The Student Room Group

School Sets

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hotpud
I don't have a problem with tiers. Whatever works. Something worth pointing out though is that setting students in school doesn't work. It benefits top set students only. None top set students fair worse than in other settings. The current trend in education and especially in Maths is something called mastery. Part of the mastery framework involves having mixed ability classes.

Why do you think that setting only benefits top students? And for subjects that have tiers how will having no sets work (because I can already see the issues having no sets in GCSE MFL to the point where my teacher admitted that it was a problem to have a grade 3 student in the same class a grade 9 student, especially if they're doing a different tier)?
Also mixed sets for subjects like, MFL, English, Maths and Sciences rely too much on the teacher being able to simultaneously support, work a teach pupils of vastly different abilities in my opinion. Especially when you combine the fact that for these subjects bar English there are tiers, so those doing foundation tier would have to learn irrelevant content that they wouldn't be assessed on in the exam (same for science when it comes to triple vs combined science). I don't know about anyone else here but my teachers did a pretty poor job when it came to being able to work with teachers of vastly different abilities, they let the struggling students fall behind.

Only reason why I support sets for GCSE MFL btw is because there's a foundation and higher tier other than that, wouldn't care about having sets in such subject (as in I wouldn't see the need for sets if tiers were to go because it's not a core subject).
Original post by Talkative Toad
Why do you think that setting only benefits top students? And for subjects that have tiers how will having no sets work (because I can already see the issues having no sets in GCSE MFL to the point where my teacher admitted that it was a problem to have a grade 3 student in the same class a grade 9 student, especially if they're doing a different tier)?

There is very little evidence that supports it as an idea. Like so many things that schools do, it is one of those interventions which on the surface feels obvious but when you look a bit closer, there is no evidence to support it. Thankfully education has finally caught up and Ofsted are now very keen to see schools implementing evidence based approaches. To help schools wade through the mountain of educational studies the Education Foundation Trust has made a website that summarises key ideas. Here is setting and streaming
https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/teaching-learning-toolkit/setting-and-streaming
Original post by hotpud
There is very little evidence that supports it as an idea. Like so many things that schools do, it is one of those interventions which on the surface feels obvious but when you look a bit closer, there is no evidence to support it. Thankfully education has finally caught up and Ofsted are now very keen to see schools implementing evidence based approaches. To help schools wade through the mountain of educational studies the Education Foundation Trust has made a website that summarises key ideas. Here is setting and streaming
https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/teaching-learning-toolkit/setting-and-streaming

That doesn't answer my question on how will no sets work practically for subjects that have tiers? I can see how it can work for English and every other subjects with no tier but can't see how it would work for Maths, Science and MFL unless we we're to ditch tiers because you'd then have some students learning irrelevant content that they wouldn't be assessed on in the exam.
I support no sets for any subject that has no tiers bar English maybe.
Also mixed sets for subjects like, MFL, English, Maths and Sciences rely too much on the teacher being able to simultaneously support, work a teach pupils of vastly different abilities in my opinion. Especially when you combine the fact that for these subjects bar English there are tiers, so those doing foundation tier would have to learn irrelevant content that they wouldn't be assessed on in the exam (same for science when it comes to triple vs combined science). I don't know about anyone else here but my teachers did a pretty poor job when it came to being able to work with teachers of vastly different abilities, they let the struggling students fall behind.

Only reason why I support sets for GCSE MFL btw is because there's a foundation and higher tier other than that, wouldn't care about having sets in such subject (as in I wouldn't see the need for sets if tiers were to go because it's not a core subject).

I have taught a set where half were doing Higher and half Intermediate [when Maths had three tiers]. I had two boards and used different colours - the content did overlap so I'd teach the Intermediate topic then get them working [with the Highers doing relevant questions] then teach the extended 'bits'. It worked but wasn't easy. In the old A level modular spec I sometimes had three different modules going on as the FMaths students had free choice of optionals.
Original post by Muttley79
I have taught a set where half were doing Higher and half Intermediate [when Maths had three tiers]. I had two boards and used different colours - the content did overlap so I'd teach the Intermediate topic then get them working [with the Highers doing relevant questions] then teach the extended 'bits'. It worked but wasn't easy. In the old A level modular spec I sometimes had three different modules going on as the FMaths students had free choice of optionals.

Ah yeah I'm aware that's there's content overlap but under the current foundation and higher tier system (no intermediate unless you're in Wales I think). I'm not sure how you reasonably cope having pupils doing different tiers in the same class, what would the foundation tier students be doing in a lesson on circle theorems (foundation tier Maths doesn't have circle theorems I think but please correct me if I'm wrong) for example?

I guess it depends on how good the teacher is and what they are willing to do to make things accessible for all 🤷🏾*♀️.

Maybe get rid of sets but still separate pupils based on the tier that they are doing but I don't know.
Ah yeah I'm aware that's there's content overlap but under the current foundation and higher tier system (no intermediate unless you're in Wales I think). I'm not sure how you reasonably cope having pupils doing different tiers in the same class, what would the foundation tier students be doing in a lesson on circle theorems (foundation tier Maths doesn't have circle theorems I think but please correct me if I'm wrong) for example?

I guess it depends on how good the teacher is and what they are willing to do to make things accessible for all 🤷🏾*♀️.

Maybe get rid of sets but still separate pupils based on the tier that they are doing but I don't know.

It's much harder with two tiers as there's far less overlap ... even in a selective school I've found you still need sets. We teach Year 7 in classes but by February there is a gap - we put stronger teachers into Year 7 for this reason. [In an old class of mine there was one who is now doing post-doc research in Mats and another who was happy to get a grade C .. a challenge to differentiate such a range well even in Year 7]
There are a number of thoughts I have about this, which I will try to note down. I haven't read the rest of the thread and may not for some time, so apologies if there are repeats of any points. Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to think.

- Children know
Whether you call it set 1, 2, 3 or pink group, orange group, flowers, bees, whatever else. Children know when they're being grouped by ability, as young as year 1. They can work it out from the people they're in a class with. If you're with Hannah the swat, you must be top set because she will be. If you're with snot-bubble Sophie, you're definitely bottom set. Children know that. Trying to disguise it is a waste of time.

- It can be demoralising
I see tonnes of arguments among year 7s and 8s that I teach about who is smarter because of sets. I repeat that it's just rough groupings, it doesn't mean someone is more clever than someone else - it just makes things easier for teachers to teach. But every year it's a sign of intelligence and therefore status.

- It can be easier to teach
Where I work we have 11 year olds holding a teddy and speaking to staff through "emotional response cards". We also have 11 year olds who get through the entire lesson's work in half the time as everybody else and you need to find ways to stretch and challenge them without simply giving them more of the same. As a teacher you are 1 person, and while many classrooms will have teaching assistants, plenty won't. Therefore, having children grouped according to ability makes the gap between the two extremes a lot smaller.

- Peer learning is a thing
Plenty of children like being helpful, and understand more as a result of supporting others. Howard Gardner believes in an "inter-personal intelligence", whereby you can be intelligent at engaging with other people. I'm not agreeing with all his theory, but I do think allowing children to support each other is powerful and important for their own social and emotional development. I also think it's important for those who may struggle to motivate themselves, to see other pupils working hard - competition helps. It's equally important for those who are very talented at Maths/Science/Art to see those who aren't, keeping them humble but also as a confidence boost too.

- Context is everything
This really depends on the school and the department as to whether setting is better or worse. If you're in a selective institution, the entire cohort is all of a more similar minimum standard. The gap between your two extremes is much smaller. There is perhaps then fewer advantages to strict setting in these schools (grammars, independent). This is a generalisation, not every selective school will be disadvantaged by setting. Then there's the subject. Maths departments traditionally use set classes because it's a relatively linear subject of progression. Compared to something like geography, whereby one child could excel at studying earthquakes but struggle with population and human development. Maths is also something where topics can vary in pupil interest, but in order to understand how to do a more difficult puzzle, you need to understand the simple problem first.
It's much harder with two tiers as there's far less overlap ... even in a selective school I've found you still need sets. We teach Year 7 in classes but by February there is a gap - we put stronger teachers into Year 7 for this reason. [In an old class of mine there was one who is now doing post-doc research in Mats and another who was happy to get a grade C .. a challenge to differentiate such a range well even in Year 7]

Yeah I agree, for subjects that have tiers, I can't see how not having sets would work (already failing in GCSE MFL in my opinion). At the very least classes need to be separated based on the tier that the pupils have been entered for in my opinion. So even if there's no "set 1" or "set 2", have it so that a foundation tier pupil isn't in the same class as a higher tier one bare minimum in my view.
That doesn't answer my question on how will no sets work practically for subjects that have tiers? I can see how it can work for English and every other subjects with no tier but can't see how it would work for Maths, Science and MFL unless we we're to ditch tiers because you'd then have some students learning irrelevant content that they wouldn't be assessed on in the exam.

It's called teaching to the top. Everyone learns the same content. The less able get more support and help whilst higher ability are stretched with independent learning tasks. The new Ofsted framework cites a curriculum for life. Education thankfully is no longer just about passing an exam.
Original post by hotpud
It's called teaching to the top. Everyone learns the same content. The less able get more support and help whilst higher ability are stretched with independent learning tasks. The new Ofsted framework cites a curriculum for life. Education thankfully is no longer just about passing an exam.

Teaching everyone regardless of ability and needs the same content for core subjects and languages is precisely my problem. Also @Muttley79 thoughts?

In my case I was not given more support in English, I simply left behind and the teachers didn't care because they were lazy (apologies for such language towards them) and useless (bar 1 English teacher I had).

So the solution to on how to make this work for subjects that have tiers is to get rid of tiers and make things less accessible for lower performing pupils via expecting Johnny who's getting a grade 3/4 in GCSE Maths to know the same content as Abigail who's getting a 9 for a core subject? Sorry but I can't agree with that when it comes to core subjects.

What if tiers don't get scrapped? Then how does no sets work practically?
Teaching everyone regardless of ability and needs the same content for core subjects and languages is precisely my problem. Also @Muttley79 thoughts?

In my case I was not given more support in English, I simply left behind and the teachers didn't care because they were lazy (apologies for such language towards them) and useless (bar 1 English teacher I had).

So the solution to on how to make this work for subjects that have tiers is to get rid of tiers and make things less accessible for lower performing pupils via expecting Johnny who's getting a grade 3/4 in GCSE Maths to know the same content as Abigail who's getting a 9 for a core subject? Sorry but I can't agree with that when it comes to core subjects.

What if tiers don't get scrapped? Then how does no sets work practically?

Ah - of course. But you are mixing two things up here.
1. The idea that a particular teaching strategy is effective or not
2. That teachers are not competent / lazy.

The whole of primary education is based on single set intakes. You have one class of all abilities per year group. Even in schools that have multiple intakes, there is no setting or streaming.

Then we come to secondary schools, children are split into sets or streams and unsurprisingly the grades take a massive dip. Now, this isn't just down to setting but I would wage a reasonable sum of money that a decent study would find that setting had a big impact. It is interesting to note that the exam factory powerhouses in my area do not set and instead have a intensive teacher training programme.

Then we come down to your experience. Sure, you had a duff teacher. I am sorry for that. That doesn't of course stop you from developing those skills for yourself - life long learning and all that.

Teaching to a mixed ability group is challenging and requires good planning on the part of the teacher. Given most teachers are given around 2 hours of planning / marking time but teach 21 - 23 hours of lessons a week, perhaps you might understand why lessons are not planned as well as they should. And BTW, that is only lesson planning. In my last school, lesson planning was my lowest priority. Good old Ofsted loves a document and we spent hours writing lengthy documents on curriculum development, schemes of work, assessment plans, assessments and more besides. And that was just for my subject. We did the same again for the PSHE side of things which in my case was form period.

Thankfully I'm now out of that world and teach in a college. Same challenges, older students. I teach mixed ability and thankfully have more time to plan.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hotpud

The whole of primary education is based on single set intakes. You have one class of all abilities per year group. Even in schools that have multiple intakes, there is no setting or streaming.

Then we come to secondary schools, children are split into sets or streams and unsurprisingly the grades take a massive dip. Now, this isn't just down to setting but I would wage a reasonable sum of money that a decent study would find that setting had a big impact. It is interesting to note that the exam factor powerhouses in my area do not set.

Then we come down to your experience. Sure, you had a duff teacher. I am sorry for that. That doesn't of course stop you from developing those skills for yourself - life long learning and all that.

Teaching to a mixed ability group is challenging and requires good planning on the part of the teacher. Given most teachers are given around 2 hours of planning / marking time but teach 21 - 23 hours of lessons a week, perhaps you might understand why lessons are not planned as well as they should. And BTW, that is only lesson planning. In my last school, lesson planning was my lowest priority. Good old Ofsted loves a document and we spent hours writing lengthy documents on curriculum development, schemes of work, assessment plans, assessments and more besides. And that was just for my subject. We did the same again for the PSHE side of things which in my case was form period.

Thankfully I'm now out of that world and teach in a college. Same challenges, older students. I teach mixed ability and thankfully have more time to plan.

See that's the problem you yourself are admitting that it requires good planning from the teacher, I can't trust all teachers to plan properly from Y7-Y11, not having sets will simply make the problem worst in my view but maybe I'm wrong.

My teachers (so I'm not talking about one teacher only here) wouldn't even mark homework properly, no feedback on anything pretty much, they didn't care if you failed sure they might have be concerned and parents evening but beyond that they didn't care (Sixth Form was a different story, teachers were high quality and were good/great bar 1 or 2) etc. Had to rely on external factors to pass those exams to the point where someone who has never taught the subjects I was struggling with in my life did a better job than my teachers did (not all my teachers were bad but the English ones were terrible). But that's obviously a problem with my old old school and not reflective of all schools.

You're still dodging the primary question: if tiers don't get scrapped, how does having no sets work practically in those subjects? (assuming that not everyone only get's put in for higher tier or triple tier).

I just can't support the removal of sets for core subjects and languages (I'd support it for languages in a heartbeat if tiers get scrapped for said subject).

I do think that maybe for Y7 or maybe even the whole of KS3 there shouldn't be sets though or at least wait until pupils have sat some kind of Y7 assessments before putting them into sets (i.e don't solely rely on sat results to put them into sets).
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Do you think schools should have ability sets for children? I think that there certainly should be ability sets as they'll allow the slower children a chance to learn at a pace that benefits them, but I don't think the sets should be numbered. When I was at Juniors school I was in bottom sets and I remember that one of my mates was in middle set for English and I wanted to be there too. I get the feeling that children in bottom sets will feel like they are less worthy, though I imagine most won't really care.

My school is notorious for their setting/streaming, there's 4 classes that have pupils that are deemed to be 'best' (getting the best SATs results, and best results in tests) and there are 10 total forms/classes from being in one of the middle/bottom sets, most kids in the lower classes feel as if the school don't care about them enough which demotivates them even more (the school even uses results from the 'better' part of the school to base their reputation on). The school also uses test scores from Year 6 to calculate what grades you will get in Year 11, and it's utterly ridiculous. The school uses purely based on tests to see whether your grades to move or not, which in theory doesn't seem that bad, but if you struggle in tests (learning difficulty, mental illness etc.) it's really hard to get decent grades to move up in class, especially if your intelligence is not represented in tests. Most of the kids in extension have a lot of support at home (tutors, pushy parents) and kids in the lower part of the school don't have the same amount of support, or even the funds to be able to buy textbooks.

Also most of the kids that are in the extension (the name they use for the classes) are not from ethnic minority backgrounds, and most of the kids from the middle-lower sets have usually a majority of poc and only a few white pupils, the school is known to have issues with racism and sexism, but 'cleared' it up by putting in a couple BLM lessons at the time set up a committee which hasn't implemented too much change as the problems are deep rooted (the setting and streaming policies) and has not really spoken about it since.

Sets and streaming create different cultures as well, the extension part of the school have alienated themselves from the rest of the year and kids from extension don't usually hang out with others from the lower parts of the school, I'm not sure as to why this is but probably because they think that the lower sets are dangerous or unintelligent, and I've had friends from extension who stopped talking to me because I was in a lower part of the year (though my dislike towards streaming has nothing to do with this).

When using sets in certain subjects like maths or english, doesn't seem that bad but when implemented on a large scale (especially on teenagers) can have more cons than pros.
See that's the problem you yourself are admitting that it requires good planning from the teacher, I can't trust all teachers to plan properly from Y7-Y11, not having sets will simply make the problem worst in my view but maybe I'm wrong.

My teachers (so I'm not talking about one teacher only here) wouldn't even mark homework properly, no feedback on anything pretty much, they didn't care if you failed sure they might have be concerned and parents evening but beyond that they didn't care (Sixth Form was a different story, teachers were high quality and were good/great bar 1 or 2) etc. Had to rely on external factors to pass those exams to the point where someone who has never taught the subjects I was struggling with in my life did a better job than my teachers did (not all my teachers were bad but the English ones were terrible). But that's obviously a problem with my old old school and not reflective of all schools.

You're still dodging the primary question: if tiers don't get scrapped, how does having no sets work practically in those subjects? (assuming that not everyone only get's put in for higher tier or triple tier).

I just can't support the removal of sets for core subjects and languages (I'd support it for languages in a heartbeat if tiers get scrapped for said subject).

I do think that maybe for Y7 or maybe even the whole of KS3 there shouldn't be sets though or at least wait until pupils have sat some kind of Y7 assessments before putting them into sets (i.e don't solely rely on sat results to put them into sets).

The government don't trust teachers. That is why teachers are some of the most monitored employees in the country, why teaching is one of the most stressful jobs and why a third of teachers leave the job within 5 years of qualifying. Maybe we should trust teachers a bit more and give them the time, training and support to allow them to be effective in their jobs? Radical I know, but hey ho. We can hope.

Look - I am not going to argue the toss. My own experience has seen me observe that setting only benefits top sets. The educational research evidence backs that up. There are lots of ways of managing mixed ability classes (see primary). Feel free to google them.

With all due respect, you are offering the classic opinion which is based on the "I went to school therefore am an expert in education". I used to be that person too. Sadly, those in power are also basing their understanding of education on the basis of the fact they too went to school once and feel that setting must work because, well, I was in the top set and I benefitted from setting (see Michael Gove). It is the same fallacy that sees the Tories desperate to roll out a grammar school education despite the overwhelming evidence showing it only benefits those who go to grammar schools.
Original post by hotpud

Wrong - there is setting in every single Primary class I have seen and that goes into the 100s. There are separate tables for Maths and Literacy - with names like hexagon, pentagon, square or animal names but clearly doing different work.
Original post by hotpud
The government don't trust teachers. That is why teachers are some of the most monitored employees in the country, why teaching is one of the most stressful jobs and why a third of teachers leave the job within 5 years of qualifying. Maybe we should trust teachers a bit more and give them the time, training and support to allow them to be effective in their jobs? Radical I know, but hey ho. We can hope.

I have studeied pedagogy too - the lower sets are smaller in Maths and in the comp where I taught every sinleg student got a GCSE. There's no way they would benefit from learning circle theorems ...

I also disgree with most of what you say. Have you actually been in a Primary classroom recently?
Original post by hotpud

Look - I am not going to argue the toss. My own experience has seen me observe that setting only benefits top sets. The educational research evidence backs that up. There are lots of ways of managing mixed ability classes (see primary). Feel free to google them.

With all due respect, you are offering the classic opinion which is based on the "I went to school therefore am an expert in education". I used to be that person too. Sadly, those in power are also basing their understanding of education on the basis of the fact they too went to school once and feel that setting must work because, well, I was in the top set and I benefitted from setting (see Michael Gove). It is the same fallacy that sees the Tories desperate to roll out a grammar school education despite the overwhelming evidence showing it only benefits those who go to grammar schools.

Nah I know people who are teachers and who teach, I know how much planning a teacher needs to do because I see it/hear them talk about it and you're still refusing to answer the question lol.

For subjects that have tiers (Assuming that said tiers don't get scrapped and not everyone gets put in the same tier), how will lack of sets/segregation work practically? I can see it work for every other subject (and do not see the need to have sets for those subjects other than English language maybe) with no tiers (maybe not English language) but can't see how it would work for Maths, Science and MFL without scrapping tiers. If you don't have an answer that doesn't involve scrapping Tiers then that's fine, I'd rather know so that I can stop asking the question and so that I'll give up in trying to get an answer for it.
Wrong - there is setting in every single Primary class I have seen and that goes into the 100s. There are separate tables for Maths and Literacy - with names like hexagon, pentagon, square or animal names but clearly doing different work.

Never seen sets for primary schools beyond different classes in one year group because the year group is big (has more than 30-35 pupils in it) but that's just me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending