The Student Room Group

London Modelling agencies scam?

I have friends who are modelling, one of which is doing really really well, has jobs 24/7. We were all part of the same group of friends, were tennis players, and competed and trained together our entire childhood and teens. One of the guys, i'll call him Nathan, was the first, he had done some photoshoots when he was playing in america, but then packed it in, it was him who suggested modelling to one of our other friends, he joked that he was a tall lanky guy with a fat sexy jawline so would be perfect, he is now pretty much full time modelling, flies around Europe all the time for jobs. I then decided to give it a shot, typed in modelling agencies on google and hit the first one. The model Station. They asked for name, age and to upload one picture.
The next day they emailed saying I was successful in the filtering process and was shortlisted for an assessment appointment. The next day I got a phone from "Harvey", explaining the process, "come as a blank canvas, no hair or face products, bring 6 different outfits, if im successful I will then see a consultant who will recommend which direction to go in and make a portfolio if I wanted to. He said it was busy times with some kind of spring catalogue coming up or something and bookings were first come first serve. i booked a wednesday week, as the email said I had to pay a £50 deposit which was refundable if I showed up on the day, I gave him my full name, 16 digit number and 3 digit security number on the back - over the phone. He then said if I was under 22 I had to come with a parent, and later that week a welcome package with further instructions would arrive. After some thought I decided to kill it, ordered a new bank card and sent an email saying I was backing out, sorry for any inconvenience.
My heart is telling me I cashed out on an opportunity but my brain is telling me I am a ****ing idiot.
So do I lack balls? Or do I lack brains?

Scroll to see replies

looool why does this just remind me of fake agent UK
Reply 2
Original post by Brumtown1
looool why does this just remind me of fake agent UK

the irony is that it is legit
Reply 3
Did you find out if it was scam as I’ve just done the same
So many people getting scammed by these platform modelling agencies booked us in to mac studios to be told make up and hair was done by strictly come dancing artist never in a million years hair and makeup weren't good at all, told to go out come bk someone will check to see if my daughter as smashed it or not to be told at 13 she as what it takes then given all the rubbish that Zera modelling platform was best 96% success rate then wanted £2000 portfolio NEVER PAY go a portfolio we refused to pay there attitude changed towards us straight away never heard from model network since said they was emailing me next day no such thing as happened REALLY WHAT SORT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE TRYING TO SCAM CHILDREN CRASHING DOWN ON THERE DREAMS NEED TO BE STOPPED....
I don't think they are meant to ask for upfront deposits.

There seem to be a quite a few threads like this recently on this forum. Lots of people are getting scammed out of their money this way.
Reply 6
Omg I had the same . Payed £995 mug !!! Still waiting on z- cards 2 months later . Said I would get at least 15 jobs per month . I have to send my daughters portfolio to manning models network . Still have no inline link . Why didn’t they send it to mAnning ??? They have now put me on to TMA £120 fee for 3 years on there books . Every agency is £99 models direct . MMA £100 and more . Why the government say you don’t have to pay for real model agency’s?
How is Tma?? I have a meeting tomorrow!
Zera models platform are scam artists they send you to new york fashion studios at the end your pressured into buying the portfolio then they send you over to the platform which then refer you to TMA WHICH ARE SCAM ARTISTS. TALK TO CHILDMODELADVICE THEY WILL TELL YOU
How did your meeting with tma go..?? I have a meeting with them Sunday next for my daughter..looking to know in advance if they are good or if it's going to be a waste of time..
Reply 10
So I wanted to know anyone know about this diverse model agency thing, I have a feeling it’s a scam asking for money upfront and saying hurry short places left yet I’ve “been selected
People!Don't trust www.visualstudios.co.ukThey will ask you to pay money, 50 pounds(give your card details) to prepare everything for you.. But IF FOR SOME REASONS YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COME, FORGET ABOUT YOUR MONEY BACK and you will hear lots of sh.... Excuses and explanations why they can't transfer it back.I deeply regret that I agreed to to make this appointment. Hope it will help you.
Any one heard of Pop Models, I have a meeting today
Has anyone heard of pop models? They have offered me to come in for an interview and a shoot. They say there is no admin fee, but there maybe a charge for the photo shoot.
Hello, did you go to this interview with pop model?
Hi my daughter went to uk model platform on Saturday for a photo shoot I’ve reading some of the comments I feel like I have been scammed. I paid 900 which I have to pay 1995 I get a manager called manning and web page and cards and platform would sort everything out I don’t know if it’s true or not my daughter been on such a high I don’t want to disappoint her can any help please
Reply 16
Original post by Jazz96B
So I wanted to know anyone know about this diverse model agency thing, I have a feeling it’s a scam asking for money upfront and saying hurry short places left yet I’ve “been selected
Hi,Did you go ahead and did you get any work ?
Is pop models a scam? They want to book a photo shoot with me?
How did you get on?
Original post by mariannaya
People!Don't trust www.visualstudios.co.ukThey will ask you to pay money, 50 pounds(give your card details) to prepare everything for you.. But IF FOR SOME REASONS YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COME, FORGET ABOUT YOUR MONEY BACK and you will hear lots of sh.... Excuses and explanations why they can't transfer it back.I deeply regret that I agreed to to make this appointment. Hope it will help you.

HI I have went there and they wanted 1500 for the portfolio...we have started paying it already I'm 13 and they were like I was successful and stuff...shall I backout

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending