The Student Room Group

alevel resources?

i am starting my alevel subjects next week which is such a big jump im actually kinda scared tbh, but in a good way! however, i feel like my school hasnt really provided us with anything regarding books i can buy or any resources to be honest. I am doing history biology and chemistry (i am so excited for history), but i have no idea what to actually buy yet, so im here to ask what are te best textbooks/online revision sources for my subjects?
I am doing
- aqa biology and chemistry
- ocr history (russia, early tudors and germany)
(especially history, tbh even in the gcse i felt like there were hardly any online resources for history beause there are so many topics and exam boards, but hopefully its not the same for alevel?)
Thank You!
Original post by dormir07
i am starting my alevel subjects next week which is such a big jump im actually kinda scared tbh, but in a good way! however, i feel like my school hasnt really provided us with anything regarding books i can buy or any resources to be honest. I am doing history biology and chemistry (i am so excited for history), but i have no idea what to actually buy yet, so im here to ask what are te best textbooks/online revision sources for my subjects?
I am doing
(especially history, tbh even in the gcse i felt like there were hardly any online resources for history beause there are so many topics and exam boards, but hopefully its not the same for alevel?)
Thank You!

For your science ones I would say see if there are any cgp guides they always help :smile: . I’m also going into y12 but omg maths textbooks are so expensive but luckily my friend found some free online ones.
Reply 2
Original post by sara572729
For your science ones I would say see if there are any cgp guides they always help :smile: . I’m also going into y12 but omg maths textbooks are so expensive but luckily my friend found some free online ones.

ooh are u planning on doing bio chem and maths ? (only because u seem to know about the sci books), and yeah my friend is doing maths they are always a bit pricey tee hee
ooh are u planning on doing bio chem and maths ? (only because u seem to know about the sci books), and yeah my friend is doing maths they are always a bit pricey tee hee

I’m doing maths further maths bio physics but a bit worried I’ll be the only girl in my further maths class but yeah hopefully it will be okay. I need to start revising a bit more I think because one of my future bio teachers are terrible. wbu do u feel prepared because I don’t icl 😰😭😭😭
Reply 4
I’m doing maths further maths bio physics but a bit worried I’ll be the only girl in my further maths class but yeah hopefully it will be okay. I need to start revising a bit more I think because one of my future bio teachers are terrible. wbu do u feel prepared because I don’t icl 😰😭😭😭

woow its giving women in stem okay girll i see you i look forward to history bc the topics seem interesting but ive heard people go crazy over chem so im kinda icky about that. bio gcse i liked so im not 100% worried but everyone says it gets sm harder so im not sure tbh. teacher wise im also doing okay so i think year 12 will go smoothly (i hope?)
woow its giving women in stem okay girll i see you i look forward to history bc the topics seem interesting but ive heard people go crazy over chem so im kinda icky about that. bio gcse i liked so im not 100% worried but everyone says it gets sm harder so im not sure tbh. teacher wise im also doing okay so i think year 12 will go smoothly (i hope?)

Yeah apparently bio is content heavy so u might wanna pre learn some content and do questions. idk abt chem but someone was telling examiner reports are useful for history but not too sure on this bc I’m not doing history. Are u hoping to go into med or dentistry with ur a levels ?? :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah apparently bio is content heavy so u might wanna pre learn some content and do questions. idk abt chem but someone was telling examiner reports are useful for history but not too sure on this bc I’m not doing history. Are u hoping to go into med or dentistry with ur a levels ?? :smile:

wow u know me a bit too well. I’m actually kinda planning to do dent bc I think my gcses were good enough (hopefully). idk dent has just been rlly cool to me ever since I got braces on hence why I’ve been looking in to it. And you? Are u planning on med/dent?
wow u know me a bit too well. I’m actually kinda planning to do dent bc I think my gcses were good enough (hopefully). idk dent has just been rlly cool to me ever since I got braces on hence why I’ve been looking in to it. And you? Are u planning on med/dent?

LMAOO most people who do chem and bio wanna do those. Atm not really sure what i want to do so trying to keep my options open and i just chose what i like. I sorta hate chem bc im a bit bad at it. What did u get in gcses?
Reply 8
LMAOO most people who do chem and bio wanna do those. Atm not really sure what i want to do so trying to keep my options open and i just chose what i like. I sorta hate chem bc im a bit bad at it. What did u get in gcses?

yeah I’m not really unique lolol. tbh I had this FAT dilemma and was genuinely thinking about law bc I got a 9 in Lang and history but I really like biology so I stuck with the og plan

- I got a 998888877 (which is kinda boujie)

And you?
yeah I’m not really unique lolol. tbh I had this FAT dilemma and was genuinely thinking about law bc I got a 9 in Lang and history but I really like biology so I stuck with the og plan

- I got a 998888877 (which is kinda boujie)

And you?

dw u can always have law as a back up. bc i dont think they care abt a levels (not sure abt this)

slayyyy for ur grades

i got
99999888877 and an a in additional maths (fsmq)

low key i was a bit disappointed but it is what it is and im using it as motivation to do better in a levels
Reply 10
dw u can always have law as a back up. bc i dont think they care abt a levels (not sure abt this)

slayyyy for ur grades

i got
99999888877 and an a in additional maths (fsmq)

low key i was a bit disappointed but it is what it is and im using it as motivation to do better in a levels

girl? I’m speaking to a smart person bc why would u be disappointed RN that’s so good. And esp if u think about it, unis rlly only look at ur top 8 grades, and u would technically have all A stars to them sooo u did amazing

hm so what plans do u have for y12/13, as in, extra curriculars or anything?
girl? I’m speaking to a smart person bc why would u be disappointed RN that’s so good. And esp if u think about it, unis rlly only look at ur top 8 grades, and u would technically have all A stars to them sooo u did amazing

hm so what plans do u have for y12/13, as in, extra curriculars or anything?

aaw thanks u did amazing too !!! idk for y12 , i was gonna get a job at a charity shop or smth but idk if ill have the time. I might enter some essay competitions and im trying to get work exepreince but i have some already. I also have created a wider reading list. i really need to stop procrastinating with revision though and I’ll probably do the ukmt and bpho bc my school let me do it each year. What abt u ?
(edited 7 months ago)
I am doing
Thank You!

for bio + chem buy the cgp revision guides, they are so good. chemrevise.com also has a revision guide for every exam board! physics and maths tutor will also have notes + exam questions for most subjects. About textbooks, on your first lesson teachers will probably provide you with a textbook, but if they don't you can probably find an online version of all textbooks but if you would like a physical textbook you can check Facebook marketplace,ebay,depop,vinted for textbooks as many y12/y13 students are trying to get rid of theirs at a very low price!
(sorry for history idk any resources) but I think 'my revision notes by Hodder' will have a revision guide for your topics.
I am doing
Thank You!

hey check the tyrion papers website. they have great resources too
Reply 14
aaw thanks u did amazing too !!! idk for y12 , i was gonna get a job at a charity shop or smth but idk if ill have the time. I might enter some essay competitions and im trying to get work exepreince but i have some already. I also have created a wider reading list. i really need to stop procrastinating with revision though and I’ll probably do the ukmt and bpho bc my school let me do it each year. What abt u ?

this is so late im so sorry bubs but hows school been? im thinking of doing an epq and volunteering at my dentist place if they let me i hope. i also may sign up for this student wellbeing programme to sound cool. also chem has actually made me dizzy bc i walked out of the lessons knowing absolutely NOTHIN it was hard. bio has been HEAVY with content but actually kinda fun. and history has been amazing jadore l'histoire. u should give me a narrative account of ur week
Reply 15
Original post by jasonsworld
for bio + chem buy the cgp revision guides, they are so good. chemrevise.com also has a revision guide for every exam board! physics and maths tutor will also have notes + exam questions for most subjects. About textbooks, on your first lesson teachers will probably provide you with a textbook, but if they don't you can probably find an online version of all textbooks but if you would like a physical textbook you can check Facebook marketplace,ebay,depop,vinted for textbooks as many y12/y13 students are trying to get rid of theirs at a very low price!
(sorry for history idk any resources) but I think 'my revision notes by Hodder' will have a revision guide for your topics.

i actually did end up buying these history books and they are basically those gcse books every edexcel history person would use, they seem nice and simplified which i like about them. thanks for the recommendation! the school also actually lent us some textbooks for history which was nice of them!
Reply 16
I am doing
Thank You!

https://chemguide.co.uk is excellent for explaining chemistry content
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com for a load of PPQs for bio and chem
and we were recommended this textbook for chemistry, I found it mostly pretty decent :smile:
this is so late im so sorry bubs but hows school been? im thinking of doing an epq and volunteering at my dentist place if they let me i hope. i also may sign up for this student wellbeing programme to sound cool. also chem has actually made me dizzy bc i walked out of the lessons knowing absolutely NOTHIN it was hard. bio has been HEAVY with content but actually kinda fun. and history has been amazing jadore l'histoire. u should give me a narrative account of ur week

Omg hey girl. School is actually so tiring I love maths and fm it’s great but like physics is a bit boring ans bio is so content heavy but I’m trying to get ahead. I am planning to swap physics for chem but It’s annoying bc I can’t actually move for a month. I have no work experience LOL but just applied for some at a hospital 🏥 so let’s hope I get it. It’s great that your loving history but like OH MY GOD the amount of like learning ahead I’m having to do for a levels is crazy but Fridays are my break days so gonna chill today and read!! Yay. Have any idea what ur epq question is gonna be ?? ngl my friend group left so the first few days was kinda hard trying to make freinds but now it’s getting better so school is actually okay like 6/10
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 18
Omg hey girl. School is actually so tiring I love maths and fm it’s great but like physics is a bit boring ans bio is so content heavy but I’m trying to get ahead. I am planning to swap physics for chem but It’s annoying bc I can’t actually move for a month. I have no work experience LOL but just applied for some at a hospital 🏥 so let’s hope I get it. It’s great that your loving history but like OH MY GOD the amount of like learning ahead I’m having to do for a levels is crazy but Fridays are my break days so gonna chill today and read!! Yay. Have any idea what ur epq question is gonna be ?? ngl my friend group left so the first few days was kinda hard trying to make freinds but now it’s getting better so school is actually okay like 6/10

aw friends leaving are annoying luckily my main trio stayed in tack hopefully u find new cool ones? update i dropped history lool i do maths bio chem with an epq now which is so basic but slay either way i actually have a job interview today which im hoping i do okay in. BIO IS FEROCIOUS theres actually so much but it isnt hard in a way? so its okay. chem is HARD and maths is kinda fun? thing is there are so so so much reosurces online for these subjects so i hope it doesnt get too bad? my epq im planning on doing it around facial reconstruction (which kinda goes hand in hand with my dentistry) OR ill do something about thalidomide (if u dont know it search it its so cool). but yeah thats kinda my school life now all is kinda swell 8/10. and you gal? how are youuu

aw friends leaving are annoying luckily my main trio stayed in tack hopefully u find new cool ones? update i dropped history lool i do maths bio chem with an epq now which is so basic but slay either way i actually have a job interview today which im hoping i do okay in. BIO IS FEROCIOUS theres actually so much but it isnt hard in a way? so its okay. chem is HARD and maths is kinda fun? thing is there are so so so much reosurces online for these subjects so i hope it doesnt get too bad? my epq im planning on doing it around facial reconstruction (which kinda goes hand in hand with my dentistry) OR ill do something about thalidomide (if u dont know it search it its so cool). but yeah thats kinda my school life now all is kinda swell 8/10. and you gal? how are youuu

Omg I’m so sorry I forgot to reply earlier I’ve just been so busy. I get what u mean bio is actually so much and chem is gross litch got 9/16 on a test last week 😭😭😭 maths and fm is fun but fm is a bit much. Ur epq topics acc sound sick I looked them up a while ago just forgot to reply. BUT WE MADE IT TO HALF TERM YAYYY luckily I have two weeks so it’s one week going out and the next week revision. I’ve been like jumping between friends at school so it’s just normal rn and omfg do u have work experience bc I’ve been getting rejected from so many !!! I pray I find some. Also for dentistry look at clch ( if u live near) bc they have dentistry work experience . Like I got an interview but she said she didn’t have any doctors I could shadow bc it’s mainly other stuff like nurses dentists radiographers idk but u should look at it . Let me know how half term goes for u queen!! im also thinking of starting a grow ur grades thing on tsr bc I haven’t done much work or super curricular stuff but idk yet

Quick Reply

Latest