The Student Room Group

med but not at dream uni?

I'm in a very thankful and grateful position for being accepted into med school in the uk. Recently however I keep thinking about how I didn't manage to get into my dream university. I am completely aware that this is such a negative take and that ultimately the goal is be a doctor and it doesn't matter where I study it.

I just really liked the atmosphere of my dream uni and the med course there was perfect.

What do you guys think about this situation? Is it silly for me to do the whole process again just for this one uni?
Reply 1
Yes, it would be very silly for you to do the whole process again. There is no guarantee you will get an an offer from that uni, or from any other uni, if you apply again.
Reply 2
Take the offer!!! I am saying this after being rejected from mine. It is not worth the stress, you would have to do the admissions tests again.
Reply 3
Original post by anony898r309ur
I'm in a very thankful and grateful position for being accepted into med school in the uk. Recently however I keep thinking about how I didn't manage to get into my dream university. I am completely aware that this is such a negative take and that ultimately the goal is be a doctor and it doesn't matter where I study it.

I just really liked the atmosphere of my dream uni and the med course there was perfect.

What do you guys think about this situation? Is it silly for me to do the whole process again just for this one uni?

I’m actually a rare person who was able to get an offer from one university and be able to apply for another without risking that one. Even though my preferred university was on my doorstep and my offer involved a 1.5 hour commute, there’s no way I would have applied if it had meant giving up an unconditional offer and starting over. You just don’t do it. You work with what you have. There are going to be a lot of compromises in a medical career. Fast forward to graduation and say you don’t get your dream deanery. Then fast forward to specialty training and you don’t get your preferred job. Are you just going to defer every time you don’t get exactly what you want?
Original post by TMTDRN
I’m actually a rare person who was able to get an offer from one university and be able to apply for another without risking that one. Even though my preferred university was on my doorstep and my offer involved a 1.5 hour commute, there’s no way I would have applied if it had meant giving up an unconditional offer and starting over. You just don’t do it. You work with what you have. There are going to be a lot of compromises in a medical career. Fast forward to graduation and say you don’t get your dream deanery. Then fast forward to specialty training and you don’t get your preferred job. Are you just going to defer every time you don’t get exactly what you want?

hey, can I ask how you didn't risk your unconditional offer?

you're very right
Reply 5
hey, can I ask how you didn't risk your unconditional offer?

you're very right

Long story but I had an offer held over from the year before. The covid mess meant that they allowed me to do exams in an autumn resit period but it meant that I had to submit a new application rather than just getting the offer held over. Actually, to be fair, I had a conditional offer but by the time they issued it they’d changed it to unconditional. But it meant that I could submit a new application to three other universities and I had nothing to lose by trying with my ideal university. I have to say I did feel bad doing it but it meant saving £12k on commuting costs over five years.

Medical school is ~5 years of your life as a doctor. By the time you're a consultant I expect whether you went to your dream medical school or not will be irrelevant - chances are you will be colleagues and friends with entirely different people, whatever minor differences in teaching would have been obliterated by the career of clinical experience, and university A having "fancy fun society" and university B not having it or whatever would be totally meaningless because you'll have moved so far beyond whatever that activity/interest/etc is.

Also remember that in the UK medical specialty recruitment is blinded to your medical school to ensure no bias in recruitment to training programmes. So it literally can't directly affect your prospects of becoming whatever rocket surgeon you might be wanting to become.

Just take up the offer, focus on completing the course and getting your foundation post, then get on with your career as a doctor!
(edited 8 months ago)

Hi @anony898r309ur congratulations on getting into medical school!

I can understand that you're disappointed that you didn't get into your first choice- I know that feeling and it can be tough. You're right though, ultimately your goal is to become a doctor, and medicine courses are much more standardised across the country than most subjects are, so you will mostly be learning the same content either way.

You may still have the opportunity to experience the atmosphere at your dream uni if you choose to go where you've got a place- have you looked at potentially intercalating there for a year?

Nellie (Third Year Medical Student)

I

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending