The Student Room Group

Nutrition or dietetics

Hi, i am an international student and have done my bsc(hons) human nutrition and dietetics from Pakistan. I am confused between Ms nutrition with public health from Sheffield or dietetics from teesside. What should i go for. Will i be able to register myself as a dietetian if i go for ms in nutrition in UK,considering that i have done my bsc from Pakistan.
Dietitian is a protected title, so you need to do a pre-registration course in a specific degree (at undergraduate or postgraduate level). If you search for the website NHS Health Careers, they have a course search option to allow you to see all pre-registration courses in the UK.

If you are a registered dietitian in Pakistan you could look into getting registered with the UK Professional body (although I'm not sure if that is possible).

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I am confused when it comes to doing Ms in slightly different field(nutrition) . Will i be able to practice as a dietetian even if my Ms is in nutrition. Considering the possibility that i might be able to get myself registered under hcpc (taking a risk here because i think my experience of 9 months won't be enough and i have a 4 years nutrition and dietetics degree from a recognised institute in Pakistan ). Doing Ms in different field won't take away any opportunity of becoming a dietetian, right? Beacuse i have heard that doing internship in UK on your own is difficult almost impossible without registration fron hcpc. How am i suppose to register without enough experience or gain experience with out registration. Help plz.
Original post by Aliza i
Thanks for the reply. I am confused when it comes to doing Ms in slightly different field(nutrition) . Will i be able to practice as a dietetian even if my Ms is in nutrition. Considering the possibility that i might be able to get myself registered under hcpc (taking a risk here because i think my experience of 9 months won't be enough and i have a 4 years nutrition and dietetics degree from a recognised institute in Pakistan ). Doing Ms in different field won't take away any opportunity of becoming a dietetian, right? Beacuse i have heard that doing internship in UK on your own is difficult almost impossible without registration fron hcpc. How am i suppose to register without enough experience or gain experience with out registration. Help plz.

You CANNOT work as a dietitian in the UK without first getting a pre-registration degree or having your international dietitian registration approved by the relevant UK bodies. The dietitian profession is regulated by a government body called the HCPC, and just like e.g. nursing, radiography, etc. you must have registration to call yourself by that title.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, but you will not get work in the NHS dietitian departments as a nutritionist. Unfortunately for you, this is the law here, as a way of protecting patients. So you have 3 options as I see it:
1. Take a pre-registration degree course (safest option);
2. Try to see if your Pakistan registration can be transferred to the UK (possibly a complicated process with no guarantee of success);
3. Work as a nutritionist (you will only be able to work privately or for some companies, you will never work in an NHS dietitian service).

I dont think I'm allowed to post direct links on TSR, so if you put "Pakistan dietitian UK HCPC" into Google, you'll see a HCPC website story of someone in a similar position to you who got their Pakistani dietitian registration recognised in the UK. So it is possible :smile: I don't know much about HCPC dietitian recognition, but hopefully you can find some more relevant information :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mackers_ire
You CANNOT work as a dietitian in the UK without first getting a pre-registration degree or having your international dietitian registration approved by the relevant UK bodies. The dietitian profession is regulated by a government body called the HCPC, and just like e.g. nursing, radiography, etc. you must have registration to call yourself by that title.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, but you will not get work in the NHS dietitian departments as a nutritionist. Unfortunately for you, this is the law here, as a way of protecting patients. So you have 3 options as I see it:
1. Take a pre-registration degree course (safest option);
2. Try to see if your Pakistan registration can be transferred to the UK (possibly a complicated process with no guarantee of success);
3. Work as a nutritionist (you will only be able to work privately or for some companies, you will never work in an NHS dietitian service).

I dont think I'm allowed to post direct links on TSR, so if you put "Pakistan dietitian UK HCPC" into Google, you'll see a HCPC website story of someone in a similar position to you who got their Pakistani dietitian registration recognised in the UK. So it is possible :smile: I don't know much about HCPC dietitian recognition, but hopefully you can find some more relevant information :smile:

Thanks, i will look into it. I have received an offer letter from Sheffield for nutrition with public health, and an interview date from teesside for dietetics. Wish things go smooth for me.
I am just a little worried because of accommodation and job market in Middlesbrough as compared to sheffield (major reason for my second thoughts), otherwise dietetics( pre registration) course is my first priority.
Original post by Aliza i
Thanks, i will look into it. I have received an offer letter from Sheffield for nutrition with public health, and an interview date from teesside for dietetics. Wish things go smooth for me.
I am just a little worried because of accommodation and job market in Middlesbrough as compared to sheffield (major reason for my second thoughts), otherwise dietetics( pre registration) course is my first priority.

Hallo, Aliza! I saw your comments and concerns about dietetics just now. May I ask? I am an international students too and I am curios about the MSc Dietetics (pre-registration) things in UK university. Having said that you've offered to study at Teeside University for MSc Dietetics (pre-reg)... may I know that: did you write in your personal statement that you will work in UK upon completion of the study? And also, I am curios that, did you by any chance mention about having a prior experience in UK settings? Because I am pretty sure that the reason why I did not get accepted to the MSc Dietetics in one of the UK university because I dont have any prior experience with UK settings. Thank you so much. Any answer will be a massive help for me ^^

Quick Reply

Latest