The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
23 med schools do not require biology

oh, sorry for the wrong Infor.
Hey, I would like to study bio, Chemistry, maths and economics for a levels. I will be doing my gcses this year and my predicted are 998877777. Would it be realistic to apply to unis which take heavy consideration into gcses as I do not have much time to improve these. Thank you.
im currently in year 11 and to be honest when i look back at what i can put on an application, i literally do not have anything. what are some extra curriculars i can do and supercurriculars which unis love ? i have 2 yrs to do this so any tips would be great
thanks for the reply ecolier but i have 1 major question. how do i get all 9s ?

basically im grade 9 in : bio, chem, physics, ancient history, business, grade 8 : art, french BUT grade 6 maths and grade7/8 in english

How can i get grade 9s in maths and english pleeease im struggling with maths, im currently at grade 6/7 and for english consistently grade 7.
if you have a technique or method or resources to get grade 9 in maths and english would be greatly appreciated. many people have just said, oh do practise questions but thats just so vague when i have a very little idea of what to do.

thanks very much
ahaha alright thanks for the advice tho i will crack down on my studying from now on
Original post by zynnjah123
ahaha alright thanks for the advice tho i will crack down on my studying from now on

hi, i’m currently in year 11 too and have dyscalculia which in turn makes me really struggle with maths and revision! however, i think i’ve cracked the code for it as ive seen a tremendous amount of improvement in my work to the point i’m starting to find doing pastpapers a breeze compared to what it used to feel like.

what works for me is doing pastpapers and highlighting what i struggle in most, then i head to mathsgenie where there’s revision practice papers for each specific topic categorised by grade level (1-9), answer keys that show you step by step how to solve questions and videos that really help out. since the advanced info regarding the GCSEs have been released you can use that as a study guide and go through it topic by topic. another thing that’s really helped me out is watching pastpaper walkthroughs on youtube, i try to solve the questions as i watch them so i can compare my working out and answers. honestly, you’ve most likely heard most of this advice elsewhere as it’s pretty generic advice (i think) but it really does work! consistent practice is a real struggle to motivate yourself to do but it is the key!

i hope i can be of somewhat help to you, sorry if i’m not! ++ my apologies if i shouldn’t of posted this here, new to TSR i’m not sure of the etiquette and what is/isn’t allowed in specific forums ^^
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by meowsies
hi, i’m currently in year 11 too and have dyscalculia which in turn makes me really struggle with maths and revision! however, i think i’ve cracked the code for it as ive seen a tremendous amount of improvement in my work to the point i’m starting to find doing pastpapers a breeze compared to what it used to feel like.

what works for me is doing pastpapers and highlighting what i struggle in most, then i head to mathsgenie where there’s revision practice papers for each specific topic categorised by grade level (1-9), answer keys that show you step by step how to solve questions and videos that really help out. since the advanced info regarding the GCSEs have been released you can use that as a study guide and go through it topic by topic. another thing that’s really helped me out is watching pastpaper walkthroughs on youtube, i try to solve the questions as i watch them so i can compare my working out and answers. honestly, you’ve most likely heard most of this advice elsewhere as it’s pretty generic advice (i think) but it really does work! consistent practice is a real struggle to motivate yourself to do but it is the key!

i hope i can be of somewhat help to you, sorry if i’m not! ++ my apologies if i shouldn’t of posted this here, new to TSR i’m not sure of the etiquette and what is/isn’t allowed in specific forums ^^

thanks for posting this !!
genuinely its solid advice and no one yet has crafted it and said it the way you did, i have a similar plan to this and to see someone else who is doing it is great ! thanks and i hope you do well this year
thanks for posting this !!
genuinely its solid advice and no one yet has crafted it and said it the way you did, i have a similar plan to this and to see someone else who is doing it is great ! thanks and i hope you do well this year

i’m incredibly glad i could of been of some help to you, and thank you! the same goes for you :smile:
Can someone who got into cambridge, or oxford medical school tell me how they did it?

or any other medical school, if you could mention your gcse results and alevels and possible curriculars you did ?
(edited 2 years ago)
hi thanks for the reply,

by perfect set of gcses are you saying straight full grade 9s in every subject ? or can it be a mixture of 9s and 8s but mostly 9s which is around what i should get this year ?
also i saw on the website for cambridge that u only need chemistry and a science/maths however i think it talked about how most ppl who got accepted did maths as well ?
(edited 2 years ago)
yeah thanks for the information,
i just wanted to say after checking the cambridge website they said that 95% of ppl who applied to medicine there had 3 science/maths subjects and from these 95% 23% got accepted. 4% of the ppl who applied only had TWO science/maths subjects and 3% of them got in. so surely from those statistics one could say they have a higher chance if they do 2 since most of the ppl who applied with those subjects got in ? or am i reading the data completely wrong ?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine here is the link

and thanks for taking your time to reply
yeah thanks for the information,
i just wanted to say after checking the cambridge website they said that 95% of ppl who applied to medicine there had 3 science/maths subjects and from these 95% 23% got accepted. 4% of the ppl who applied only had TWO science/maths subjects and 3% of them got in. so surely from those statistics one could say they have a higher chance if they do 2 since most of the ppl who applied with those subjects got in ? or am i reading the data completely wrong ?

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine here is the link

and thanks for taking your time to reply

You are reading the data wrong.

4% of people who applied had only 2 science grades. Of those 4%, 3% were offered a place. That's not 3% of the original applicants, that's 3% of the 4%, or 0.12% of all applicants!

If you want a chance of getting in to Cambridge, do 3 science/maths subjects.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PAR2MED
You are reading the data wrong.

4% of people who applied had only 2 science grades. Of those 4%, 3% were offered a place. That's not 3% of the original applicants, that's 3% of the 4%, or 0.12% of all applicants!

If you want a chance of getting in to Cambridge, do 3 science/maths subjects.

PRSOM, I was just about to type this out :tongue:

Think someone calculated a while back it was literally like 1 person a year?
Reply 33
Original post by becausethenight
PRSOM, I was just about to type this out :tongue:

Think someone calculated a while back it was literally like 1 person a year?

I love this, as it is a typical type of UCAT QR question 😂😂
Original post by GANFYD
I love this, as it is a typical type of UCAT QR question 😂😂

It all comes full circle :lol:
does anyone know what the recommended iGCSEs grades for KCL would be? as well as UCL? thank you!
Understood! Thank you ecolier, I appreciate it!
I will be giving my A levels in 2024,
With biology, chemistry and physics as main subjects. May I please know the requirement to procure admission at a medicine school at UK.
Is UCAT mandatory and also what is the preparation time for it?
Currently I am studying at Mumbai (India) Can you please guide me with where the coaching for UCAT can be taken at Mumbai and also the books to be referred for it.
Original post by Tvisha10
I will be giving my A levels in 2024,
With biology, chemistry and physics as main subjects. May I please know the requirement to procure admission at a medicine school at UK.
Is UCAT mandatory and also what is the preparation time for it?
Currently I am studying at Mumbai (India) Can you please guide me with where the coaching for UCAT can be taken at Mumbai and also the books to be referred for it.

Biology, chemistry + any subject is fine for medicine unless you want to study at Cambridge. In that case, you need biology, chemistry and maths or physics.
Not sure what you mean by requirement to procure admission, all you need is to submit a UCAS application before 15th October 2023 which includes a personal statement (4000 characters including spaces), your qualifications and 4 medical schools that you're applying to.
The UCAT is mandatory for all medical schools except:
BMAT medical schools (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Lancaster, Leeds and BSMS; Keele as you're an international student)
Buckingham, UCLAN and Brunel which are only available for international students to apply to directly.

Most people prepare for the UCAT for a maximum of 2 months before the exam as you can burn out. Medify or medentry are good online resources to use for practise and are available through a subscription. There are youtube videos to guide you on how to approach the questions, I don't think that coaching is necessary. The UCAT consortium also provides free sample questions. Each sitting of the UCAT is only valid for the year it's sat so you will need to take the exam in the summer of 2023.
English proficiency tests may be required as well.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Tvisha10
Thank you 😊

Original post by hungrysalamander
Biology, chemistry + any subject is fine for medicine unless you want to study at Cambridge. In that case, you need biology, chemistry and maths or physics.
Not sure what you mean by requirement to procure admission, all you need is to submit a UCAS application before 15th October 2023 which includes a personal statement (4000 characters including spaces), your qualifications and 4 medical schools that you're applying to.
The UCAT is mandatory for all medical schools except:
BMAT medical schools (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Lancaster, Leeds and BSMS; Keele as you're an international student)
Buckingham, UCLAN and Brunel which are only available for international students to apply to directly.

Most people prepare for the UCAT for a maximum of 2 months before the exam as you can burn out. Medify or medentry are good online resources to use for practise and are available through a subscription. There are youtube videos to guide you on how to approach the questions, I don't think that coaching is necessary. The UCAT consortium also provides free sample questions. Each sitting of the UCAT is only valid for the year it's sat so you will need to take the exam in the summer of 2023.
English proficiency tests may be required as well.

May I please know what other options are available with UCAT. I mean if not medicine where else can I procure admission?
Thanks for all the valuable help. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending