The Student Room Group

Learn Direct Computer Science Access Course

Hi,

I'm looking at starting a AHE Computer Science course with Learn Direct very soon. Does anyone have any experience with them, and specifically this course?

Iv'e seen online that they don't have the best reputation in regards to tutors, however I really want to go to uni next year and this is basically my only option to make that happen.

Any advice at all would be appreciated, thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by owenpritch
Hi,

I'm looking at starting a AHE Computer Science course with Learn Direct very soon. Does anyone have any experience with them, and specifically this course?

Iv'e seen online that they don't have the best reputation in regards to tutors, however I really want to go to uni next year and this is basically my only option to make that happen.

Any advice at all would be appreciated, thank you!

I started this course in November with the aim of having it completed by June 2022. I'm finding it super difficult, especially the first 4 units.

If this is your only option, go for it. You'll only have regrets if you don't :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by zurii
I started this course in November with the aim of having it completed by June 2022. I'm finding it super difficult, especially the first 4 units.

If this is your only option, go for it. You'll only have regrets if you don't :smile:

Hey pal, thanks for the response

I ended up doing it and am on Unit 9 of 18, going ok so far!
Reply 3
Hey pal, thanks for the response

I ended up doing it and am on Unit 9 of 18, going ok so far!

I'm still stuck on Unit 2 lol. I really feel like the first 4 units are so irrelevant.
Reply 4
Original post by zurii
I'm still stuck on Unit 2 lol. I really feel like the first 4 units are so irrelevant.

Yeah unit 2 was pretty difficult, the first 5 units are so boring but it gets a bit interesting when you get to the actual computer science stuff
Reply 5
Ah I'm glad to hear you say that. When do you expect to be finished by and what course will you take at university? I've been offered a conditional place at University of Gloucestershire for Computer and cyber forensics BSc (hons).
Reply 6
Original post by zurii
Ah I'm glad to hear you say that. When do you expect to be finished by and what course will you take at university? I've been offered a conditional place at University of Gloucestershire for Computer and cyber forensics BSc (hons).

Just butting in, but when/how did you apply for University of Gloucestershire? I've been thinking of starting a learndirect course now in January (with the hope to start uni September 2022), but I dunno if the timeline makes sense (I think the UCAS deadline is in January?).

Also, what did they base their conditional offer on? If you've only completed a few units, is that enough to work as 'predicted grades'? I also don't understand if learndirect offers references?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, it's all just a bit confusing, haha :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by SappaQuo
Just butting in, but when/how did you apply for University of Gloucestershire? I've been thinking of starting a learndirect course now in January (with the hope to start uni September 2022), but I dunno if the timeline makes sense (I think the UCAS deadline is in January?).

Also, what did they base their conditional offer on? If you've only completed a few units, is that enough to work as 'predicted grades'? I also don't understand if learndirect offers references?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, it's all just a bit confusing, haha :smile:

UCAS deadline is end of january, they can give you a reference after Unit 5 and predicted grades after Unit 9

It would be possible to start now and finish the course by the end of June (the deadline) but it would be pretty tight so you'd have to work quickly, hope that helps!
Reply 8
UCAS deadline is end of january, they can give you a reference after Unit 5 and predicted grades after Unit 9

It would be possible to start now and finish the course by the end of June (the deadline) but it would be pretty tight so you'd have to work quickly, hope that helps!

Thanks so much, that's helpful! How long does each unit generally take would you say?
Reply 9
Original post by SappaQuo
Thanks so much, that's helpful! How long does each unit generally take would you say?

I'm taking roughly 10 days per unit? not including a break that I took over Christmas

You could definitely do this faster though as I procrastinate an insane amount, only thing you have to take into account is the response time from tutors because it can be 3-4 days sometimes, which will take up even more time if you're sending drafts in for units 1-9

They said to me when I signed up that the quickest you can do it is 6 months so its definitely possible, although I'd get to work soon if you're set on doing it

All the best!
Beware with Learn Direct - I completed a different course and it took them a year to send me the certificate and the tutor refused to provide a reference with the result that I lost out on a University place. Fortunately I got one elsewhere. I enjoyed my course but was not impressed otherwise.
Reply 11
Original post by BethPants
Beware with Learn Direct - I completed a different course and it took them a year to send me the certificate and the tutor refused to provide a reference with the result that I lost out on a University place. Fortunately I got one elsewhere. I enjoyed my course but was not impressed otherwise.

Jesus, sorry to hear that. What was their reason for not giving you a reference?
Reply 12
Original post by Deshie
Hey, is there any chance you have discord or something so I can talk you about the course? I'm doing it as well however I've run into wall that is unit 9. The material from the course is so bad for Unit 9, I'm kinda lost. It would be helpful if you could help me out with some understanding thanks

Is your unit 9 the spreadsheet unit? I found that to be absolutely horrendous as well
Reply 13
hey i need some help with unit care to share the work, if your doing the computer science work im struggling will pay for help
Hi,

I know I'm very late to this thread but I've just started the Computer Science course through Learn Direct and I'm just wondering if anyone else found the Unit 5 - Using Spreadsheet Software unit as hard to follow as I am? Does it get any easier as the course goes on?

Has anyone completed it? Is anyone able to help me? Thanks
Reply 16
Hi I’m planning on to do an access course (computer science)on Learndirect if I start in September or October how long will that take and also when can you start your ucas application with them on time
Reply 17
Original post by Stace.S
Hi,

I know I'm very late to this thread but I've just started the Computer Science course through Learn Direct and I'm just wondering if anyone else found the Unit 5 - Using Spreadsheet Software unit as hard to follow as I am? Does it get any easier as the course goes on?

I'm finding it really difficult too, can't really get past it :frown: apologies as I'm even later to the thread
Reply 18
Original post by Zhong Lee
I'm finding it really difficult too, can't really get past it :frown: apologies as I'm even later to the thread

Hi is there anyway I can message on discord or any other platform I want to ask you more about the course pleasee
Reply 19
Original post by nini1106
Hi is there anyway I can message on discord or any other platform I want to ask you more about the course pleasee

sure, I don't think I'd be much help though 😂 my username is dalmendra on discord, I'll probably delete this message once you see it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending