The Student Room Group

is it normal for your mum to ignore you when shes mad?

mum and i had a big argument bc she thinks im a "horrible daughter" im refusing to apologise bc lets be honest why should i be nice to someone who isnt even nice to me family or not, now shes ignoring me, i understand shes human and all but rlly ? at 50 years old shes ignoring her kid bc shes mad ? im struggling to understand her , would be nice to hear ppl's opinions
Can I ask about the context of the argument?

I fight with my mom often and she ignores me, but the thing is… she is the person who has raised you since you were young. She also feeds you, gives you shelter and money so that you can live a comfortable life, compared to other children around this world who don’t even have parents. I understand that sometimes they can be really annoying, just simply apologise and tell her that you love her.
Yeah my parents ignores for weeks after arguments
Yup my mum is also in her 50s and is childish, she can go for weeks without talking to me when an argument happens
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

I fight with my mom often and she ignores me, but the thing is… she is the person who has raised you since you were young. She also feeds you, gives you shelter and money so that you can live a comfortable life, compared to other children around this world who don’t even have parents. I understand that sometimes they can be really annoying, just simply apologise and tell her that you love her.

lol i knew someone was gonna say this, look i know thats true but she manipulates me and is a huge bully - raising, feeding and sheltering me is the bare minimum for a parent

lol i knew someone was gonna say this, look i know thats true but she manipulates me and is a huge bully - raising, feeding and sheltering me is the bare minimum for a parent

Yes! when you decide to have children it is your responsibility to do those things, otherwise don't have them

Maybe it’s the bare minimum, but for it. I was abandoned as a baby and left in an orphanage. I was so lucky to have been adopted by a women and raised well. And also providing food, shelter and raising is isn’t an easy job. So you should stop being so ungrateful
Maybe it’s the bare minimum, but for it. I was abandoned as a baby and left in an orphanage. I was so lucky to have been adopted by a women and raised well. And also providing food, shelter and raising is isn’t an easy job. So you should stop being so ungrateful

ermm again its the responsibility u take up when you're a parent, we dont know the full context so u should stop being so rude to someone whos going through a hard time
A lot of parents do the silent treatment trying to punish, gaslight by playing the role of victim or trying to manipulate an apology from the child who they have behaved unpleasantly towards.

I wish that my mother would have ignored me or done the sulky silent treatment whenever she was in a bad mood during the years I was living with parents.
I just got a treble dose of her violent temper and rage.
Then subjected to even more demands, vicious allegations and insults for weeks.
Whatever, I’m going to sleep. Y’all don’t even give proper advice anyways. Don’t come here with a problem and not be open to different point of views, y’all just a bunch of ungrateful kids.

Also, you don’t even give full context, because you can only know one side of the story.
You sound like an abusive parent who does this to your kids too lol. Stop normalizing mental abuse from parents who did their job willingly. Nobody told them to have kids, they went through with it.
That’s their job. There should be no thanks for taking care of something you willingly knew you had to take care of. The silent treatment is a form of abuse, stop normalizing it.
every time i annoy my mom, she always ignores me, even though i didn't do anything wrong.
mum and i had a big argument bc she thinks im a "horrible daughter" im refusing to apologise bc lets be honest why should i be nice to someone who isnt even nice to me family or not, now shes ignoring me, i understand shes human and all but rlly ? at 50 years old shes ignoring her kid bc shes mad ? im struggling to understand her , would be nice to hear ppl's opinions

LITERALLY me rn with my dad (who's 60!). Childish too. He likes to pretend he's younger than he actually is and dyes his hair to hide his greys, which is fine but thats just the tip of the iceberg.
Reply 14

yeah i agree it takes a great deal to pay for food, clothes and shelter. BUT this is the basic need of a child and if parents are signing up for kids, it is their responsibility to give those basic needs + mental and spiritual growth. do you know most criminals are born because of their unhappy childhood? a child shouldnt be ignored by their parent, the parent should be the bigger person and understand the emotions of their child and help them cope up with it. And about the apopligising bit, what if its is the parent's fault? if the child apologizes everytime knowing its not their fault, they'll gather negative feelings and low self esteem. No matter who you are or how old you are, a person should own for their mistake and apologize. Abusing is not normal or right, speaking up is the right thing to do and no one is an exception
Original post by blunette
yeah i agree it takes a great deal to pay for food, clothes and shelter. BUT this is the basic need of a child and if parents are signing up for kids, it is their responsibility to give those basic needs + mental and spiritual growth. do you know most criminals are born because of their unhappy childhood? a child shouldnt be ignored by their parent, the parent should be the bigger person and understand the emotions of their child and help them cope up with it. And about the apopligising bit, what if its is the parent's fault? if the child apologizes everytime knowing its not their fault, they'll gather negative feelings and low self esteem. No matter who you are or how old you are, a person should own for their mistake and apologize. Abusing is not normal or right, speaking up is the right thing to do and no one is an exception

No i totally get this. My mum is always like this to me and she never understand why me or my siblings don't like to talk to her and we try to ignore her a lot and she never realise how it effects us but i think over time we have just got used to this and have just started to ignore because you can't change someone who doesn't want to be changed but you change yourself so i say just ignore and try to do more things that like like clubs and etc to avoid being around her so she understand when she does these things it makes you not want to be with her.
mum and i had a big argument bc she thinks im a

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending