The Student Room Group

Need help with Sixth Form :-(

I currently study criminology, law and digital media and I'm just about to go into year 13. However, I received my end of year results back in August for year 12 and I got 2 A's (law and digital media). However for criminology, overall I got a D but there are two modules one in which I got a D and an E. I have been suggested to resit both of them but I decided to resit the one where I got an E since it's particularly bad. I'm trying to achieve an A at least by the end of year 13, but I don't see myself being able to achieve it...are there any tips/advice on how to boost up my grade?
I study maths, physics etc so it may not perfectly translate with advice but I definitely recommend past papers. If you have past papers to do, DO ALL OF THEM!!!

Maybe save them for closer to the examination time but there are often key things that only repetition brings. Ask a teacher of friend to mark each paper and redo the entire paper after feedback (unless you got a perfect question).

The other thing to do is flashcard facts you have to quick recall. A personal favourite for this is Anki but use any flashcard app (or even write them down on paper). It truly does help to go through them for maybe 10 minutes before bed each day.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DO16_DNE
Lool , you fell into the trap of choosing a levels ( work smarter , not harder ) why not study 3 different btecs each equivalent to 1 a level like me , btec law , btec IT and btec business currently smashing D*DD. Ibsr i never knew criminology was an A level i swear it was a btec, anyways your grades are actually decent at least you passed them all , just pattern criminology and you will pass with flying colours , charge it

I actually believe you're the one that has fell into a trap, they tell you that a BTEC is 'equivalent' to an A-Level and on paper it is true - however, in reality, you will always be considered a weaker applicant to someone who has completed 4 A-Levels especially if you apply for a subject at degree level that you are doing currently. Universities expect applicants to be trained in academia, fundamentally BTECs do not do this to the same degree as A-Levels as this was the intention behind them. Moreover, if you look at RG requirements some will not accept BTECs whatsoever and most disclaim that those applying with BTECs will be less competitive - if you wish to apply for Law I doubt you would have any chance at a respectable university unfortunately for you.
^^
If you truly want to get into a top uni you wouldn't take Btec's.

Wouldn't **** them off usually but don't act like they're better when someone is trying to succeed in A-levels :smile:
Is not about the uni you go to is about your career path and destination. And i am not saying that they are better i was just suggesting an alternative. So i dont know why ur on smoke

Fairs, I'm just tired,
Nothing personal :biggrin:
Reply 5
Fortunately for me i can go into employment or university and if i was to consider law as a degree i will meet the entry criteria , i also have a strong gcse background so stressing less and being able to get A’s not ds or es is great. And i dont know why you are coming at me when i tried to encourage you to try harder this yr

I'm not the OP but being condescending to someone asking for advice is unnecessary, especially when you aren't taking A-Levels. It's ironic when you claim that others have fell into a trap, even including a 'lol' at the start of your response.

Quick Reply

Latest