The Student Room Group

TSR's Pro-Europe Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Morgsie
This Pro EU European Federalist is in (I have been in for a while)

so you believe in european/global governence of unelected beaurocrats/dictators in charge of a structure designed to dissolve historic, ancient nation states into mere regions of land in a homogenised, bland, superstate/eventual world state?
Reply 121
Original post by adobe
so you believe in european/global governence of unelected beaurocrats/dictators in charge of a structure designed to dissolve historic, ancient nation states into mere regions of land in a homogenised, bland, superstate/eventual world state?

I would like to see reform of Instoitutions, CAP, CFP etc.

There is talk of directly electing the Commission President.

The EU has a doctrine of Subsidiarty.
Reply 122
Original post by Morgsie
I would like to see reform of Instoitutions, CAP, CFP etc.

There is talk of directly electing the Commission President.

The EU has a doctrine of Subsidiarty.

A lot of people would like to see the reform of the CAP, the CFP, etc, and they have for a very long time. That won't reform them, and who's talking about electing the Commission president?

The EU's doctrine of subsidiarity is far too vague to be of any use.
Reply 123
Original post by Tamora
A lot of people would like to see the reform of the CAP, the CFP, etc, and they have for a very long time. That won't reform them, and who's talking about electing the Commission president?

The EU's doctrine of subsidiarity is far too vague to be of any use.

Regarding the election of the President of the European Commission, I am not sure but I read about it a while ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8461420/First-step-towards-directly-elected-EU-president.html
Reply 124
Ok firstly, I am not a little englander or xenophobic. But I am anti-european.

I am a member for the peoples pledge which demands a referendum on the EU.

The people of britain voted for the European Economic Community not the EU. The EEC was based on economics which was the main reason why we entered into the community. Now however, it has become a political union, which prevents the UK as a nation from changing European directives that are damaging our businesses, such as in the export sector whereby there is over £8 billion worth of regulation. The fishing industry is being damaged, the EU has reduced the size of fishing nets and therefore trawlermen must work longer hours to catch as much fish as they did before, longer hours means it is cost effective for the captain, but also longer hours at sea is dangerous. There is the common agricultural policy, the employment, health and safety, the financial cost of the EU: £15 billion, we put in £10.7 billion into the eu than what we recieve back.

A french prime minister once said that if Britain does not like where the EU is going it should be downgraded to the likes of switzerland and norway. Switzerland and Norway are ones of the most economically stable countries not just in europe, but in the world. Although they are outside the eu, they still have a trading agreement with the eu, which is what most eurosceptics like me want, we want to change our relationship with the eu, because the eu has gone beyond the EEC which the british people voted for.

At the end of the day, this country is more than a star on somebody elses flag.
Reply 125
Original post by Morgsie
Regarding the election of the President of the European Commission, I am not sure but I read about it a while ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8461420/First-step-towards-directly-elected-EU-president.html

If that ever gets past the "talking" stage, I'll be pleased to consider it.
Reply 126
The MHOC Foreign Secretary wants to repatriate Powers from the EU

Negotiations with the European Union with regards to the repatriation of powers

Once the above structural reforms have been passed, we aim to begin to repatriate powers back from the EU to the HoC Government. We will seek to do so either through the channels of negotiation or through amending the Canon amendment. Our priority will be negotiations, but should this not work, we will then do so through amending the Canon amendment.

This Government will seek to return powers from Brussels in areas where we feel that the EU should have no say. We will seek to regain control of our waters by reforming the Common Fisheries policy. We will also re-negotiate on security and justice powers. This Government is determined to ensure that this Parliament holds the powers that it wants to hold regardless of the EU. We will also seek to reform CAP to ensure that it is a fairer system. This Government will also slash red tape from Brussels and negotiate to ensure that European regulation does not strangle our businesses and our recovery.

While we are committed to negotiations where appropriate, the Government could also strengthen the Canon amendment to ensure that we regain these powers. We will amend this amendment so that EU Law shall be considered the lowest priority of law and that, in places where there are both Acts of Parliament and EU Laws, this House shall choose for Acts of the UK Parliament to be the only laws that apply to this HoC.

We do not seek confrontation, but peaceful negotiations. That said, we have other means of ensuring that this Government can achieve these policy aims.

I am the Leader of this Society
Reply 127
This Euro-Federalist cant seem to join.. :frown:
Reply 128
Original post by travoot
This Euro-Federalist cant seem to join.. :frown:

Your new. Up your word count or Ask a SuperModerator.
Reply 129
Good news from Ireland lately, they should be within this years defecit target and house prices rose in 2012 at their fastest rate since 2006.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 130
European Leaders backs Mario Monti in the forthcoming Italian Elections.

Ireland holds the Presidency of the Council of the European Union til July
Reply 131
Original post by Rakas21
house prices rose in 2006 at their fastest rate since 2006.

Well, quite.
Reply 132
Original post by L i b
Well, quite.

:colondollar: 2012 of course.
Original post by Morgsie
The MHOC Foreign Secretary wants to repatriate Powers from the EU

I don't really understand this but it would be good if you could explain.

It seems you want to completely renegotiate our position in Europe to go as far even as being able to have control over our own justice system and control over business legislation.

What would be the point then in joining a Europe which seeks further political integration over these issues if we are not going to be as integrated with the rest of Europe over these issues?

I mean those in favour of the European union normally argue against the idea of nationalism, but then isn't this exactly nationalism if you support the idea of the UK being in Europe simply so it can have influence in Europe and take advantage of the good things about Europe whilst opting out of the things which take away too much power from our own national government?
Reply 134
Original post by Solarstorm
I don't really understand this but it would be good if you could explain.

It seems you want to completely renegotiate our position in Europe to go as far even as being able to have control over our own justice system and control over business legislation.

What would be the point then in joining a Europe which seeks further political integration over these issues if we are not going to be as integrated with the rest of Europe over these issues?

I mean those in favour of the European union normally argue against the idea of nationalism, but then isn't this exactly nationalism if you support the idea of the UK being in Europe simply so it can have influence in Europe and take advantage of the good things about Europe whilst opting out of the things which take away too much power from our own national government?

This was ages ago but many Tories In Real Life want to pick n mix which powers to claw back which Europe will oppose.

I am Pro-EU
Original post by Morgsie
This was ages ago but many Tories In Real Life want to pick n mix which powers to claw back which Europe will oppose.

I am Pro-EU

Yeah I am sorry, if I've quoted a post from ages ago over which your views or opinions might have changed, although I just found it rather strange, I mean I don't really understand it.
Reply 136
Original post by Solarstorm
Yeah I am sorry, if I've quoted a post from ages ago over which your views or opinions might have changed over although I just found it rather strange.

I am stubborn with my EU views, its fine :smile:
Reply 137
It is good to see other States saying that Britain should remain in the EU and even the Government's audit of competences have said this.

Our rival thread was bumped so I am bumping this one. We need more members to join the Society
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by Morgsie
It is good to see other States saying that Britain should remain in the EU and even the Government's audit of competences have said this.

Our rival thread was bumped so I am bumping this one. We need more members to join the Society

Can you explain the advantages and disadvantages of free movement of people and what are your thoughts on it? Should it be expanded if so to who and who not to and why, if not why not.
Reply 139
So.. The EU now says that almost 6000 regulations have been repealed since 05 (not surprising since the EPP has been dominant) and the trade shy EU is going for one with the USA.

Any thoughts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending