The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

What interests me in med specifically is the content and its application. I have experience working in a hospital but it wasn't in a direct healthcare role, but it did involving working with other healthcare professionals so I definitely can see myself working in a healthcare related field in the future.
Original post by girl2487
Offer from Wolfson.

What were you stats and experience?
What were your stats? Welldone on the offer, I am currently a first year BSc Biomed student at KCL and hoping to apply soon !!

Original post by Invective
Exactly what @rafgg said,

Once you've met the minimum academic requirements, work experience will be the deciding factor. If you look through previous Freedom of Information requests for A101 Cambridge, you can see the calibre of applicants academically, and it's common for applicants with 3A*s and a 1st to be rejected and those with lower to be accepted once you're beyond the minimum unofficial requirements (A*AA w/ 2.1 or AAA w/1st minimum AFAIK) your reflection, variety and time committed to your work experiences will determine who gets invited to interview and offered a place.

The marking scheme they use to allocate points for your experiences and academics is publicly available online if you search deep enough into the FOIs.

Good luck!W
What about undergrad and grad at Camb?
Original post by cutelilpapiclown
What were your stats? Welldone on the offer, I am currently a first year BSc Biomed student at KCL and hoping to apply soon !!

I responded to your inbox with a very in-depth response, @girl2487 is a friend of mine, I don't think she checks here much, she has similar stats and I'm sure she would vouch for what I said, I hope it helps you whenever you apply. Good luck with your future application!
Reply 85
Does it still have to be 4 med and one non med course like undergrad? Can I apply to 5 grad med courses in UK unis?
hi im a first year at kcl, doing biomed. i got AAA in levels and became interested in doing medicine this yr.
i was wondering where i should begin, so far I've been doing some research here and there.

any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Hi! Thank you so much for setting up this thread, its very helpful!

I am also considering applying to GEM 2024 and have just finished studying my first year of biomedical science, I have recently started a job as a healthcare assistant to try and gain some experience.

I know how hugely competitive this route is but I'm willing to put as much as I possibly can into it, do you have any advice on how I could make my second year productive for boosting my application? I have been researching the different admission exams for the GEM unis and tried out a couple of UCAT papers to see what they're like, but I'm just feeling a little lost with what I should be focusing on right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much! :smile:
Hi,

Ahh okay thank you so much that is very helpful, would you recommend that it is best to apply to both UCAT and GAMSAT universities? Or would it make no difference in terms of competition if someone just applied to UCAT universities?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, I definitely need to do some more research.

Thank you!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :-)
Original post by juniper_542
Hi! Thank you so much for setting up this thread, its very helpful!

I am also considering applying to GEM 2024 and have just finished studying my first year of biomedical science, I have recently started a job as a healthcare assistant to try and gain some experience.

I know how hugely competitive this route is but I'm willing to put as much as I possibly can into it, do you have any advice on how I could make my second year productive for boosting my application? I have been researching the different admission exams for the GEM unis and tried out a couple of UCAT papers to see what they're like, but I'm just feeling a little lost with what I should be focusing on right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much! :smile:

Hi there,

First of all, I'd like to say that it's great to see that you're doing a job as a healthcare assistant! The experience gained there will definitely help in your interviews, and doing it long-term over the next few months and years will mean that you can talk more extensively about each experience and thought you might have :h:. And it's great to see that you're trying to gain more experience too!

So as others have said, it's way too early for any UCAT prep so please don't worry about that yet! It's okay to have a flick through some past papers, but please don't do any intense prep as you'll risk burning out. So I completely understand wanting to prepare as well as you can for GEM, but preparing well requires you to not also burn out and take things steady - so ideal situation would be to wait a while longer until preparing for the UCAT! :biggrin:

I'd recommend reading our GEM application process guide for now. As mentioned, different unis require different admissions tests for you to do, and we have a list of which unis require which on the blog post there. In general, all of them require you to be quick at reading and comprehending questions/passages, so I recommend doing a bit of reading each day to get better at that if it's not your strong point! In addition, if you wanted to sit the GAMSAT for unis that require that, then I recommend going over your sciences little by little every so often so that you won't have tonnes to revise for when the exam comes round! :h:

That being said, again, there's no point doing all of this prep if you burn out. So at the moment, please only do some prep if you really feel like it and if it's not too often, and most of all focus on getting a good grade for your current degree!

Hope this helps :u:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 91
I’m on 4 year course and wanna apply to med after and I need a 2:1. My 3rd year dropped my mark below a 2:1 in terms of how each year is weighted but by jus looking at the score of each year equally i have a 2:1. Will universities be predicting me to have a 2:2 or will they look at everything equally. 4th year is weighed the highest and I can easily still get the marks.
Reply 92
When I say everything I mean all my module marks, because will they know how much each year is worth or will they jus calculate the regular average not taking into account weight.
Reply 93
No I’m required to just put the marks from each module into ucas. If all the marks are averaged out equally it’s a 2:1 but if you implement the weighing system it’s a 2:2 right now.
Reply 94
No predicted grades you just upload a mark for each module you’ve done so far
Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me showing up here! I'm a recent MSci graduate in Biology at UCL and I'm currently swaying a lot more towards graduate medicine than research (which, up until recently, had always been the plan. I've had to do a lot of reflection this summer).

There are two things I wanted to ask - first, is this thread for those applying for entry in 2023 (so the deadline being October 15th 2022?) or for 2024? I don't think I would have enough time to put forth a decent enough application for this coming application cycle and I don't want to take up too much room in the thread!

Secondly, I was wondering if you had any tips for getting work experience? I'm working as a Research Assistant right now, but definitely need more experience on the healthcare front!

Thank you for time guys! And good luck to you all, I'm sure it will all work out for you :smile:
Reply 96
Hi TSR!
This is my first post so I'm not sure if I am in the right place.
A little background I applied to medicine back when I was 17 and was unsuccessful due to my ucat score.My A-level grades were:
A biology
B chemistry
A* Literature
Since, I have been completing my degree in biomedical science. I am about to undertake a placement year between 2nd and 3rd year and am currently on track to achieve a 2:1. Although, I have fallen in love with medical genetic research working as a HCA during my studies this year has reminded me why I initially wanted to go into medicine. So to sum up a long story I've been researching the best route to get into medical as a postgrad.

I'm aiming to work on the gamsat during my placement I believe it is valid for a minimum of 2-years. As well as prepare for the ucat.

I would be very grateful for any advice on the subject:
Which schools my credentials are best suited to
How much work experience is usually expected
The best way to prepare for the gamsat/ucat etc.
Reply 97
In retrospect I completely agree.

I haven't yet, due to the difference in how it is financed I wasn't sure if it was do-able?
how much maintenance could you get up to if you were doing undergrad med with a degree already?
Original post by naanybready
how much maintenance could you get up to if you were doing undergrad med with a degree already?

It would be means tested, the same way it usually is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending