The Student Room Group

Boyfriend getting mad at my overprotective mum

Hi everyone. I am really struggling at the moment so it would be helpful if you guys could give me some advice. I am 17 and my boyfriend is nearly 18, soon to be in uni. I have never been round his house because my mum isn't comfortable with it. I have been dating him for a year bare in mind. He is allowed to come to my house though. He used to be respectful of it and the whole situation wasn't such a big deal. Now things have gotten a lot more worse. He is really angry and upset about it and he keeps telling me that things need to change before he goes to uni but I don't know what to do because my mum still keeps saying no. He told me that we won't get to see each other at all when he's in uni if things are still like this and the relationship just won't work (me not being allowed to go round his house.) He then said that his parents are finding my mum really disrespectful which has upset me. And he keeps comparing our relationship to other relationships and saying that we a normal relationship would be allowed to have sleepovers by now. I have no idea what to do because I have tried to convince my mum and I just feel so guilty that I can't give my boyfriend the relationship he wants.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone. I am really struggling at the moment so it would be helpful if you guys could give me some advice. I am 17 and my boyfriend is nearly 18, soon to be in uni. I have never been round his house because my mum isn't comfortable with it. I have been dating him for a year bare in mind. He is allowed to come to my house though. He used to be respectful of it and the whole situation wasn't such a big deal. Now things have gotten a lot more worse. He is really angry and upset about it and he keeps telling me that things need to change before he goes to uni but I don't know what to do because my mum still keeps saying no. He told me that we won't get to see each other at all when he's in uni if things are still like this and the relationship just won't work (me not being allowed to go round his house.) He then said that his parents are finding my mum really disrespectful which has upset me. And he keeps comparing our relationship to other relationships and saying that we a normal relationship would be allowed to have sleepovers by now. I have no idea what to do because I have tried to convince my mum and I just feel so guilty that I can't give my boyfriend the relationship he wants.
I understand your bf because its frustrating into wanting to improve and progress in your relationship but theres something in the way. Do you know why your mum doesn't like him? Has she said why or is she just one of those people who don't like to see their own daughter happy? What sort of things does he say about your mum? Because the type of things he say can determine if he's a red flag.
Why does he think that you won't be able to see each other at all? While I understand what he's saying, its not like you won't see each other ever again.
It currently sounds like you mum is the problem. Has your mum met his parents? Maybe that could do something?
You'll need to stand up for yourself to your mum sooner or later. Until then it's hard to see a way forward and I can see why he's getting frustrated and losing respect for your mum.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
You'll need to stand up for yourself to your mum sooner or later. Until then it's hard to see a way forward and I can see why he's getting frustrated and losing respect for your mum.
I have tried to stand up for myself, multiple times. Nothing ever changes
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
I understand your bf because its frustrating into wanting to improve and progress in your relationship but theres something in the way. Do you know why your mum doesn't like him? Has she said why or is she just one of those people who don't like to see their own daughter happy? What sort of things does he say about your mum? Because the type of things he say can determine if he's a red flag.
Why does he think that you won't be able to see each other at all? While I understand what he's saying, its not like you won't see each other ever again.
It currently sounds like you mum is the problem. Has your mum met his parents? Maybe that could do something?
She likes him but she just isn’t keen on me going to this house. She says she’s lenient enough with letting him come over and into my bedroom. He also lives 20 minutes away by car so he isn’t the easiest to get to, I can’t just walk to his house which is also why she isn’t keen on it. I have told her I can get a bus but she doesn’t like that idea either. My bf calls my mum controlling and stuff.
Is this like a cultural thing or are these just strict rules your mum has in place . I think you can still have a great relationship without you going over his house or sleeping over . My mum is also strict about going to other ppl’s houses but I think in this situation you boyfriend should be more understanding of your circumstances and not get angry. I know girl who have never been to their boyfriends homes especially at this age so your relationship isn’t abnormal. Also in this post u never expressed what you want ? Do you want to go to his house ?
Reply 6
That's exactly what I think too. A lot of people don't agree with me but considering I am not even an adult yet I don't see it as a big deal. It isn't a cultural thing and it is just the rules my mum has in place. I think my boyfriend pressuring the whole situation is making me want to go less. He definitely thinks it's a big important thing, he even said that to me and I'd understand if we were in our twenties or something but we're not. He is not understanding of my circumstances at all. Nor are his parents. The way his parents talk about my mum is putting me off going to his too.
Well it sounds like it won't work out tbh. I can see your point about feeling pressured and not wanting to disobey your mum. But I can still kinda see his esp if he's been patient and respectful for a year+ he'll likely be feeling pretty insulted by the whole thing, his parents too possibly.
Reply 8
Well it sounds like it won't work out tbh. I can see your point about feeling pressured and not wanting to disobey your mum. But I can still kinda see his esp if he's been patient and respectful for a year+ he'll likely be feeling pretty insulted by the whole thing, his parents too possibly.

Yeah that’s what sucks about it, especially because I have no control over anything and I can’t really change the situation. I guess I will just have to try and keep convincing my mum and also let the relationship take its course.
Reply 9
She likes him but she just isn’t keen on me going to this house. She says she’s lenient enough with letting him come over and into my bedroom. He also lives 20 minutes away by car so he isn’t the easiest to get to, I can’t just walk to his house which is also why she isn’t keen on it. I have told her I can get a bus but she doesn’t like that idea either. My bf calls my mum controlling and stuff.
What does your mum think would happen if you went over to his house?

What does your boyfriend want to do if you went to his that you can't do at yours?

Of course you'll be able to see each other when he goes to uni; him saying you won't is manipulative. Are you planning to go, too? Your mum can't do anything once you're not under her roof.
Hi I understand how you feel i have a strict mum too, i also get why your boyfriend is annoyed at this because he wants to spend time with you but he also should respect your mums opinions and never blame you for any of this - threatening to end the relationship over it is unfair on you but he is probably just fed up. Bringing his parents opinion into this and comparing other couple to you both is not right as well and he should try to understand how you must be feeling too. Your mum should remember you are 17 now and are nearly an adult as well but if she is completely uncomfortable with it then at the end of the day it's her choice till your both 18. It will get better and hes not worth it at the end of the day if he's making you feel bad about it - hope you feel better.
Original post by zzanomonous
Hi I understand how you feel i have a strict mum too, i also get why your boyfriend is annoyed at this because he wants to spend time with you but he also should respect your mums opinions and never blame you for any of this - threatening to end the relationship over it is unfair on you but he is probably just fed up. Bringing his parents opinion into this and comparing other couple to you both is not right as well and he should try to understand how you must be feeling too. Your mum should remember you are 17 now and are nearly an adult as well but if she is completely uncomfortable with it then at the end of the day it's her choice till your both 18. It will get better and hes not worth it at the end of the day if he's making you feel bad about it - hope you feel better.

I'm a bit confused why it's not right for the guys parents opinion to be brought into it while the OP's mum's opinion must be respected?
Original post by zzanomonous

heyy this has made me feel so much better about it all :smile: thank you!
I'm a bit confused why it's not right for the guys parents opinion to be brought into it while the OP's mum's opinion must be respected?

Its absolutely okay for the guys parents to feel like that but if the guy is going to bring it up with his gf he should be understanding and kind about it not make her feel worse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending