The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

2022 Carmel college foundation year questions

Hi all! I received a conditional offer for the foundation year for computer science and I had a couple of questions about it

1) what's the best option for accommodation? Do I go into student halls the foundation year and travel to Carmel? then for the next year, would I also go into student accommodation? or do what most people do their second years and go private

2) What's the workload like? I'm doing IB Higher Maths so is it similar to that? (Like a-level maths but a bit easier)

3) Is foundation year at Carmel basically like 6th form again or is it more like how I'd imagine university to be like? /

4) How did foundation year at Carmel compare to the first year of your Liverpool course? And how was your transition from foundation to first year?

Thank you to anyone who helps! I want to know more about carmel to know if it's "worth it" haha

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! I've also got a conditional offer for a foundation year at Carmel (Earth Sciences). I think most people apply to on campus accommodation and then travel to Carmel, but I've not seen much other information about it.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by cilyrah
Hi all! I received a conditional offer for the foundation year for computer science and I had a couple of questions about it

1) what's the best option for accommodation? Do I go into student halls the foundation year and travel to Carmel? then for the next year, would I also go into student accommodation? or do what most people do their second years and go private

2) What's the workload like? I'm doing IB Higher Maths so is it similar to that? (Like a-level maths but a bit easier)

3) Is foundation year at Carmel basically like 6th form again or is it more like how I'd imagine university to be like? /

4) How did foundation year at Carmel compare to the first year of your Liverpool course? And how was your transition from foundation to first year?

Thank you to anyone who helps! I want to know more about carmel to know if it's "worth it" haha

Hi there!

Well done on getting your offer!

I'll try and answer all of these as best as I can, although I don't have direct experience of Carmel college - so hopefully will get some responses from someone who does!

For University accommodation you are treated the same as any other University of Liverpool Student, so you can live in any halls. However, I would recommend you to apply to the halls which are on campus, since these are much closer to Liverpool Lime Street station, which has direct trains to St. Helens where Carmel college is. The workload is likely to be similar to at sixth form, since it is a compatible level of study although there may be some challenging aspects to your course. Carmel college may be similar to your sixth form experience since it is a college made up mostly of 16-19-year-olds, though it is a large college, so it might feel much big and more like a University but this would depend upon what you own sixth form was like.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there!

Well done on getting your offer!

I'll try and answer all of these as best as I can, although I don't have direct experience of Carmel college - so hopefully will get some responses from someone who does!

For University accommodation you are treated the same as any other University of Liverpool Student, so you can live in any halls. However, I would recommend you to apply to the halls which are on campus, since these are much closer to Liverpool Lime Street station, which has direct trains to St. Helens where Carmel college is. The workload is likely to be similar to at sixth form, since it is a compatible level of study although there may be some challenging aspects to your course. Carmel college may be similar to your sixth form experience since it is a college made up mostly of 16-19-year-olds, though it is a large college, so it might feel much big and more like a University but this would depend upon what you own sixth form was like.

Thank you very much, and especially for the info about the direct trains to St Helens! I'll definitely keep this in mind :smile:
Original post by cilyrah

Hey mate! I’m on the computer science course at Carmel college right now, about to go into January exams for semester 1.

1) I’m at crown place, was pretty lucky to get in as they’re over subscribed most years as it’s the most popular. However, I am extremely close with all of my flat mates and we have secured a house for next year. However I know people going back into halls next year. When I do go into Carmel, it’s a ball ache, get up at 7 to catch a 7:40 train which is about 25 mins, then another 20 min walk from the station to college. There’s also a bus option that i have started using more often. However, the distance is really bothering me, and my attendance is at 40%. Luckily my scores haven’t dropped below 90% yet.

2) workload is okay, semesters are split into 12 weeks of work of about 8-10 topics, compared to a level maths, it really is a light work load, not too much to remember especially maths. You do assignments, there are 6 for each subject in semester 1, they are a mix between online exams, online tests, and coursework given a duration to complete such as 2 weeks. For computer science, all the assignments have been programming.

3) unfortunately, it basically is 6form, which is another reason why I choose to study from online material. The first computing lesson I had; the teacher got the whiteboards out. You have your own section which is cool, but again, very 6 form like, class room teaching etc.

however, Despite all of this, the goal is to get into liverpool which is a great uni so that’s what keeps me going. Teachers are very supportive if you need help and will reply to questions over teams after hours sometimes. I am currently changing to maths progression as I really haven’t enjoyed the computer science program at all. maths however, is top notch.

hope this helps
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hey mate! I’m on the computer science course at Carmel college right now, about to go into January exams for semester 1.

1) I’m at crown place, was pretty lucky to get in as they’re over subscribed most years as it’s the most popular. However, I am extremely close with all of my flat mates and we have secured a house for next year. However I know people going back into halls next year. When I do go into Carmel, it’s a ball ache, get up at 7 to catch a 7:40 train which is about 25 mins, then another 20 min walk from the station to college. There’s also a bus option that i have started using more often. However, the distance is really bothering me, and my attendance is at 40%. Luckily my scores haven’t dropped below 90% yet.

2) workload is okay, semesters are split into 12 weeks of work of about 8-10 topics, compared to a level maths, it really is a light work load, not too much to remember especially maths. You do assignments, there are 6 for each subject in semester 1, they are a mix between online exams, online tests, and coursework given a duration to complete such as 2 weeks. For computer science, all the assignments have been programming.

3) unfortunately, it basically is 6form, which is another reason why I choose to study from online material. The first computing lesson I had; the teacher got the whiteboards out. You have your own section which is cool, but again, very 6 form like, class room teaching etc.

however, Despite all of this, the goal is to get into liverpool which is a great uni so that’s what keeps me going. Teachers are very supportive if you need help and will reply to questions over teams after hours sometimes. I am currently changing to maths progression as I really haven’t enjoyed the computer science program at all. maths however, is top notch.

hope this helps

Thank you so much for responding! I really wanted people to tell me their experience who actually went there haha.

Some things I read said they appreciated their foundation year and it was useful, but... I'd prefer to not spend an extra year at uni if i can help it.

I have a couple more questions, if you would mind answering! You have already been extremely helpful so no pressure!!

1) On your timetable, do you start at the same time everyday? Or does it depend on lessons?

2) What kind of maths do you do, is it only maths that has an application in computer science, or is it all different types, like A-Level/IB maths?

3) How much do you think this foundation year is helping you?

I've been thinking about not placing this as an insurance choice, considering I've received other offers since. So thank you so much for your input! It really has helped me, and I'll probably just look again at the other option's conditions lol

Thanks!!

hope this helps

Hi! What happens if you were to drive your own car (how much faster) and how many lessons/hours do you get a week? Also, are there free periods and if so, in the mornings, so not always an early start?
Original post by plzdontbetaken3
Hi! What happens if you were to drive your own car (how much faster) and how many lessons/hours do you get a week? Also, are there free periods and if so, in the mornings, so not always an early start?

Hi there!

So I can't answer about the hours per week as I don't have experience of the course, but if you are driving from the University campus in Liverpool to Carmel College it will take approximately 25 minutes.

I hope you get a answer from someone currently studying for the other questions :smile:

hope this helps

hi, how many hours a week do you have?
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there!

So I can't answer about the hours per week as I don't have experience of the course, but if you are driving from the University campus in Liverpool to Carmel College it will take approximately 25 minutes.

I hope you get a answer from someone currently studying for the other questions :smile:

Is there any way I can find out how many hours a week the computer science foundation year is?
Is there any way I can find out how many hours a week the computer science foundation year is?

Hi there,

I'm not too sure sorry, however emailing your course leader (of computer science foundation year) and they should be able to give you the necessary information.

Reply 11
Hi there! I've also got a conditional offer for a foundation year at Carmel (Earth Sciences). I think most people apply to on campus accommodation and then travel to Carmel, but I've not seen much other information about it.

hey, how long did it take you to get your offer after you submitted your application? I applied to do bioscience there and I still haven’t heard anything, although it’s only been a couple of weeks since I submitted my application
Original post by S29027
hey, how long did it take you to get your offer after you submitted your application? I applied to do bioscience there and I still haven’t heard anything, although it’s only been a couple of weeks since I submitted my application

Hi, I applied on the 15th of November and got my offer on the 16th the next day :biggrin:. I got my application acknowledgment email on the 17th though, probably because of the quick offer
Reply 13
Hi, I applied on the 15th of November and got my offer on the 16th the next day :biggrin:. I got my application acknowledgment email on the 17th though, probably because of the quick offer

oh wow that’s really quick. hopefully I hear back soon!

Congratulations on your offer!! If you have any questions then feel free to ask below :smile:

Original post by S29027

mine took about a month :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Iz__a
mine took about a month :smile:

I got an offer now :smile: so about 5 weeks I think. What are you studying?
Original post by S29027
I got an offer now :smile: so about 5 weeks I think. What are you studying?

glad to hear about your offer!!! I'm doing computer science, what about you?
Reply 18
Original post by jamShell
glad to hear about your offer!!! I'm doing computer science, what about you?

Bioscience :smile:
Original post by cilyrah
Thank you so much for responding! I really wanted people to tell me their experience who actually went there haha.

Some things I read said they appreciated their foundation year and it was useful, but... I'd prefer to not spend an extra year at uni if i can help it.

I have a couple more questions, if you would mind answering! You have already been extremely helpful so no pressure!!

1) On your timetable, do you start at the same time everyday? Or does it depend on lessons?

2) What kind of maths do you do, is it only maths that has an application in computer science, or is it all different types, like A-Level/IB maths?

3) How much do you think this foundation year is helping you?

I've been thinking about not placing this as an insurance choice, considering I've received other offers since. So thank you so much for your input! It really has helped me, and I'll probably just look again at the other option's conditions lol

Thanks!!

Sorry for the late response!

1) It totally depends on lessons, so I was in 3 days per week (I was one of the lucky ones) I think on all 3 of the days I was in at 9am, but two of the days only lasted till 2pm and the other lasted till 4. That being said, I think my overall attendance was maybe around 30% if I can remember what my transcript said.

2) Maths, its kind of half bespoke half a level, so full math you do Higher GCSE topics like, cumulative freq, graphs and all basic stats and probability, but then do a level stuff like diff, trig, integration, vectors etc. Additional math you do harder a level stuff like diff equations, distributions, binomial, etc and then do some further math like 2 and 3rd order diff, matrices etc. Honestly, I prefered Add math so much more, the content is tricky but because I enjoyed it I actually did better, I think I got 86% add math and 80 full math in my exams. But no, nothing really related to CS. CS basically has no math at carmel, just simple binary conversions

3) Meh, i'm an independent learner, my attendance was low, 30-40% and I managed to pass year above 60% in all modules, with thanks to online resources like TL math on youtube etc. Math is alot easier to learn by yourself than CS at carmel, because CS is heavily reliant on coursework and some content is taught exclusively in college, however, if you leave yourself enough time, youll be able to do it yourself if needs be, or you know go in as you should, not everyone learns best at home!

hope that helps

HG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending