The Student Room Group

Set maths

I go to a grammar school so getting grades can be difficult I’ve come to my end of year exams and are stressing that I’m going to get the lowest set set 4 and destroy my futre is it likely I will fail my GCSEs if I’m set 4 at year 9
The whole point of moving you to a lower set would be to ensure you can pass your GCSEs by more likely doing foundation tier so you have the best chance possible to pass.
Original post by Lil.ollie
I go to a grammar school so getting grades can be difficult I’ve come to my end of year exams and are stressing that I’m going to get the lowest set set 4 and destroy my futre is it likely I will fail my GCSEs if I’m set 4 at year 9

firstly youre in a grammar school. lowest set there is the same as set 2 in a regular state school. secondly youre in year 9. this is your last year of no stress. enjoy it
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
The whole point of moving you to a lower set would be to ensure you can pass your GCSEs by more likely doing foundation tier so you have the best chance possible to pass.

What is foundation tier
Reply 4
What is foundation tier

I strongly doubt a Grammar would put you in for Foundation as early as Year 9. Vary few sit Foundation [max grade 5] in a Grammar and the decision won't be made until much later. Many Grammars have stopped having a 'bottom set' because it's meaningless.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger

No decision would be made at this stage - it's far too early. Hardly anyone sits Foundation Maths GCSE in a Grammar.

I also go to a grammar school, and I can guarantee that Set 4 is not the end of the world. There is already a higher standard of education expected by attending a grammar school, so your teachers will be reluctant to put you on Foundation Tier unless they are absolutely convinced that you won't be able to cope with a Higher Tier paper.

What happens instead is that the teachers move at a slower pace (ask more questions, ensure everybody understands before moving on) so that they can see more easily where your weaknesses are and support you with them. Multiple people at my school get 9s in Set 4 every year. Additionally, there's nothing stopping you from moving up in Year 10 or 11, when it matters more.

I find it most concerning that you're catastrophising when it sounds like you haven't even sat the exams yet, so what I would suggest is that you revise well, get extra questions, and ask your teachers for extra support if they can make time for you. Aside from that, sleep well, have a good breakfast, and hope for the best. Your future will be completely unaffected by these exams.

Quick Reply

Latest