The Student Room Group

Anyone here done or currently doing an MSc pre-registration physiotherapy?

I'd love to talk to anyone currently doing an MSc pre-registration physiotherapy.

I want to get a sense of the workload. I'm undecided as to whether to apply to the MSc or the BSc.

Thanks.
Original post by sarahcarr
I'd love to talk to anyone currently doing an MSc pre-registration physiotherapy.

I want to get a sense of the workload. I'm undecided as to whether to apply to the MSc or the BSc.

Thanks.

Just started MSc this year. So far its manageable although exams and assessments are coming in Jan. Anatomy / MSK is 1 joint per week which is rapid and must be very difficult for anyone that didn't do anatomy during undergrad. What was your undergrad in ?
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous789123
Just started MSc this year. So far its manageable although exams and assessments are coming in Jan. Anatomy / MSK is 1 joint per week which is rapid and must be very difficult for anyone that didn't do anatomy during undergrad. What was your undergrad in ?

My undergrad and masters are in related subjects. However I am currently doing a postgraduate certificate in the anatomical sciences at Edinburgh University which I can bump up to a diploma. I've also done lots of CPD as a personal trainer on anatomy and physiology. My problem now is that I can't get funding for the BSc, so have to apply for the MSc, but they all require degrees in related subjects :frown: Stuck.
My undergrad and masters are in related subjects. However I am currently doing a postgraduate certificate in the anatomical sciences at Edinburgh University which I can bump up to a diploma. I've also done lots of CPD as a personal trainer on anatomy and physiology. My problem now is that I can't get funding for the BSc, so have to apply for the MSc, but they all require degrees in related subjects :frown: Stuck.

You can get funding for another undergrad degree. As Physio is a health course it is eligible for this. I thought the same as you and since come across many doing second undergrad fully funded. My suggestion is do the masters, you are more than capable going off what you have completed previously. Push yourself, the course will be tiny 15-20 students compared to the 100+ on the undergrad. The main difference is they cram the content in, and written work is marked at Level 7, which you should be use to :smile:
Reply 4
You can get funding for another undergrad degree. As Physio is a health course it is eligible for this. I thought the same as you and since come across many doing second undergrad fully funded. My suggestion is do the masters, you are more than capable going off what you have completed previously. Push yourself, the course will be tiny 15-20 students compared to the 100+ on the undergrad. The main difference is they cram the content in, and written work is marked at Level 7, which you should be use to :smile:

Sorry! There was a typo in my original message. My undergrad and masters are *not* in related subjects. So I would almost certainly not qualify for the MSc.
Sorry! There was a typo in my original message. My undergrad and masters are *not* in related subjects. So I would almost certainly not qualify for the MSc.

Undergrad is fully funded for second undergrad pre reg health care degrees. Ive come across many current students doing this. search this site and you will find recent forums asking the same. Go for it Physio is the best !
Reply 6
Undergrad is fully funded for second undergrad pre reg health care degrees. Ive come across many current students doing this. search this site and you will find recent forums asking the same. Go for it Physio is the best !

Thank you! I am starting an Access Course as we speak. It's daunting...
Thank you! I am starting an Access Course as we speak. It's daunting...

I did an access 5 years ago. About 10x more assignments than uni but at much lower level. I really enjoyed it. You will be just fine !
Reply 8
I did an access 5 years ago. About 10x more assignments than uni but at much lower level. I really enjoyed it. You will be just fine !

Thanks so much, anon. I have a million more questions :smile: If you're happy about me asking them please let me know!
Thanks so much, anon. I have a million more questions :smile: If you're happy about me asking them please let me know!

I was terrified starting an access 13 years after my As levels that I got two U's in and 13 years out of education. Ask anything :smile:
Reply 10
I was terrified starting an access 13 years after my As levels that I got two U's in and 13 years out of education. Ask anything :smile:

Seriously well done! And thank you so much for offering to answer :smile:
I wanted to know whether it's possible to do an Access course and work part-time? How many hours were you spending on it roughly per week?

I'm also wondering how I should approach my UCAS personal statement being a mature student. Any tips?

Thanks!
Seriously well done! And thank you so much for offering to answer :smile:
I wanted to know whether it's possible to do an Access course and work part-time? How many hours were you spending on it roughly per week?

I'm also wondering how I should approach my UCAS personal statement being a mature student. Any tips?

Thanks!

Yes its possible. I worked about 16 hours a week. If you have already done an undergrad and post grad I Wouldn't worry to much about time on it though. If i remember right most time out of class wasn't learning as such and more completing assignments because different modules could of had one on at the same time. I think it was about 15 in total and they ranged from 2000 word essays to presentation etc. But remember you won't be spending hours critically evaluating peer reviewed research for these and taking the time to do that.

Personal statements a hard because I feel they can be Uni specific. Overall for me personally my life experience stands out from many students so i focused on that, obviously linking it to physio. But they really do want some form of hands on experience. I worked as an physio assistant for a year after being rejected twice but even that took 25 job applications to get. Alot of students asked private physios for a day shadowing. Maybe see If your college has a kind of placement link to your local hospital that could send an email to see if you could spend some time in the hospital.

Also don't worry about distinctions or merits and hitting entry requirements if you are. Will be no problem for distinction across the board !
Reply 12
Yes its possible. I worked about 16 hours a week. If you have already done an undergrad and post grad I Wouldn't worry to much about time on it though. If i remember right most time out of class wasn't learning as such and more completing assignments because different modules could of had one on at the same time. I think it was about 15 in total and they ranged from 2000 word essays to presentation etc. But remember you won't be spending hours critically evaluating peer reviewed research for these and taking the time to do that.

Personal statements a hard because I feel they can be Uni specific. Overall for me personally my life experience stands out from many students so i focused on that, obviously linking it to physio. But they really do want some form of hands on experience. I worked as an physio assistant for a year after being rejected twice but even that took 25 job applications to get. Alot of students asked private physios for a day shadowing. Maybe see If your college has a kind of placement link to your local hospital that could send an email to see if you could spend some time in the hospital.

Also don't worry about distinctions or merits and hitting entry requirements if you are. Will be no problem for distinction across the board !

Sorry! I thought this reply was posted but it wasn't!

Thank you so much for your response.

More questions!

1. Is it just a matter of emailing hospitals if I want some experience of e.g. neuro physio? And would universities regard experience in e.g. a private MSK clinic as valuable as in a clinical setting?

2. Can you tell me what the interview was like and what kind of questions they asked? I'm very nervous about it.

3. When you say no problem for distinction across the board, is that cos it's easy?

Thanks so much again!
Sorry! I thought this reply was posted but it wasn't!

Thank you so much for your response.

More questions!

1. Is it just a matter of emailing hospitals if I want some experience of e.g. neuro physio? And would universities regard experience in e.g. a private MSK clinic as valuable as in a clinical setting?

2. Can you tell me what the interview was like and what kind of questions they asked? I'm very nervous about it.

3. When you say no problem for distinction across the board, is that cos it's easy?

Thanks so much again!

1. Yes, try and find out a contact for the educational department at the hospital. Or ask about your college for the placement co ordinator. Private MSK of course is valuable. What Unis want is a real understanding of the Physiotherapy. From my own experience last week in intensive care, respiratory is a world away from MSK. They want to know, you know physio basically isn't just MSK injuries. 'The scope of the profession' is a phrase they love.

2. 3/3 of my interviews were online. Most usually do in person team bonding stuff. In one of them we were asked 'What is health?' and had 10 mins to write up our thoughts. Another I was sent a paper on patient centred care and had to discuss it during the interview. The first question ALL asked was 'Why have you chosen Physiotherapy'? I think they all also wanted examples of team working, problem solving, difficult situations. And one asked 'Do you know any up and coming areas of physiotherapy'? I spoke about first contact Physio's. there's also the usual, know about your uni's speciality and facilities and why you want them specifically.

3. Id never say anything is easy. But a lower academic level is required. There is no critically evaluating everything within an inch of its life like in a masters.

Hope that helps. Anymore just ask
Reply 14
Thank you. I’m not with a college as I’m doing my access course online independently…that’s the challenge I’m facing in knowing where to start getting work experience.
Reply 15

Hi,

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread but I thought I’d ask some advice of you too if you wouldn’t mind? I’m starting the pre-reg course in Jan and don’t really have a particularly strong academic background in physio specifically but have done some related stuff; nevertheless, I’m effectively a career changer and, yes, I know it’ll be tough haha! Due to this, I do want to learn as much as I can to get a bit of a head start - would you be able to recommend any resources etc that you think would be good?

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by APS379
Hi,

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on this thread but I thought I’d ask some advice of you too if you wouldn’t mind? I’m starting the pre-reg course in Jan and don’t really have a particularly strong academic background in physio specifically but have done some related stuff; nevertheless, I’m effectively a career changer and, yes, I know it’ll be tough haha! Due to this, I do want to learn as much as I can to get a bit of a head start - would you be able to recommend any resources etc that you think would be good?

Thanks very much :smile:

resource wise its hard to say because there are so many books and stuff. I like flashcards for muscles, ligaments, nerves etc. I would look over anatomy. Nerves are important so just have a look around the major common nerves. But don't get to hung up on learning to much before. What was your undergrad in?
Reply 17
resource wise its hard to say because there are so many books and stuff. I like flashcards for muscles, ligaments, nerves etc. I would look over anatomy. Nerves are important so just have a look around the major common nerves. But don't get to hung up on learning to much before. What was your undergrad in?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Well I’ve been working for the last 10 years but my most recent degree was a sport and exercise psychology MSc so not entirely unrelated and I’ve done a few qualifications on the side like sport massage.
It just so happens that the course leader emailed us yesterday and advised that they’ll be sending a pre-course handbook out to help us prepare and she said it would be good for us to get familiar with a few conditions such as cerebral palsy and Parkinson’s so that’s something I’ll look into.
Reply 18
Original post by APS379
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Well I’ve been working for the last 10 years but my most recent degree was a sport and exercise psychology MSc so not entirely unrelated and I’ve done a few qualifications on the side like sport massage.
It just so happens that the course leader emailed us yesterday and advised that they’ll be sending a pre-course handbook out to help us prepare and she said it would be good for us to get familiar with a few conditions such as cerebral palsy and Parkinson’s so that’s something I’ll look into.

Could I ask where you're doing this degree, and whether they asked for A level biology?
Reply 19

Hi, I wanted to ask about the placements during the pre reg course. I’m due to start my course in Feb but somewhat ironically I suffered a disc bulge a year ago and still suffer with sciatica. I think I’m right in saying that you have to be assessed by a health team before being allowed to do placements - is that correct? And if so, what sort of checks take place? I’m concerned about whether my sciatica would be an issue here.

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending