The Student Room Group

Big Four - speeding conviction

If I’m convicted of speeding through court and get 6 points on license or a short driving ban, do I have to declare this to the ACCA and for job applications in Accounting. Will this affect my job applications to the Big Four and big employers? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Based on a cursory google search, it looks like if it was a fixed penalty notice then it's not a criminal conviction and wouldn't need to be disclosed, otherwise if they ask you to disclose any prior criminal convictions you would need to declare it. I doubt it'd really make any difference in the latter case anyway (unless it was like vehicular manslaughter or something) but I couldn't say for sure!
(edited 1 year ago)
Nah not even
Reply 3
No definitely not unless there was a specific criteria in the company job application criteria to have 6 points or less (you are ok) This is mainly for the risk acceptance on company insurance.

Now the Govt have realised speeding is big revenue they have made getting a speeding ticket ridiculously easy - and no it is not a criminal offence.
Original post by Muttly
No definitely not unless there was a specific criteria in the company job application criteria to have 6 points or less (you are ok) This is mainly for the risk acceptance on company insurance.

Now the Govt have realised speeding is big revenue they have made getting a speeding ticket ridiculously easy - and no it is not a criminal offence.

If speeding fines are "big revenue" as you suggest, then it also implies that speeding is a 'big problem', hence the need for more enforcement (and therefore more education, through speed awareness courses) :wink:
I’m most likely going to be convicted through court or receive a short driving ban for speeding on motorway, but I doubt it should be an issue with employers if it’s my only offence?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MovedMaster
I’m most likely going to be convicted through court or receive a short driving ban for speeding on motorway, but I doubt it should be an issue with employers if it’s my only offence?

If you receive a criminal conviction in court you would need to declare it. No idea whether that will be a concern for employers though.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you receive a criminal conviction in court you would need to declare it. No idea whether that will be a concern for employers though.

From speaking to many people, i don’t think it should be a huge issue except with a few employers especially for driving jobs which I’m not applying for. But yeah I guess you can never say for sure, will just have to move on.
Original post by MovedMaster
From speaking to many people, i don’t think it should be a huge issue except with a few employers especially for driving jobs which I’m not applying for. But yeah I guess you can never say for sure, will just have to move on.

Yeah I mean I imagine if financial services firms start barring people for having speeding offenses most of their executive suite would get fired so...doubt it would make a difference.

You would still need to disclose it and not disclosing it may cause more issues than disclosing it would in the first place!
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger

Just because a speeding offence goes to court and the driver is found guilty (or plea of guilty) does not make it a 'criminal' conviction. It is still a summary speeding offence with points and a fine (or disqualification)

In employment it is the excessive points or disqualification that may prevent the use of a company vehicle, or job application refusal and most employers now ask for a validation check code if an applicant is accepted.
Reply 10
OP dont listen to these people. This offence is a non recordable offence so it wont come up in a dbs check. There is no way employers can find out. This is because non recordable offences aren't considered serious enough to be recorded on PNC. The police use this as a scare tactic so people dont speed. The only way employers can find out is if the job involves driving and checks your driving license.
Original post by Boig3488
OP dont listen to these people. This offence is a non recordable offence so it wont come up in a dbs check. There is no way employers can find out. This is because non recordable offences aren't considered serious enough to be recorded on PNC. The police use this as a scare tactic so people dont speed. The only way employers can find out is if the job involves driving and checks your driving license.

When you say 'these people', one person thought that a court-based penalty might need to be declared, and was almost immediately corrected 10 months ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending