads on tiktok and she fell for it, she has never fallen for a scam before but because this one was on a site as legitimate as tiktok so she didn’t think anything of it.. which is understandable and I’m sure a lot of people have done at the moment on tiktok..

To “win” the £750 voucher she had to put in her address, email, phone number and DOB. She didn’t give any bank details as she isn’t that stupid

She realised it was a scam when she received a text shortly after from a regular number with a link to continue, she didn’t click it as the link didn’t look legit at all.

What can scammers do with the information she gave?
She is now scared she has put us in danger by giving the address and feels rather stupid now as she’s never fallen for a scam before.

(Btw, she did this on a night out heavily under the influence)

This is crazy because the exact same thing is happening to me right now as we speak but when I saw that message with the link I knew something was wrong. So glad I found this, glad neither of us clicked the ink.

Whats funny is I'm under the influence too but I'm in my room that's so funny

Quick Reply

Latest