The Student Room Group

Question about Durham Computer Science Foundation Year

It seems to good to be true, is this for 18 year olds? Someone please help me. I applied to the Computer Science with Intergrated Foundation Year.
Is it competitive?
b u m p e
hey :smile:

I'm starting in a couple of weeks so not sure of how much help I can be but I'll try. (btw I'm just speaking from a Law w/ Foundation experience so there might be slight differences)

The foundation year is targeted at 'non-traditional students' - Have a look at the criteria and see how much of it you fit. Obviously the more the better
If you don't fit any of the criteria then IMO save your choice for a different university as your chances of acceptance will be fairly low.

Grades aren't the same standards as a normal application obviously (I applied with ABC predicted for Law w/ Foundation and got in) but I'd say a crucial part is being genuinely passionate about your subject and prepared for your interview. A great personal statement will help you out a long way as well.

Btw I'm 18y/o as well so it's not just a mature student thing

If you have any questions let me know and I'll see if I can help you out :thumbsup:
Original post by chickens?

I'm starting in a couple of weeks so not sure of how much help I can be but I'll try. (btw I'm just speaking from a Law w/ Foundation experience so there might be slight differences)

The foundation year is targeted at 'non-traditional students' - Have a look at the criteria and see how much of it you fit. Obviously the more the better
If you don't fit any of the criteria then IMO save your choice for a different university as your chances of acceptance will be fairly low.

Grades aren't the same standards as a normal application obviously (I applied with ABC predicted for Law w/ Foundation and got in) but I'd say a crucial part is being genuinely passionate about your subject and prepared for your interview. A great personal statement will help you out a long way as well.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll see if I can help you out :thumbsup:

do you get to live in halls with first years? additionally do you know what happens 1st year?
Original post by standardolo
do you get to live in halls with first years? additionally do you know what happens 1st year?

I'm living in halls this year so you can definitely live in halls just like any other fresher.

1st year you'll be grouped together with people studying similar types of degrees and taught subjects that will give you a good base in that area (e.g for law I'm studying social sciences for the foundation year, along with history, english and a little maths)
This will be pre-decided and you don't have to choose modules or anything like that
Original post by chickens?

Hey, don't know if you'll reply cus this is years later but I got an offer from this course and im curious: how was the foundation year? Was it hard/How many people actually moved on to the main course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending