The Student Room Group

Need some help starting essay question

i cant seem to find any research material for this, the question is;

"With reference to appropriate research on social identity theory (Tajfel & Turner, 1979), discuss the idea that the development of gender roles is influenced by group processes."

if anybody can point me in the right direction or just give me some ideas id be much appreciated.

thanks,
I've studies the Tajfel ('70) in-group out-group, but not this one, though I suppose they'll be pretty much the same. So just look at how people respond to group situations and how they adapt and act within these groups and towards those not in said group.

<Social identity is the individual’s self-concept derived from perceived membership of social groups (Hogg & Vaughan, 2002). In other words, it is an individual-based perception of what defines the “us” associated with any internalized group membership> (from some website I just found)

Then just apply it to gender roles- maybe say aggression in boys or some such. The study I did wasn't about gender roles so I'm just guessing here :p:
From holah (OCR) it says: In a later study Tajfel uses Social Identity Theory (SIT) as an explanation for intergroup discrimination. Social identity theory argues that the boys favoured their own group because it increases their self-esteem. Even though the boys were never giving points to themselves they knew that if they gave less to the other group and more to their own group that they would be in the group which gained most points therefore improving their self esteem because they belonged to the ‘best’ group.

Hope this helps somewhat :s-smilie:
Reply 2
so you mean just look at group membership and focus on gender roles indirectly? that may explain why i cant find any studies on SIT and gender roles :P
holah is pretty much a bible for A level psychology.

Wikipedia can be useful at times or just google it.
Reply 4
BillyMarsh
holah is pretty much a bible for A level psychology.

Wikipedia can be useful at times or just google it.

im in second year of my degree mate.
Lara C.
im in second year of my degree mate.

Oh lord, feel quite a tit now :s-smilie:

Sorry bout that I was just searching quickly and I saw the thread and thought it was A level (schematic thinking I suppose).

But still, holah is pretty damn good as its got a lot of stuff around subjects.
Reply 6
BillyMarsh
Oh lord, feel quite a tit now :s-smilie:

Sorry bout that I was just searching quickly and I saw the thread and thought it was A level (schematic thinking I suppose).

But still, holah is pretty damn good as its got a lot of stuff around subjects.

lol. no worries mate :smile:
I suppose you could think maybe given as kids we play mainly with our own gender and as adults of course associating with own gender, we might be influenced by these groups and act as we think we should within these groups. So maybe this is where certain ideas about gender roles could take hold, in regards to social norms and stereotypes?

But I'm only one month into my first year undergrad so I'm only guessing really. Not helpful I know! :o:

You could post it on the uni help area, because most on here are still only A Level students

Latest

Trending

Trending