The Student Room Group

Have you ever declined an interview because there may be too many stages in the

recruitment process? Like it started with a phone interview for me and I just declined it because I know there will be so many more stages to the interview process just for a remote role and I am not confident on interviews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. I went through two interviews, computer-based tests, a medical, a fitness test and and 2 sets of leadership tests to get my dream job. And I went through that process more than once.

Most jobs will have interviews. If you want to work, you'll have to practice your interview skills.
Original post by Anony345533
recruitment process? Like it started with a phone interview for me and I just declined it because I know there will be so many more stages to the interview process just for a remote role and I am not confident on interviews

Wow. How do you ever expect to get a job if you're not even prepared to have a phone conversation with the company concerned?

If you'd had taken the call, you could have asked them how many stages there were to the selection process rather that just assuming that there'd be "too many stages".

If you are "not confident on interviews" then you need to do interviews, to gain practice and experience - and hence confidence.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
No. I went through two interviews, computer-based tests, a medical, a fitness test and and 2 sets of leadership tests to get my dream job. And I went through that process more than once.

Most jobs will have interviews. If you want to work, you'll have to practice your interview skills.

With the interview stages I can't travel so if I am required to do anything like an assessment day or face to face interview in a place that isn't convenient I wouldn't be able to go. I would be able to do things like video interviews if they asked me to do one. That's if you get past the phone interview stage
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Wow. How do you ever expect to get a job if you're not even prepared to have a phone conversation with the company concerned?

If you'd had taken the call, you could have asked them how many stages there were to the selection process rather that just assuming that there'd be "too many stages".

If you are "not confident on interviews" then you need to do interviews, to gain practice and experience - and hence confidence.

I want a job where I can have like one interview and then be hired, and phone interviews that last 15 minutes are usually followed by a lot more to the recruitment process. Of course the amount of stages is up to the employer.

I have anxiety, so I booked the interview call on Indeed and then cancelled it the day before.

I have actually spoken to companies on the phone before and it wasn't called a phone interview. Like I have applied to apprenticeships and spoke to the training provider on the phone who forwarded my application to the employer and then had an interview with the employer.
No, I've never even considered how many stages there would be when applying. If I want the job, I want the job.

Honestly, you've started so many threads about your anxieties regarding work/college/apprenticeships and as I said months ago, I don't think you're mentally 'in' to actually doing them. You're always chasing some golden goose perfect scenario which will never happen.

- What happens after the employee leaves the apprenticeship on the day they start?
- If you drop out of an apprenticeship before you even start and not have anything else
- Does it make me weird if I want a job centre advisor who makes decisions for me?
- Can job centre help me get my old job back?

Recently you said you'd been signed off because of your health so I am not sure why you are messing employers around again.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
No, I've never even considered how many stages there would be when applying. If I want the job, I want the job.

Honestly, you've started so many threads about your anxieties regarding work/college/apprenticeships and as I said months ago, I don't think you're mentally 'in' to actually doing them. You're always chasing some golden goose perfect scenario which will never happen.

- What happens after the employee leaves the apprenticeship on the day they start?
- If you drop out of an apprenticeship before you even start and not have anything else
- Does it make me weird if I want a job centre advisor who makes decisions for me?

Recently you said you'd been signed off because of your health so I am not sure why you are messing employers around again.

It won't stop me looking for remote roles. I will be expected to work at some point in the future, not signed off completely. How's declining an interview messing them around? I declined it, I didn't ask for an interview again did I? I am surprised I even accepted at first.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One

Remote roles are the best golden goose scenario.
Reply 8
You have to submit a cv, do a personality test and have an interview just to get a job at a supermarket! Degree apprenticeships you often also have to have cognitive tests, group tasks and have several interviews. It's pretty depressing when you go through 5 stages just to be told no, but what other choice is there? If you ever want a job you're going to have to jump through hoops. Best thing to do is read up on the company, read up on their values, know why you want the job, know your strengths and weaknesses and be able to give examples of times you've worked as part of a team and where you've overcome a challenge. That sort of thing. The more interviews you do the more you get to know the sort of questions you're likely to be asked. It's hard work that's for sure with no assurance of anything at the end.
Realistically any employer willing to hire you for a remote role on the basis of a short phone call is probably scamming you or dodgy in some way. It's just not how things are professionally done and In many case the remote roles go to existing staff or at least people leaving current jobs who have already proved their work ethic and discipline, not to mention that v few remote roles are guaranteed to stay remote..
I have declined an interview before which did have multiple stages but it wasn't explicitly because of that, although it was a factor. Basically I'd already had another job offer and while I was interested in it, I decided I wasn't interested enough to go through two more rounds of interviews and went with the bird in the hand.

Also I stepped in dog poo on the way to the second interview and decided it was a sign :tongue:

However realistically almost any role is going to interview you before hiring you. The only situation you may not be interviewed is if you're a temp with a temp agency in which case they may just agree to have you fill the temp position on the basis of CV and discussion with the temp agency, because as a temp with the temp agency they can just at any time say to the agency "this person isn't working out send us another" so they don't really take on any risk that way.

Of course temping can lead to a permanent role later, although it's likely you'd still need to interview eventually.
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
Realistically any employer willing to hire you for a remote role on the basis of a short phone call is probably scamming you or dodgy in some way. It's just not how things are professionally done and In many case the remote roles go to existing staff or at least people leaving current jobs who have already proved their work ethic and discipline, not to mention that v few remote roles are guaranteed to stay remote..

I'm not expecting them to hire me after a short phone call but like after a half hour video interview or something. I have applied to jobs like that before but these were apprenticeships that require me to travel and that comes with it's own problems.
Reply 12

I still got a call despite declining on Indeed and they spoke to me about the role and how they want to hire me. It just makes me think is it dodgy as it is fully remote, they say I am living in London meaning they may not live in London and they want to give me a job offer and equipment.
Reply 13
Original post by DataVenia

Don't tell me off, they still called me despite me declining on Indeed and told me about the role. I asked about the recruitment process and I think they said they want to give me the offer on Monday and send me the equipment. It's fully remote and makes me think it's dodgy. It wasn't a full on interview, it was an informal interview. I heard even jobs on Indeed are scams so have to be careful.
I still got a call despite declining on Indeed and they spoke to me about the role and how they want to hire me. It just makes me think is it dodgy as it is fully remote, they say I am living in London meaning they may not live in London and they want to give me a job offer and equipment.

My gut thought would be dodgy - I can't say for sure obv, and don't know what/who you applied to

Personally I wouldn't hire someone after just a chat/video - I'd have specific questions and would want to see how they reacted to me challenging them out of their comfort zone as my roles are customer facing and not for the weak willed - but In fairness I should balance that by saying most of these calls/videos are also basically interviews, no matter how much they say it's informal, it never is.

When I was a teen most of these v quick 'interview' or group session deals tended to end up being door to door or cold calling sales, where you are on commission and they frankly don't care if you **** up, bums on seats. Now digitally you're open to a whole WORLD of cheapskates and scammers. One thing to consider is that if someone abroad fails to pay you, you have almost no chance of getting it without spending more than you're owed
Reply 15
My gut thought would be dodgy - I can't say for sure obv, and don't know what/who you applied to

Personally I wouldn't hire someone after just a chat/video - I'd have specific questions and would want to see how they reacted to me challenging them out of their comfort zone as my roles are customer facing and not for the weak willed - but In fairness I should balance that by saying most of these calls/videos are also basically interviews, no matter how much they say it's informal, it never is.

When I was a teen most of these v quick 'interview' or group session deals tended to end up being door to door or cold calling sales, where you are on commission and they frankly don't care if you **** up, bums on seats. Now digitally you're open to a whole WORLD of cheapskates and scammers. One thing to consider is that if someone abroad fails to pay you, you have almost no chance of getting it without spending more than you're owed

I would think it's dodgy too so I won't be signing anything. Can I not just decline the offer or tell them I decline? I think it's dodgy based on the fact that the employer doesn't even come from London and to identify scam jobs they would say fully remote jobs and promise flexible hours (this is what Google and indeed tell me on how to identify scam jobs). It ticks that so I won't be signing anything.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 16

They didn't ask me the typical interview questions like basically what is your work situation, what did you learn from your admin volunteer role in 2021 and digital Marketing Traineeship role in 2022 and they told me about the company and the role.
Reply 17
It won't stop me looking for remote roles. I will be expected to work at some point in the future, not signed off completely. How's declining an interview messing them around? I declined it, I didn't ask for an interview again did I? I am surprised I even accepted at first.

You are messing lots of people around because of several factors:

Companies will select a number of candidates to interview, so you've taken a slot that someone else could have had.

The recruiters and interviewers have spent time reading your CV/application and preparing to ask you certain questions.

You've left the interviewers with wasted time because there's now a gap in the interview schedule.

Having been recruiter and interviewer, it's incredibly annoying to have people waste my time like that!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Surnia

Companies will select a number of candidates to interview, so you've taken a slot that someone else could have had.

The recruiters and interviewers have spent time reading your CV/application and preparing to ask you certain questions.

You've left the interviewers with wasted time because there's now a gap in the interview schedule.

Have you read the rest of the thread? The interviewer still called me even though I said no, the job seems dodgy to me so I won't be accepting their offer. They are not based where I live and I have learnt that from before that companies outside of your area claiming to give you a job are scams. I also found that they offer flexible working hours and a work from home job so that to me (according to Google) tells me that the job is a scam. Indeed actually has jobs that are scams, and so far I fell for one and nearly this one and another one.
Reply 19
Original post by Surnia

Having been recruiter and interviewer, it's incredibly annoying to have people waste my time like that!

It seems like they are quick to hire me and only asked me what my admin volunteer role in 2021 asked me to do, what my digital Marketing Traineeship in 2022 entails and what is my current work situation and then told me about the company and the role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending