The Student Room Group

Computer Science Entry Requirements

Hi,

Many universities such as Manchester and Bristol have A*AA with the A* being in Maths/Further Maths as their entry requirements. However I wanted to know if they would accept AAAA in Further Maths, Maths, Biology, Chemistry like Southampton.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by idkwhattosay12
Hi,

Many universities such as Manchester and Bristol have A*AA with the A* being in Maths/Further Maths as their entry requirements. However I wanted to know if they would accept AAAA in Further Maths, Maths, Biology, Chemistry like Southampton.

Thanks

Bristol:

Very likely they would accept AAAA with further math.

While their computer science course requires A*AA, if we look at Math + Computing, they require A*A*A, but they drop the requirements down to A*AA with further mathematics. Therefore, I think it's likely in that situation, they would drop the requirements to AAA with further mathematics for computer science.

Manchester:

A bit more complicated than the Bristol course, because many of Manchester's courses have extremely high entry requirements.

If we look at the computer science course at Manchester, it requires A*A*A*. However, if we look at their mathematics course, it requires A*AA, so we have to assume the difference is with Further Math.

Perhaps with Further Math, they could drop it to A*AA as the very minimum, however, that is a 3 A-level requirement. As you have 4 A-levels, they could drop their requirement to AAAA, with an A in Math + Further Math.

Summary:

I think you have a higher chance to get into Bristol with AAAA than Manchester, but, I would email both, explain that you have 4 A-level subjects plus further math, and whether they would reduce their entry requirements based on that.

For Manchester, as they would have A*AA for their mathematics course, it would make sense for the computer science course to be dropped to A*A*A or A*AA with FM, as computing has a lower mathematical requirement. Then, because you have 4 a-levels, you could ask for the requirements to be dropped even further, to potentially AAAA.

So, definitely a chance with your A-levels; I would email both universities and explain that you have Further Math, two science subjects and 4 A-levels, and whether they would allow a reduction in the entry requirements.

Overall, I think there's a good chance.
Original post by Baleroc
Bristol:

Very likely they would accept AAAA with further math.

While their computer science course requires A*AA, if we look at Math + Computing, they require A*A*A, but they drop the requirements down to A*AA with further mathematics. Therefore, I think it's likely in that situation, they would drop the requirements to AAA with further mathematics for computer science.

Manchester:

A bit more complicated than the Bristol course, because many of Manchester's courses have extremely high entry requirements.

If we look at the computer science course at Manchester, it requires A*A*A*. However, if we look at their mathematics course, it requires A*AA, so we have to assume the difference is with Further Math.

Perhaps with Further Math, they could drop it to A*AA as the very minimum, however, that is a 3 A-level requirement. As you have 4 A-levels, they could drop their requirement to AAAA, with an A in Math + Further Math.

Summary:

I think you have a higher chance to get into Bristol with AAAA than Manchester, but, I would email both, explain that you have 4 A-level subjects plus further math, and whether they would reduce their entry requirements based on that.

For Manchester, as they would have A*AA for their mathematics course, it would make sense for the computer science course to be dropped to A*A*A or A*AA with FM, as computing has a lower mathematical requirement. Then, because you have 4 a-levels, you could ask for the requirements to be dropped even further, to potentially AAAA.

So, definitely a chance with your A-levels; I would email both universities and explain that you have Further Math, two science subjects and 4 A-levels, and whether they would allow a reduction in the entry requirements.

Overall, I think there's a good chance.

Thanks for the reply.
Reply 3
Idkwhattosay12 which university you end up going to ? Bristol or Manchester?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending