The Student Room Group

Lancaster or York Psychology?

I've received offers from both Lancaster University and the University of York to study Psychology, I'm unsure which to choose as my firm choice.

The rankings seem to even out as Lancaster is higher overall but York is higher specifically for Psychology. And with York being RG I thought there might be a higher employability % but dk if this is true.

The pros I've considered for York are the fast track PhD programme and the city seems to have more things to do. For Lancaster the pros are the minor subject and it seemed to have a more social community (after going to open days and offer holder days for both).

Would really appreciate any info on e.g. 2nd/3rd year private accommodation prices, societies, college events, wellbeing support etc anything that makes the universities different from each other.
Original post by Void11
I've received offers from both Lancaster University and the University of York to study Psychology, I'm unsure which to choose as my firm choice.

The rankings seem to even out as Lancaster is higher overall but York is higher specifically for Psychology. And with York being RG I thought there might be a higher employability % but dk if this is true.

The pros I've considered for York are the fast track PhD programme and the city seems to have more things to do. For Lancaster the pros are the minor subject and it seemed to have a more social community (after going to open days and offer holder days for both).

Would really appreciate any info on e.g. 2nd/3rd year private accommodation prices, societies, college events, wellbeing support etc anything that makes the universities different from each other.

Rankings are a very dodgy tool to use. And when it comes to psychology, it doesn't matter - what matters is the BPS accreditation. Both universities are accredited, so try to go for the university you like the most. That being said, and without knowing too well how the fast-track DClinPsy programme works in York (it's not a PhD!), that seems to be a massive advantage in favour of York if you want to become a clinical psychologist in the future.

I'd also suspect that you'll get more detailed answers to your questions if you specifically look around in the Lancaster and York forums here on TSR, so make sure to check those out :smile:
Original post by Void11

Hi @Void11,
Congratulations on your offers from Lancaster and York!
I'm currently in my 3rd year at Lancaster, so will happily provide you some info on Lancaster, and i'd certainly agree that Lancaster, both the city and the uni have a real community feel.
Firstly, for 2nd and 3rd year accommodation, there's a few options. You can carry on living on campus, or move into town. In terms of living in town the university has a lettings agency called 'Lancaster University Homes' which are really useful and help students find accommodation in town as they check to make sure the landlords and the houses are up to a good standard. Alternatively, the university has some accommodation in town called chancellors wharf, which is next to the canal and is designed the same as on campus accommodation with shared bathrooms, so this can be a good bridge between campus and living in a private house in town.
There's so many societies at Lancaster, with a guaranteed society for everyone with all the different sports teams, even including underwater hockey, lots of music, theatre, craft and many other societies. A full list of societies can be found here Groups @ Lancaster Students' Union (lancastersu.co.uk).
The colleges really make Lancaster different to many other uni's, they act as a smaller community on campus within the wider Lancaster community and run lots of events throughout the year during freshers week, weekly quizzes, Karaoke nights, end of year parties, sporting competition, there's lots to get involved in within the colleges. They also run weekly wellbeing events, and there's lots of wellbeing support within the colleges as well as within the wider uni itself.
If you have anymore questions about Lancaster, i'd be more than happy to help!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Void11

Hi! Congratulations on your offers!

In addition to what others have said, I also recommend looking at the modules and specifications for Psychology for each university as typically these won’t be exactly the same at each university, so perhaps you may end up preferring the structure of one course over the other!

You’ll be able to find the course structure for BSc Psychology using this link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/psychology-bsc-hons-c800/2025/

And if you would like more information about Master’s or PhDs in Psychology at Lancaster Uni, then you can use the following link: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/psychology/

I would also say that the college system within Lancaster University is really great because it makes it a lot easier to make friends as a lot of the social activities are organised by each college during Freshers Week. The college system also gives a lot more wellbeing support as there is a wellbeing and support team within the college, as well as a university wide support team.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions you may have! 🙂

Jamimah
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by Void11

Hi!

I studied a different course at York, but if you have any questions about student life feel free to ask away! I loved my three years at York and got stuck in with lots of societies and activities.

We have some blog posts written by Psychology students that might be useful, and you can also use our chat to a student page to contact a Psychology student and ask them your course questions! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest