The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi
International student, IB high school (HL: Chemistry, Biology, Maths AI/ SL: English B, business, another language),
Here is my list:
UCAT:Manchester,Glasgow or Edinburgh
BMAT:IC,Oxford
The reasons I made this list : those medical schools only care about the UCAT,BMAT,and academics for international students, no equivalent GCSE requirements and so on...
Do you see any issues with this list? Any comments are welcome!thanks.
Original post by little dou
Hi
International student, IB high school (HL: Chemistry, Biology, Maths AI/ SL: English B, business, another language),
Here is my list:
UCAT:Manchester,Glasgow or Edinburgh
BMAT:IC,Oxford
The reasons I made this list : those medical schools only care about the UCAT,BMAT,and academics for international students, no equivalent GCSE requirements and so on...
Do you see any issues with this list? Any comments are welcome!thanks.

Hi! Personally, I’d recommend no more than one BMAT uni and definitely only finalise your choices after sitting the UCAT exam. I have no idea if the September BMAT session will go ahead next year, but Oxford only accept the November sitting anyway, so if you choose to apply to Oxford, you will be applying blind

It’s lovely to see another IB student btw! I took HL Chem, bio and English Lit and SL old Maths in N20, Economics and French B :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Hi! Personally, I’d recommend no more than one BMAT uni and definitely only finalise your choices after sitting the UCAT exam. I have no idea if the September BMAT session will go ahead next year, but Oxford only accept the November sitting anyway, so if you choose to apply to Oxford, you will be applying blind

It’s lovely to see another IB student btw! I took HL Chem, bio and English Lit and SL old Maths in N20, Economics and French B :smile:

As of now, no Sept BMAT this year
https://support.admissionstesting.org/hc/en-gb/articles/4411329628818-Admissions-Testing-sessions-in-2022
I wonder if there is now a considered decision to only have 1 sitting again?
Original post by GANFYD
As of now, no Sept BMAT this year
https://support.admissionstesting.org/hc/en-gb/articles/4411329628818-Admissions-Testing-sessions-in-2022
I wonder if there is now a considered decision to only have 1 sitting again?

This is the 2024 entry thread so wouldn’t OP be sitting the BMAT next year? I still don’t understand the decision to keep cancelling the September session
This is the 2024 entry thread so wouldn’t OP be sitting the BMAT next year? I still don’t understand the decision to keep cancelling the September session

Late night posting!
2 sittings has actually only existed for a very few years, so maybe they are just reverting?
Original post by GANFYD
Late night posting!
2 sittings has actually only existed for a very few years, so maybe they are just reverting?

Ahaha don’t worry! I hadn’t realised the September sitting was a relatively new thing anyway; why can’t they just say they’re not running it anymore instead of always blaming covid?!
Ahaha don’t worry! I hadn’t realised the September sitting was a relatively new thing anyway; why can’t they just say they’re not running it anymore instead of always blaming covid?!

Be open and transparent? Heaven forbid!
Original post by GANFYD
Be open and transparent? Heaven forbid!

😂🤦*♀️
Hi,
I'm an A1 (year 12) student and I've just finished my progress assessments. I've gotten an AAC, in my subjects maths, biology and chemistry respectively. I'm aiming for medicine but with these grades I know I wouldn't be able to get in.

For chemistry especially, I have been getting Bs consistently in my exams throughout the year. I'm guessing my teachers will me the predicted grades AAB. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get A*A*A, and bump up each grade up one grade each by speaking with my teachers.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what I could possibly do to achieve this before September this year for applications. I understand it's a bit of a far stretch, but I'm so uncertain with how it all works and if anyone has any advice for me, in general for being in this position.

Many thanks in advance :smile:
It would be harder for a medicine application, as usually, providing a student can perform well in tests and demonstrate good grades, a teacher would be able to up your predicted grade, however you have limited time due to the earlier deadline for medicine applications
I'm sure your teachers would support you as best they can, so best to have a chat with them, I don't see why they couldn't boost the A's to A*'s, but boosting the C to an A might be harder
Just be aware that Medicine is mega competitive and Unis will not look at those who do not meet the entry requirements in full, and this year many applicants applying with A* grades were rejected.
Original post by honey_bear
Hi,
I'm an A1 (year 12) student and I've just finished my progress assessments. I've gotten an AAC, in my subjects maths, biology and chemistry respectively. I'm aiming for medicine but with these grades I know I wouldn't be able to get in.

For chemistry especially, I have been getting Bs consistently in my exams throughout the year. I'm guessing my teachers will me the predicted grades AAB. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get A*A*A, and bump up each grade up one grade each by speaking with my teachers.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what I could possibly do to achieve this before September this year for applications. I understand it's a bit of a far stretch, but I'm so uncertain with how it all works and if anyone has any advice for me, in general for being in this position.

Many thanks in advance :smile:

A*A*A might be a push, but there’s no harm in trying. You could offer to do another chemistry assessment to prove you could be capable of getting an A (or at least a B), but with AAB predicted grades, medicine isn’t off the table. E.g. Keele and KMMS don’t consider predicted grades in the selection process (try looking into Sunderland too as they are partnered with Keele),KMMS have AAB standard entry requirements and some med schools (Leicester and Liverpool off the top of my head) give A*AB offers so you could probably apply with A*AB. I’m no expert so do some of your own research to confirm this on their websites, check any other conditions and make sure it applies for 2023 entry. Worth researching a strategic application, and if you’re unsuccessful in your first cycle, you can sit A levels, get AAA (or resit until you do) and apply from there, strategically of course. As others have said, medicine is extremely competitive, and many applicants will be predicted much higher than entry requirements, so talk to teachers to see if they’re willing to help, focus on getting a brilliant UCAT score and then make a strategic application in October and you could be in with a chance of an offer. Best of luck!
Hi, you only need AAA predicted for medicine. Some medical schools will place heavy emphasis on A-levels ( Cambs, for example ) and some don't look at predicted grades at all ( HYMS, Brighton and Sussex, Oxford ). Are you contextual or WP? If so, AAB will fit almost all WP entry requirements. :smile:
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hi, you only need AAA predicted for medicine. Some medical schools will place heavy emphasis on A-levels ( Cambs, for example ) and some don't look at predicted grades at all ( HYMS, Brighton and Sussex, Oxford ). Are you contextual or WP? If so, AAB will fit almost all WP entry requirements. :smile:

Wow I tried to list unis that don’t look at predicted grades and got a grand total of 2 off the top of my head, not realising 2 of the unis I applied to don’t use them either :laugh:
Look at me banging on about a strategic application when I clearly didn’t do my research!
Original post by bea_murray0
Wow I tried to list unis that don’t look at predicted grades and got a grand total of 2 off the top of my head, not realising 2 of the unis I applied to don’t use them either :laugh:
Look at me banging on about a strategic application when I clearly didn’t do my research!

Pahaha nonsense I'm sure you did lots and lots of research! I was super surprised about Oxford :biggrin: which of the two did you apply to?

HYMS do look at predictions, but only require AAB. I am pretty sure BSMS use predictions for minimum requirements, too.

Med schools that accept <AAA predicted are Liverpool (did not consider predictions for 2022), Lancaster (and offer AAB with an EPQ), Cardiff, Kent and Canterbury (do not look at predicted grades at all), Birmingham, Aston (do not look at predictions), Sheffield if you offer an EPQ at A with it, HYMS (and if you have an EPQ and make them your firm, this would be your offer too, but the EPQ must be at least an A), possibly Sunderland (they say "It is likely that a number of applicants achieving AAB in the subjects listed will also be admitted" but don't specifically say they will accept AAB predictions, so call and check), Keele, who use the same admission criteria as Sunderland, though their offer will likely be AAA or AAB + A in EPQ, Nottingham and Lincoln.
And Oxford, as pointed out, who also do not look at predictions at all.
Pahaha nonsense I'm sure you did lots and lots of research! I was super surprised about Oxford :biggrin: which of the two did you apply to?

oxford and BSMS haha (also Keele lol)
hellooo i am in year 11 right now and i had some questions about the journey for getting into med school:
1.) What GCSE results did you get
2.) What A levels did you pick and what Results did you get
3.) Is the course really competitive?
4.) What type of skills would you need and what degrees would i need to do at uni
5.) Is it easy to find jobs with a med degree or is it quite hard
Any responses would be appriciated, thank you!
thank you so much! this is really informative :smile:
hi! currently doing my GCSEs this year.
i was just wondering what type of GCSEs you got if you are currently doing medicine or dentistry.
of course, there are the GCSE requirements and I have been on this site to check them out:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

however, i was thinking that if you do get grades higher than the requirements, then will you have a more likely chance of getting in?
i do know how competitive it is.

thanks so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending