The Student Room Group

Speeding

If I’m about to enter a 30kmh road and I see a car approaching but I turn out infront of him with good margins because I know it is safe. Then when I’m on the road I see him catch up to me fast because he was apparently speeding. I wonder who’s to blame in this situation, I can’t see who’s speeding and who’s not. I'm not trying to get hit by testing my luck on roads with higher speeds, but in this situation I know that it would have been good margins if the person was driving the speed limit. I would’ve had over 7 seconds to get going and then to 30kmh.
Reply 1
If there’s no one hurt and it’s about damage you can both tell your sides of the story to the insurance companies and they’ll make a decision. It seems like your observation and giving way to traffic on the main carriageway was highly suspect to me though. If someone’s hurt the police might investigate and try to estimate speeds to assist in apportioning blame
I was always told that a good driver never forces another vehicle to change its trajectory or speed.....
You’d be at fault for failing to observe or anticipate. A lot of good driving is predicting and reacting safely to other people’s sketchy behaviour.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
If there’s no one hurt and it’s about damage you can both tell your sides of the story to the insurance companies and they’ll make a decision. It seems like your observation and giving way to traffic on the main carriageway was highly suspect to me though. If someone’s hurt the police might investigate and try to estimate speeds to assist in apportioning blame

What do you mean by that my observations and giving way was highly suspect?
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
You’d be at fault for failing to observe or anticipate. A lot of good driving is predicting and reacting safely to other people’s sketchy behaviour.

But how do I predict that he was maybe going 10-15 over the speed limit, and I know what you mean by anticipating but won’t that just make me to defensive, just not daring to enter roads when it should be safe??
Reply 6
Original post by Teo21
What do you mean by that my observations and giving way was highly suspect?

You didn’t look properly and judge the speed of on coming traffic and as a result pulled in to the path of a car that had right of way
Original post by Teo21
But how do I predict that he was maybe going 10-15 over the speed limit, and I know what you mean by anticipating but won’t that just make me to defensive, just not daring to enter roads when it should be safe??

You use your senses to determine how quickly the traffic is approaching. The same way you would do when crossing the road safely as a pedestrian.

You can’t initiate an accident and then throw your hands up and say it wouldn’t have happened if the other person wasn’t speeding.

It’s not whether it should be safe, it’s whether it is safe.
It's actual speed that counts, not the speed limit! Common sense!
Reply 9
Original post by Nobody2u
It's actual speed that counts, not the speed limit! Common sense!

Of course I know that… I didn’t go up too the road thinking “oh I should definitely make this because he should be going the speed limit”. I thought he did go the speed limit, I looked properly and though he did go the speed limit so I drove out. It was an honest mistake, haven’t you ever missjudged even when looking properly, I think even good drivers make mistakes. My question was who was at fault if he was speeding. In this case it would not have been my fault because he was the one that had to give way but no one does abide by that rule. I was trying to get an answer to know who would be at fault if I had to give way.
I don't understand the situation. You say you were pulling out implying that the other vehicle had priority, but then you say he had to give way, but no one obeys that rule!! People DO obey that rule, it stops them having accidents especially when they seem incapable of judging the speed of oncoming traffic.
In my opinion 9/10 accidents that you will have, will most probably be your fault!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
In my country we have something called the right way rule, almost no one follows it, I’m not testing my luck with who knows it so I stop when I have priority, everyone does here just to be sure. I missjudged the speed of car coming from the left, and that makes me a really bad driver right?? If you want me to clear anything else up, go ahead and ask. And for the record, aren’t you a bit harsh? I’m not being reckless it was a mistake, but I suppose you haven’t made any because you are to good of a driver?
(edited 2 years ago)
If you're talking about France and the " priorité à droite" people do follow it, at least if they like keeping their cars in one piece. But as this is a British forum, unless you specify that your problem occurred elsewhere, we can't guess. Like driving, storytelling requires a minimum of precision.
Reply 13
Original post by Nobody2u
If you're talking about France and the " priorité à droite" people do follow it, at least if they like keeping their cars in one piece. But as this is a British forum, unless you specify that your problem occurred elsewhere, we can't guess. Like driving, storytelling requires a minimum of precision.

It is a swedish rule, barely anyone follows it, sorry that I didn’t specify, didn’t think I had to since that was a detail in the question that I didn’t think mattered. You are kinda dodging ny question too, haven’t you ever judged the speed on oncoming wrong?
Original post by Teo21
It is a swedish rule, barely anyone follows it, sorry that I didn’t specify, didn’t think I had to since that was a detail in the question that I didn’t think mattered.

You didn't think it mattered to explain that there was a local law covers the exact scenario that you were querying? Or what country you were in? That's like me going onto a Swedish forum and asking for opinions on merging in turn.
Original post by Teo21
You are kinda dodging ny question too, haven’t you ever judged the speed on oncoming wrong?

The onus isn't on other people to now defend their driving. You asked for opinions on the scenario and we're giving them. If we want feedback on our own driving we'll start a thread as you have done. But I'll chip in. Have I ever misjudged the speed of traffic on a road that I am joining? To an extent where I caused an accident or near accident or someone else had to take avoiding action? No, never.
Reply 15
Maybe I should have been more clear on the situation… or definitely, sorry about the confusion. I wanted to know your opinion on the scenario where I have to give way and you did, thanks for that. I should never have brought up that I had priority in that situation because you can’t relate and understand me. I also didn’t want to flip it on you to confess your traffic sins, I saw that one of you basically said that good drivers doesn’t make mistakes and I didn’t agree so I asked if you haven’t done any mistakes in traffic, which maybe was pointless. Sorry about the toxicity I’m a defensive person:smile:, and I didn’t get the answer I wanted to hear, if you know what I mean.
Original post by Teo21
Maybe I should have been more clear on the situation… or definitely, sorry about the confusion. I wanted to know your opinion on the scenario where I have to give way and you did, thanks for that. I should never have brought up that I had priority in that situation because you can’t relate and understand me. I also didn’t want to flip it on you to confess your traffic sins, I saw that one of you basically said that good drivers doesn’t make mistakes and I didn’t agree so I asked if you haven’t done any mistakes in traffic, which maybe was pointless. Sorry about the toxicity I’m a defensive person:smile:, and I didn’t get the answer I wanted to hear, if you know what I mean.

It's no problem. It can be difficult to visualise these scenarios and we can only go off the information you have provided.

In brief, the onus is always on you to drive safely and to take into account other people's behaviour.

Regardless of the laws of the country you are in, if you drive around with the mindset of "I have priority" then you will eventually encounter issues. e.g. if you are on a roundabout and someone emerges unsafely in front of you, you can either drive at them at a constant speed and beep at them causing a near miss, or take appropriate action and make sure everyone gets where they are going safely.

The same applies for speeding or unsafe maneuvers. There's no point getting annoyed about it, you will observe it all the time and just need to anticipate and/or react to it.
Reply 17
Original post by Admit-One
It's no problem. It can be difficult to visualise these scenarios and we can only go off the information you have provided.

In brief, the onus is always on you to drive safely and to take into account other people's behaviour.

Regardless of the laws of the country you are in, if you drive around with the mindset of "I have priority" then you will eventually encounter issues. e.g. if you are on a roundabout and someone emerges unsafely in front of you, you can either drive at them at a constant speed and beep at them causing a near miss, or take appropriate action and make sure everyone gets where they are going safely.

The same applies for speeding or unsafe maneuvers. There's no point getting annoyed about it, you will observe it all the time and just need to anticipate and/or react to it.

Yes, I hate when drivers assert their right in traffic, it can be more dangerous than the fault itself. I know I came of as quite reckless in these texts but I’m really not, I just failed to see that he was going faster than the limit, it was a mistake that I will learn from on my journey to becoming the best driver I can be. I reason I came of as reckless was the way that I said things that can be misunderstood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending