The Student Room Group

incognito mode

how does it actually work because im confused? if im on my home computer on incognito mode, can my employed still see my history? idk how to works and why its a thing
Reply 1
because it says that my history can be visible to an employer and school but is it when my computer is on their network or can it be any?
They will not, they will not be able to see your history or anything else in incognito mode.
However, you can suffer the danger of a teacher seeing your screen and seeing that you are using it, and if your school uses a software called "Imperio", they can watch your screen from any device with authority (they can also control your computer).
Incognito mode was made so that your search isn't affected by past searches, you won't leave any trace, your history won't save and for people who want to watch p*rn without having to worry about search history.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
because it says that my history can be visible to an employer and school but is it when my computer is on their network or can it be any?

The sites you access will be visible to whoever operates the network you're connecting to, since they're in a position to monitor the network traffic.
Reply 4
Incognito mode only hides your search history. Everything you access over the internet, unless using a VPN, is recorded by your organization/school's router, giving a record of sites and their addresses that you have accessed, even via incognito. That's why it's still accessible for those who own the system you're on, as they can view what you've done on that. While some places don't monitor it that carefully, others do and use it to block sites and check that users aren't accessing unwanted sites.

In short, whoever owns the router that you connect over the internet too can see every site you've accessed. Your place of work can't see your stuff (unless they have 3rd party software on your laptop) if you're at home, but the person who owns your home router can, and vice versa.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by {Moss}
Incognito mode only hides your search history. Everything you access over the internet, unless using a VPN, is recorded by your organization/school's router, giving a record of sites and their addresses that you have accessed, even via incognito.

To say "it's recorded by the router" is a bit too strong. The information is visible to the router; whether or not it's recorded is a matter of whether the router is capable of doing that, if and if is, whether it has been configured to.
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
To say "it's recorded by the router" is a bit too strong. The information is visible to the router; whether or not it's recorded is a matter of whether the router is capable of doing that, if and if is, whether it has been configured to.

My apologies about that. From my experience most routers from their set-up/admin website allow you to see all recent URLs travelled to as an automatic safety feature, and I'd generally expect it from a school/organization, however I get that I was wrong in my previous post. Thanks for the information, sorry again :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by {Moss}
My apologies about that. From my experience most routers from their set-up/admin website allow you to see all recent URLs travelled to as an automatic safety feature, and I'd generally expect it from a school/organization, however I get that I was wrong in my previous post. Thanks for the information, sorry again :smile:

It depends what spec of router you're looking at. Maybe it's the sort of thing home broadband kit can do, but a school/college/university/business may have tens/hundreds/thousands of concurrent users and be running different types of kit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending