The Student Room Group

UCAS firm choice

I have offers from Bath and Leeds for psychology and I am not sure which one to pick as my firm (Surrey is my insurance).

I have come up with pros and con lists but I still am not sure.

Leeds:
pros
-diversity
-lots of optional modules that i like
-nice student union building
-work experience =
- a 12 month*work placement year
- a summer internship or shorter placement as part of your course
- Summer internships on campus.
-can do other modules from other subjects
-many societies that i am interested in
-nice accommodation
-in city centre and 10 min walk away from shopping centres
-abroad and study placement year

cons
-far from london

Bath:
pros:
-small city, there is quite a bit to do (since there are 2 universities here). Bristol is also only a 15 min train away
-nice accommodation
-has societies i am interested in
-placement programme
-offers many part-time jobs aimed at students (so they don't interfere with your studies, unlike conventional part-time jobs) that pay much more than other part-time jobs (usually ~£8-10 per hour)
-liked the campus when I visited

cons
-lacks diversity (white, upper-middle class) but there are asians
-more expensive
-quieter = not a city
-work load
-no placement year or study abroad option
Original post by gogozoro
I have offers from Bath and Leeds for psychology and I am not sure which one to pick as my firm (Surrey is my insurance).

Leeds:
pros
-diversity
-work experience =
-nice accommodation

cons
-far from london

Bath:
pros:
-small city, there is quite a bit to do (since there are 2 universities here). Bristol is also only a 15 min train away
-nice accommodation
-placement programme
-offers many part-time jobs aimed at students (so they don't interfere with your studies, unlike conventional part-time jobs) that pay much more than other part-time jobs (usually ~£8-10 per hour)

cons
-more expensive
-quieter = not a city
-work load

Hi @gogozoro
Congratulations on your uni offers!

Although I don’t study in Bath or Leeds, my hometown is near Leeds and I know the city well.
Leeds is a great city for student life and there’s always events going on in the city. You’re right, it’s very diverse and it sounds like the course is good too.

If you’re worried about the distance from home, maybe you could look at travel costs, your university calendar/term dates, and see if it’s easily accessible to travel home if you wanted to. I was unsure about the distance when choosing to move to Birmingham as I wanted to be closer to home, but I loved the university and the course, and so the distance became a compromise.

Bath seems like another good choice too. I would start by comparing the two courses as your priority for choosing the university, as you’ll be studying the course for a few years and you want to enjoy it. Then you could broaden your comparison to the accommodation, cities, societies, etc, if you’re still struggling.

Best of luck with starting in September!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by gogozoro

Leeds:
pros
-diversity
-work experience =
-nice accommodation

cons
-far from london

Bath:
pros:
-nice accommodation
-placement programme

cons
-more expensive
-quieter = not a city
-work load

Hey there,

To me it seems like you have already got a preference for one uni as it has less cons in its list! Leeds sounds like a great choice :smile:

As a current Psychology student, I would highly recommend opting for a degree where you can do a sandwich/placement year. The field of Psychology is very competitive and if you have work experience and other graduates don't, it will set you above the rest. As long as the degree is BPS accredited, it is important to have the option to choose modules you enjoy, as it will make studying a lot easier. Of course there will always modules that are not the best.. (for me thats anything stats related!!) so it's good to have some you enjoy :smile:

I can imagine the idea of a big move away from home is menacing, but I promise you'll be okay! The uni will hold lots of events during freshers (normally theres one like everyday!) to keep you so busy, you won't have time to get homesick. Fresher events are really good ice breakers to make friends too. It depends on the uni, but I know we get various weeks off, and almost a month off for Xmas so it's enough time to warrant travelling home and spend some time with your family. Although many students don't go home as much once they settle in and celebrate a break from uni work with their flatmates.

It is probably worthwhile taking a day trip to leeds to view their campus.

Good luck in your decision,

Lauren -Official Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest