The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thats the aim! Most of my friends have degrees in sciences so getting tutors wont be too tricky and i think the added experience of studying at degree level has made taking in new information a lot easier.

Yes, i said at the end i'm applying elsewhere but with Cambridge being my reach school, and others schools pretty much having the same requirements, im aiming for Cambridge. My questions arent really about the grades, more just about the process of alevels around degree work etc.
Reply 61
Do you apply in your third year, or after you graduate to Graduate medicine?
Third year
Reply 63
Original post by hungrysalamander
Third year

But if the requirements are 2:1, and you don’t have this grade yet in second year/beginning of third, how do you apply? Is there some predicted grade going to GEM course at unis?
Original post by One12
But if the requirements are 2:1, and you don’t have this grade yet in second year/beginning of third, how do you apply? Is there some predicted grade going to GEM course at unis?

You’d put down your predicted classification, similar to predicted grades for A Level students.
Original post by One12

predicted grades
Reply 66
Third year

And are you thus supposed to do your dissertation and preparation for entry exams and interview in third year at the same time?
Original post by One12
And are you thus supposed to do your dissertation and preparation for entry exams and interview in third year at the same time?

Prep for the UCAT/GAMSAT in the summer before third year; interview prep and dissertation in third year.
Reply 68
Do I apply through ucas the same way as I did for undergrad? Do I need a personals statements then, and anything else apart from a new personal statement, Gamsat exam, work experience, interview preparation, I need to keep in mind?
Reply 69
Original post by naanybready
but then again medical sciences is the best option i have to get into pre-reg/graduate entry of these programmes as i miss out on entry requirements with my grades right now

I wish I could tell you having a relevant science background would be your best option to get into GEM but from personal experience I never felt like this.
Without a science degree, you can still apply to 4 universities for GEM but it really depends on your entrance exam scores.
I have x2 medical sciences related degrees (undergrad and postgrad) and it has not given me any sort of advantage in applying (and neither has the degree classifications). I may potentially have more options to choose from when deciding the 4 unis but those options can quickly be shut down depending on my entrance exam scores, ultimately I can only pick 4 anyway.
Reply 70
predicted grades

And how are these predicted grades decided, I am in my first year biomed and first year count only as 1/9 of the final course grade. Second year counts as 3/9. Who decides whether i am predicted first or second? Do I provide my transcript of my module results?
Reply 71
Original post by One12
And how are these predicted grades decided, I am in my first year biomed and first year count only as 1/9 of the final course grade. Second year counts as 3/9. Who decides whether i am predicted first or second? Do I provide my transcript of my module results?

Your reference will provide the prediction. A transcript isn't required unless they specifically ask you for one. Module marks are optional for the UCAS form.
Reply 72
Original post by asclepeion
Your reference will provide the prediction. A transcript isn't required unless they specifically ask you for one. Module marks are optional for the UCAS form.

But who makes this reference, like should I ask my personal tutor for one? And he will probably look at module marks to decide on whether to reference me a first/upper second I believe? And is it like with a levels, where the predicted class is aspirational?
Reply 73
Original post by One12
But who makes this reference, like should I ask my personal tutor for one? And he will probably look at module marks to decide on whether to reference me a first/upper second I believe? And is it like with a levels, where the predicted class is aspirational?

Probably your tutor because they'll know you? Or you can maybe ask another lecturer who knows you just as well?
I don't know about the predicted class being aspirational (I don't recall ever having aspirational predicted A-levels either)......it's more like what you are mostly likely to achieve = prediction, at least I would've thought
If your tutor doesn't believe you'll get a 1st class and your transcript shows you're barely making a 2:1 or just on a solid 2:1, then it's unlikely your tutor will predict you an aspirational 1st class classification? Unless you can change their mind? Also the minimum is a 2:1 anyway, except some unis will also allow 2:2 if you have a postgraduate degree.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 74
So is it a good plan to prepare for UCAT and GAMSAT throughout my second year, do the tests in march and summer of second year, then ask my tutor for reference and predicted grade in the beginning of third year, and then apply through UCAS? And then prep for interview in beginning of third year
Reply 75
Original post by One12
So is it a good plan to prepare for UCAT and GAMSAT throughout my second year, do the tests in march and summer of second year, then ask my tutor for reference and predicted grade in the beginning of third year, and then apply through UCAS? And then prep for interview in beginning of third year

Asking your tutor at the beginning of third year (which would be mid-September) for an October 15th deadline might be cutting it close, especially as they also have their own commitments? You would also ideally send them a copy of CV/personal statement (draft or final) to help them write the reference, and writing the reference can take time. They also have to adhere to the 47 lines and 4000 character limits.
I'd tell your tutor before beginning of third year, maybe end of second year that you plan to apply and you will be asking them for a reference, giving them a deadline for when you need them to submit. You can't submit your application until they have submitted the reference and my friend had her reference submit at 2pm on the 15th, which was way too close. She almost didn't make the UCAS deadline of 6pm.
Your UCAT/GAMSAT isn't gonna affect the predicted grade your tutor gives you btw
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 76
I heard from someone that university of Keele does graduate medicine, but this university is not listed on any websites along other unis that offer graduate medicine. On the website of uni of Keele it seems like there is some MBChB course. What does this mean?
Original post by Ausickz
Looking for similar advice as Im currently in 1st year of UG at age 19 and looking to get into medicine in 2024 entry. I didn't do science a levels nor a science degree so I guess the only thing I can say is, it will be rigorous but even though Im much younge, people have began med school at 40+ and became doctors so nothing is impossible in the field of medicine.

what UG course are you doing? And is that the only thing youre applying with? I'm in the same situation as you
Reply 78
Original post by One12
On the website of uni of Keele it seems like there is some MBChB course. What does this mean?

MBChB is the medicine course. There are different abbreviations for the same Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degree, just depends on the uni e.g. MBBS, MB BCh, BM BCh, MBChB, MB BChir etc
Hi! I'm a first year chemistry student at KCL and I'm considering doing medicine after graduation. I got 988A*A*A*A*A*AA at GCSE but only ABB at A-Level (A in chemistry). Where is the best place to start to see if doing med is right for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending