The Student Room Group

Historical British TV series?

Excuse me, can anyone recommend me some historical British TV series?
For example, "The Musketeers" and "Merlin",
market.jpgMV5BZTBjYjM3ZjItZTI1MS00ODZhLWFhZDgtODgxMmMzN2JlOTExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_F.jpg
I think they are very good TV series, can anyone recommend some historical British TV series to me?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Blackadder, Brideshead Revisited, Cadfael, Cranford, Downtown Abbey, Foyle's War, Harlots, Sanditon, Sharpe, The Paradise, The Tudors, Lark Rise to Candleford, Poirot, Poldark, Robin Hood, Robin of Sherwood, Upstairs Downstairs, Victoria and Wolf Hall.
Original post by londonmyst
Blackadder, Brideshead Revisited, Cadfael, Cranford, Downtown Abbey, Foyle's War, Harlots, Sanditon, Sharpe, The Paradise, The Tudors, Lark Rise to Candleford, Poirot, Poldark, Robin Hood, Robin of Sherwood, Upstairs Downstairs, Victoria and Wolf Hall.

Thanks for your recommendation:smile:
Horrible history,I think it’s on CBeebies
Reply 4
Do you mean setting or based in historic Britain, or British-made historic programmes?

the Musketeers is set in France, so whilst British made, is not 'about' Britain's history
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by willwongeleven53

I think they are very good TV series, can anyone recommend some historical British TV series to me?

Also, you know it's not very idiomatic to say 'excuse me' in the way you start you post off? I see it in nearly all of your posts, and you're obviously very interested in English language and culture, so I thought I'd point that out. :smile:
🤨 figure that our yourself weirdo than just asking a bunch of strangers for suggestions.
Original post by gjd800
Do you mean setting or based in historic Britain, or British-made historic programmes?

the Musketeers is set in France, so whilst British made, is not 'about' Britain's history

I mean the British-made historic TV series.
Original post by Reality Check
Also, you know it's not very idiomatic to say 'excuse me' in the way you start you post off? I see it in nearly all of your posts, and you're obviously very interested in English language and culture, so I thought I'd point that out. :smile:

thanks
market.jpgMV5BZTBjYjM3ZjItZTI1MS00ODZhLWFhZDgtODgxMmMzN2JlOTExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA4NzY1MzY@._V1_F.jpg

it can only be BLACKADDER!!!

Series 1 - crap, avoid
Series 2 - good
Series 3 and 4 - the best
(edited 2 years ago)
Britannia
Pillars of the Earth
World Without End
The Tudors
Fleabag

Spoiler

thanks

If you are interested in real British History then look for series by Michael Wood.

Otherwise for some sci-fi - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, Blakes 7
Thread has been moved to 'TV shows'. :yy:
Fawlty Towers
You might be interested in something like Britbox - loads of the classics and older shows which used to be on ITV/BBC like Blackadder, Grange Hill, Downton Abbey. Classic Doctor Who etc are on there :smile: I use it mostly for Doctor Who, Grange Hill and Primeval
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
black adder, to the manor born, yes minister all spring to mind :smile:
Reply 17
oh and, of course, midsomer murders
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it can only be BLACKADDER!!!

Series 1 - crap, avoid
Series 2 - good
Series 3 and 4 - the best

thanks
Original post by Alesha1991