The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harlz_chalamet
hi! currently doing my GCSEs this year.
i was just wondering what type of GCSEs you got if you are currently doing medicine or dentistry.
of course, there are the GCSE requirements and I have been on this site to check them out:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

however, i was thinking that if you do get grades higher than the requirements, then will you have a more likely chance of getting in?
i do know how competitive it is.

thanks so much :smile:

My friend got an offer from barts and the london with grades 777777755 with 7s in maths, sciences and eng lang. for a med student thats probably on the lower side of things but it really depends on the med school, some just dont look at gcses beyond like a 6/7 in maths/eng/science. imperial for example dont care about gcses beyond a 6 in english
i was just wondering what type of GCSEs you got if you are currently doing medicine or dentistry.
of course, there are the GCSE requirements and I have been on this site to check them out:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2877/entry-requirements-document-2022-digital.pdf

however, i was thinking that if you do get grades higher than the requirements, then will you have a more likely chance of getting in?
i do know how competitive it is. @hungrysalamander can advise for dentistry but I think it would be similar. :smile:

Hi there.

It depends which med schools you apply to as they have different weightings for GCSEs. Oxford for example is very GCSE heavy whereas Newcastle has no GCSE requirements.

Getting good GCSE grades can help keep your options open but my advice would be to do your research before applying.

Hope this makes sense. :smile:
Best wishes.
(edited 1 year ago)

i do know how competitive it is.

I got 9888888766 and got interviews from all my choices. They don't expect all 9s but make sure you have at least a 6 or 7 in everything. If you want a medical school that ranks highly on GCSEs here are a few: Cardiff, Oxford, Liverpool, Aston, Cambridge, and I think Birmingham (might want to check this though).
Original post by glitteryma_
hellooo i am in year 11 right now and i had some questions about the journey for getting into med school:
1.) What GCSE results did you get
2.) What A levels did you pick and what Results did you get
3.) Is the course really competitive?
4.) What type of skills would you need and what degrees would i need to do at uni
5.) Is it easy to find jobs with a med degree or is it quite hard
Any responses would be appreciated, thank you!

Hi, i got
1. 99888888887
2. A*AB
3. Apply strategically and look at what the unis give more importance to and you can get in, don't just apply for Russel group Unis
4. medicine degree or bio med for graduate uni
5. yes, med and dent are pretty much jobs guaranteed
Hi guys,
I'm hoping to apply to medical college (currently hoping to apply for a 2024 start). I've read on pretty much all university websites that they check you're fit to study and ask questions about your health through occupational health. I was just wondering if anyone knew what they did? Do they make you get checked up for an appointment with a professional or is it just a form where you have to tick boxes? Please LMK if anyone knows
Original post by binnyblue
Hi guys,
I'm hoping to apply to medical college (currently hoping to apply for a 2024 start). I've read on pretty much all university websites that they check you're fit to study and ask questions about your health through occupational health. I was just wondering if anyone knew what they did? Do they make you get checked up for an appointment with a professional or is it just a form where you have to tick boxes? Please LMK if anyone knows

Its a form that has to be completed by your own doctor.
Original post by McGinger
Its a form that has to be completed by your own doctor.

do you know if you have to meet with your doctor before this to check if anything has changed?
do you know if you have to meet with your doctor before this to check if anything has changed?

Hi there,

When I started medical school, I was told to fill out an occupational health form by myself on the uni's health portal. I had to answer basic things like what medications i'm taking, if i've ever had ___ disease, etc etc. I also had to get a copy of my vaccination records from my GP, but all I had to do was just phone the GP reception and they sent it to me right away! :bunny:

From what I remember, you don't have to have a consultation with the doctor or anything, and the doctor doesn't fill the form out - you do it yourself. If you think about it, that makes much more sense as it does take like 15 mins to fill out the form and there are quite a lot of incoming medical students each year who will save a lot of the GP's time if they will out the form themselves :biggrin:.

Lmk if you still have any questions! :borat:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
thank you so much! this definitely cleared a lot up. i had just been wondering if they did a full-body check on you or anything ridiculous like that because i really wouldn't have wanted to do that- lol. appreciate this (Original post by MedicMind)Hi there,

When I started medical school, I was told to fill out an occupational health form by myself on the uni's health portal. I had to answer basic things like what medications i'm taking, if i've ever had ___ disease, etc etc. I also had to get a copy of my vaccination records from my GP, but all I had to do was just phone the GP reception and they sent it to me right away! :bunny:

From what I remember, you don't have to have a consultation with the doctor or anything, and the doctor doesn't fill the form out - you do it yourself. If you think about it, that makes much more sense as it does take like 15 mins to fill out the form and there are quite a lot of incoming medical students each year who will save a lot of the GP's time if they will out the form themselves :biggrin:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
thank you so much! this definitely cleared a lot up. i had just been wondering if they did a full-body check on you or anything ridiculous like that because i really wouldn't have wanted to do that- lol. appreciate this
thank you so much! this definitely cleared a lot up. i had just been wondering if they did a full-body check on you or anything ridiculous like that because i really wouldn't have wanted to do that- lol. appreciate this (Original post by MedicMind)Hi there,

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
thank you so much! this definitely cleared a lot up. i had just been wondering if they did a full-body check on you or anything ridiculous like that because i really wouldn't have wanted to do that- lol. appreciate this

Nope, no full body checks or anything haha - just literally one form to fill out by yourself! They want to make it as easy as possible for the incoming medical students, and GPs don't have time do extra examinations for students anyway :redface:

It really is nothing to worry about :redface:!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Hi! So I've just finished my GCSEs and I am going to sixth form in September. I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Spanish for A-Level. For med schools, I want to apply to:

1) Imperial
2) King's
3) UCL

And St George's and Queen Mary are my backups (I've always lived in London so I don't want to study outside of it)

That's kind of an introduction for now but if I have any questions, I'll post them on here :smile:

Thank you!
Oh nooooo I don't mind travelling no not at all. I just meant that I'd prefer London as my main kinda study area but I would definitely enjoy travelling around the country. Sorry, my bad and I just realised Queen Mary does PBL so Anglia Ruskin is better because then all my uni's have an integrated learning style :smile: Thank you!
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 73
so i want to become a psychiatrist in the future. i m an igcse student rn. if i apply to standard entry for medicine with my personal statement that shows interest in psychology would that put me in a disadvantage?
Psychiatry and psychology are completely different fields, I'm not sure you understand what the difference is. You are also only at gcse level and wouldn't know fully what speciality you would want to go into, it's too early to decide on speciality.
Reply 75
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Psychiatry and psychology are completely different fields, I'm not sure you understand what the difference is. You are also only at gcse level and wouldn't know fully what speciality you would want to go into, it's too early to decide on speciality.

tbh i wanted to be a psychiatrist it has been a dream to me since i was in primary school. however all this time i didn't do my research well and have been preparing to do pre-med psychology. but its ok i m only at gcse level i still have more time
Original post by AzAz00
tbh i wanted to be a psychiatrist it has been a dream to me since i was in primary school. however all this time i didn't do my research well and have been preparing to do pre-med psychology. but its ok i m only at gcse level i still have more time

How have you been prepping for pre-med psychology? That sounds American with the word pre-med. You're still at gcse level
and you need to get some shadowing experience before you decide and some time in med school, you haven't even sat your gcses yet!
Reply 77
How have you been prepping for pre-med psychology? That sounds American with the word pre-med. You're still at gcse level
and you need to get some shadowing experience before you decide and some time in med school, you haven't even sat your gcses yet!

yes that was lowkey a mistake of mine. i assumed the road to psychiatry would be the same as it is in the US. i m not from the US nor the UK. and thank you i have calmed down. when i made this post i was panicking for no apparent reason after finding out how hard it is to get into med school in the UK. my school does not have a career advisor and i just feel so lost.
Reply 78

as for how i have been prepping for my pre-med psychology i have been watching documentaries related to forensic psychology and reading a couple of books. i have also attended some courses that teach you how to do a research and have been planning to write a research paper. i did all these because i have an actual interest in psychology. the reason why i settled on doing psychiatry is because i also like medicine. i wanted to be a doctor when i was a kid sooooo. anyway ur right i m too young
Original post by AzAz00
yes that was lowkey a mistake of mine. i assumed the road to psychiatry would be the same as it is in the US. i m not from the US nor the UK. and thank you i have calmed down. when i made this post i was panicking for no apparent reason after finding out how hard it is to get into med school in the UK. my school does not have a career advisor and i just feel so lost.

I think what you need to do first is actually research entry requirements for UK med school and the route to med school in the UK, plenty of resources online. The system in the UK is completely different from the USA. And you need to get some shadowing work experience to have a better idea if a career in medicine is right for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending