The Student Room Group

I sucks at year 9 but can I improve for 3-9 in year 10?

Iv wasted so much times in my school because there a phew teacher in my time and by the time I’m writing this I can tell that my English language is horrible and my point is that I have grade 3 at the moment, and is it possible to get grade 3 to 7-9 for science in year 9 and the headteacher recommend me do double science which is nightmare because to get my career I wanted I need to do triple science which is being a doctor and I was one of the top student in year 8 and now I’m a useless student in year 9 with almost 2 months left for year 9, so am I going to put down in sets for next year for how bad my result for exam and Assessment and stuff, or year 10 is a fresh start, I really hope I can improve in year 10 because I know what I’m capable of,
Thanks for reading this,
I hope y’all respond as well for my question!
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Smartmohmaedx
Iv wasted so much times in my school because there a phew teacher in my time and by the time I’m writing this I can tell that my English language is horrible and my point is that I have grade 3 at the moment, and is it possible to get grade 3 to 7-9 for science in year 9 and the headteacher recommend me do double science which is nightmare because to get my career I wanted I need to do triple science which is being a doctor and I was one of the top student in year 8 and now I’m a useless student in year 9 with almost 2 months left for year 9, so am I going to put down in sets for next year for how bad my result for exam and Assessment and stuff, or year 10 is a fresh start, I really hope I can improve in year 10 because I know what I’m capable of,
Thanks for reading this,
I hope y’all respond as well for my question!
Thanks!
Of course, you can improve. I am currently in year 9 and in set 1 for science. Since I'm only in year 9, they are teaching us GCSE AQA combined trilogy science. Next year, only set 1 can do triple science, which I really want to do because I aspire to pursue medicine. I use COGNITO, and I promise you it's amazing. The videos are straightforward and make it easy to understand. I suggest you start now and not tell yourself, "There are only two months left, what's the point of improving?" Most schools start the GCSE specification in year 10 itself. If you don't start now, what if you can't move up back in year 10 because the people who were already in set 1 did better? I would recommend starting now and securing your place in higher sets sooner or later.
I recently use COGNITO like few weeks and it works great but what I’m trying to say that the school I am in right is under-performing school and the teacher give me an assessment every like 4 months which is so age,btw are you saying that I can only do triple science if I’m in set 1?
You’ll understand why my school is so trash, if I tell you the name which is “Elmfield school”, but I will move to another school in end of this year so that why there no way there that I’ll improve because there isn’t such thing in my school so when I’ll be in year 10, is it possible to move up sets, hopefully set 1.
So thanks for responding,
I know what are you thinking about my school, it that bad, I really wish I wasn’t the student, i really do.
So my only option is just really wait until I’m in year 10 and hopefully be a best student.
Hi, I’m in year 13 now and applied for medicine this year. I just wanted to say not to worry and that it’s good that you’re aware of your weaknesses and want to improve. You still have some time so you can definitely bump your grades up.👍🏾 Also, just wanted to say that it’s not always necessary to do triple science for medicine. If it’s something you want, then by all means, however it’s usually more important to do science A-Levels (specifically bio and chem). I’m not sure about all unis, but I think the grade itself is more important. I did triple science, however my friend did double and still got an interview (I will say though that triple helps with a levels a tad). Applying strategically is key, but obv you don’t need to consider it in too much detail yet. Hope this helped and good luck on your med journey!
Reply 5
I recently use COGNITO like few weeks and it works great but what I’m trying to say that the school I am in right is under-performing school and the teacher give me an assessment every like 4 months which is so age,btw are you saying that I can only do triple science if I’m in set 1?
i don't know about yours , but in my school you have to be in set 1 in year 9 and 10
Original post by PaulineTsh
Hi, I’m in year 13 now and applied for medicine this year. I just wanted to say not to worry and that it’s good that you’re aware of your weaknesses and want to improve. You still have some time so you can definitely bump your grades up.👍🏾 Also, just wanted to say that it’s not always necessary to do triple science for medicine. If it’s something you want, then by all means, however it’s usually more important to do science A-Levels (specifically bio and chem). I’m not sure about all unis, but I think the grade itself is more important. I did triple science, however my friend did double and still got an interview (I will say though that triple helps with a levels a tad). Applying strategically is key, but obv you don’t need to consider it in too much detail yet. Hope this helped and good luck on your med journey!
Thank you so much for telling me that info, so is it true that to do triple science, you would need to be in set one? And is sets important for me to apply for medicine and so on..
Thank you so much for telling me that info, so is it true that to do triple science, you would need to be in set one? And is sets important for me to apply for medicine and so on..

No problem :smile: I’m not sure about set 1 as that’s not how my high school did it. They said it was “competitive” that’s all. However, there were people in my class who did foundation triple science (I’m fairly sure they were in lower sets) so I don’t think it’s a requirement everywhere. Maybe ask when you go to your new school, cos it might differ.
I forgot to add, no one in admissions will know about sets, so it won’t hurt in that sense. But usually set 1 works at a faster pace and might give harder work, so it’s definitely better to be in set 1 or 2.
Thanks once again, I really hope once I move to another school, people would recognise me and get attention, but that the thing, I don’t know about you but for me foundation is somehow hard to get grade requirements for me to go higher, which sound easy right? But iv done so many higher paper and iv got my grades that I wanted in the past, but now im struggling in foundation more than higher which sound weird but so far, I havnt been distracting at all and I revised the correct way and stuff. So yh that what I’m trying to figure it out tbh.
Again thanks for the info
Reply 10
Thanks once again, I really hope once I move to another school, people would recognise me and get attention, but that the thing, I don’t know about you but for me foundation is somehow hard to get grade requirements for me to go higher, which sound easy right? But iv done so many higher paper and iv got my grades that I wanted in the past, but now im struggling in foundation more than higher which sound weird but so far, I havnt been distracting at all and I revised the correct way and stuff. So yh that what I’m trying to figure it out tbh.
Again thanks for the info
It’s actually so refreshing to see someone care a lot for their grades and learning in year 9 as well and I wanna do medicine too..You will definitely do good and go far in life xx
Original post by Alm_xo
It’s actually so refreshing to see someone care a lot for their grades and learning in year 9 as well and I wanna do medicine too..You will definitely do good and go far in life xx
I hope so,
Thanks for saying it, that made me smile for a min.
I also hope that you’ll reach your end goal and be successful!
Reply 12
You can absolutely do well. I got the highest GCSE grades in my year and a lot of that came down to focusing in lessons and doing my homework well throughout school, and then revising everyday in year 11 (plus in the lead up to mocks in year 10). If you set good habits now you’re well on track for good grades.
Original post by Lugg13
You can absolutely do well. I got the highest GCSE grades in my year and a lot of that came down to focusing in lessons and doing my homework well throughout school, and then revising everyday in year 11 (plus in the lead up to mocks in year 10). If you set good habits now you’re well on track for good grades.

Yo thanks for the tips, I have a question btw!!! Is it my choise to choose triple science over combined science or the school decide?
yh thanks!
Reply 14
Yo thanks for the tips, I have a question btw!!! Is it my choise to choose triple science over combined science or the school decide?
yh thanks!

I think that depends on your school and what they say, different school do it differently. At my GCSE school (there were 7sets) people from the top 2 sets could opt to do triple, but at my current school everyone has to do triple. If you’re really worried you could ask your school before who’s doing triple and who’s doing double is finalised, and promise to work really hard for triple, then follow that through by working hard. After all, schools want you to work hard so if that’s an incentive they might allow you.I think I recall someone mentioning it, but some schools may allow you to do science subjects at a level with double science at GCSE (again depends on the school).
Good luck though!!!
Original post by Lugg13
I think that depends on your school and what they say, different school do it differently. At my GCSE school (there were 7sets) people from the top 2 sets could opt to do triple, but at my current school everyone has to do triple. If you’re really worried you could ask your school before who’s doing triple and who’s doing double is finalised, and promise to work really hard for triple, then follow that through by working hard. After all, schools want you to work hard so if that’s an incentive they might allow you.I think I recall someone mentioning it, but some schools may allow you to do science subjects at a level with double science at GCSE (again depends on the school).
Good luck though!!!

If it really depend on my school, then I’m so finished becuase I know my school will never allow me to do triple science but I’m talking about next year meaning I’ll move to another school so I can’t just go to future and ask my future school “can I do triple science” so I wish I can choose in year 10 not year 9 man…
Reply 16
If it really depend on my school, then I’m so finished becuase I know my school will never allow me to do triple science but I’m talking about next year meaning I’ll move to another school so I can’t just go to future and ask my future school “can I do triple science” so I wish I can choose in year 10 not year 9 man…

Ah yes, that is quite difficult. I hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest