The Student Room Group

trapped

im 17 i will be 18 on 29th January. i had to pick 5 universities for next year. i picked only one which is near me however the other 4 are like 1 - 2 hour away - my mum doesnt want me to go out of liverpool however if i dont then i dont think i will be happy - my mom doesnt let me do anything - she never lets me go out with my friends - to the point where they dont bother asking me if i wanna go out because they know my mum will say no it hurts and its annoying i want to live my life yet i cant. what do i do?
Reply 1
If ur unable to convince ur parents to lighten their grip on u there's not much u can do. I'm in the same boat and what I did to help cope was try to change my mindset. Understand ur parents want whats best for u, they don't do it out of malicious intent to make sure u suffer etc etc. Try to come up with a list of things ur grateful for from ur parents and if u really feel like it, share it with them. U might not realise it now but ur family is ur safety net in life and it simply isn't worth rebelling against them to such an extent which could compromise ur relationship with them. I hope it helps :smile:
Omg that is a sticky one... That was the same for me with my dad. Just ask your dad if u can go out hoping that he won't tell you to ask your mum and then come back at around 9pm or something and find some excuses to say. She won't beat u...she will just give you one of them parents talk
Original post by Anonymous
im 17 i will be 18 on 29th January. i had to pick 5 universities for next year. i picked only one which is near me however the other 4 are like 1 - 2 hour away - my mum doesnt want me to go out of liverpool however if i dont then i dont think i will be happy - my mom doesnt let me do anything - she never lets me go out with my friends - to the point where they dont bother asking me if i wanna go out because they know my mum will say no it hurts and its annoying i want to live my life yet i cant. what do i do?

You'll be an adult wen you go to uni - how can they stop you applying where you want?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You'll be an adult wen you go to uni - how can they stop you applying where you want?

Dude she said if I leave the house once I’m not allowed to ever come back in it and she doesn’t believe that when I’m 18 I’ll be an adult she still thinks of me as a little baby
Dude she said if I leave the house once I’m not allowed to ever come back in it and she doesn’t believe that when I’m 18 I’ll be an adult she still thinks of me as a little baby

I strongly doubt she would carry thsi through ...

you south asian?
Reply 7
you south asian?

yep - my mums Pakistani
Reply 8
Original post by samuelaccio
Omg that is a sticky one... That was the same for me with my dad. Just ask your dad if u can go out hoping that he won't tell you to ask your mum and then come back at around 9pm or something and find some excuses to say. She won't beat u...she will just give you one of them parents talk

i wish dude - my dad left when i was around 6

That sounds like a very toxic situation. I think it would be best for you to get out and get some independence. Look for a job first of all - if your parents want to kick you out because of that, stay at a friend's house or apply for emergency accomodation through your local council (you would get it within a day or two if you talk to them well).

Randomly stumbled on this post. Hope things worked out for you :smile:
Reply 11
Randomly stumbled on this post. Hope things worked out for you :smile:

heyy thanks and funny enough they did work out haha xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending