The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths

Any general tips for a year 11 taking maths Edexcel?
Eat, sleep and breathe past papers
Reply 2
Original post by cuffingmajeans
Eat, sleep and breathe past papers

🫡 yes
Original post by dmedz
🫡 yes

Sorry that is genuinely the best advice. I did the same exam board and I started by learning all the topics (VPN for infinite free notes on SaveMyExams), then I made a cheat sheet for all I had to memorise (Quadratic formula, sine, etc) and then used the cheat sheet while doing untimed sets of papers, moved to timed, and when everything was memorised, timed papers with no notes
Reply 4
Original post by cuffingmajeans
Sorry that is genuinely the best advice. I did the same exam board and I started by learning all the topics (VPN for infinite free notes on SaveMyExams), then I made a cheat sheet for all I had to memorise (Quadratic formula, sine, etc) and then used the cheat sheet while doing untimed sets of papers, moved to timed, and when everything was memorised, timed papers with no notes

Thank you so much! You individually have helped me so muchhh... I will use your cheat sheet method. How did you do the VPN for SaveMyexams? sorry im not familiar with vpns really. Because you have to pay a membership for it.?
Reply 5
Hi, I’m quoting myself here where I posted this advice on another thread:

y10 I was a grade 4 in foundation maths and by y11 I was a grade 8/9 student in higher maths. I really did struggle at the beginning of the year so got out the textbook and did an half an hour a day of maths during autumn term of y11 I essentially tried and exhausted all the questions I could find (past papers, textbook, maths genie). For my mocks I achieved a grade 6, I then went to all lunchtime and break time maths support sessions and started using the youtuber The GCSE Maths Tutor, which really helped me target my weaknesses and go up another grade. I used his online platform for a while(needs a small payment but is on discount during exam season) and he offers free predicted papers which I mostly used just for some more practice.

In the exam season term I did targeted papers that I found on a website called My Maths Cloud, which offered Grade 7 and Grade 9 targeted papers as well as shadow papers (released by edexcel and other exam boards but not acesssible on their website) that contained a lot of problem solving questions the sort that you see at the back of the maths paper. I used the youtuber Mitchell Dye alongside these as he offered walkthroughs of these papers.
Reply 6
Original post by dmedz
Any general tips for a year 11 taking maths Edexcel?

hi i basically went from a 2 in the start of year 10 to a 7 in my results. the biggest thing you can do is definitely practice. start doing past papers its never too early. use mathsgenie. u don’t have to do it all the time but make sure you are being consistent and when ur like 3 months away keep practicing from pmt they will have questions if u have finished all the past papers. and when gcses are approaching so many sites will be uploading predicted papers so re-do all the papers u have completed and do predicted papers. this can be accessed from tutors on tiktok sometimes, corbett maths, maths genie. so many sites have them so use them. make sure u watch gcse maths tutor on youtube it helped explain some of the 7-9 questions. most of all make sure u have a good understanding of the basics before u advance to the tougher questions. and defo don’t slack the day before ur exam cuz i prolly could have done better if i didn’t cuz gcse season didn’t feel real to me
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by dmedz
Thank you so much! You individually have helped me so muchhh... I will use your cheat sheet method. How did you do the VPN for SaveMyexams? sorry im not familiar with vpns really. Because you have to pay a membership for it.?

So sorry I used my old account to reply to this last time- didn't realise I was still signed into it. This was all I said:

No worries at all!

Save my exams is a great tool I adored, but at some point they put a limit in how many notes you could access per month. Any free VPN (make sure it is legit though, do your research) would get you around that because it would hide your location (or, well, it worked for me). I'm not sure if there is another easier method? But this is coming from someone who didn't have the money for expensive resources so if you can afford it for the year, I would recommend it. If you buy it you get all the videos as well and stuff. Then again, you could find free videos on YouTube or through whichever source your school offers for maths. Sorry, every time I respond to you it's always an essay🤣

Quick Reply

Latest