The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shimul
Original post by ProXMist71
Hi guys,

I've got a pharmacy offer at KCL but want to exchange this offer for KCL medicine.

KCL medicine was in clearing last year (2023) and the year before, and I have heard/read upon instances were people holding offers (for things like neuroscience/pharmacology) had been contacted by KCL to see whether or not they'd want to move to medicine.

1) Has anybody else heard of examples of the above?
2) Would it be worth contacting KCL to enquire on whether it is possible to change, or should I test my luck and see if they contact me regarding whether or not I'd want to move to medicine?

Doesn’t seem like you really want to be a pharmacist and if you do it you’ll always have that ‘what if’ hanging over you that you wanted to try for medicine. But just because you got into pharmacy doesn’t mean you’re suitable for medicine. But maybe give a shot?

I think people can be interested in two professions. If you are leaning more towards medicine and there is a route for you to do the course then go for it but ultimately just go with what you can see yourself doing long-term.
Original post by Jeheid
I think people can be interested in two professions. If you are leaning more towards medicine and there is a route for you to do the course then go for it but ultimately just go with what you can see yourself doing long-term.

Did you sit the ucat? And apply for medicine as well but elsewhere? If you have not sat the ucat I doubt they will consider you. If you did you can always call them and ask.
I'm trying to decide which university to put down as my 'insurance' choice with UCAS. It's between St Andrews and lGlasgow. Are either of these two known to be lenient if there's a grade drop in A level results?

Both are asking for 3 x A's, so It is difficult to know which of the two is the better choice for insurance.
When should you start looking for accommodation?
Original post by shimul
When should you start looking for accommodation?

As soon as you can, though First years have guaranteed accommodation, you want to choose from all options available rather than leaving it till end and then have to by unhappy with your accomodation
Original post by Throwaway007
As soon as you can, though First years have guaranteed accommodation, you want to choose from all options available rather than leaving it till end and then have to by unhappy with your accomodation

Is Manchester accommodation first come first serve?
Hi, I’m a gap year student with unconditional offers from Liverpool and Plymouth and am very torn as to which one to choose. Does anyone know which course and city students seem to prefer?
Original post by grace.lamb
Hi, I’m a gap year student with unconditional offers from Liverpool and Plymouth and am very torn as to which one to choose. Does anyone know which course and city students seem to prefer?

is there any chance if you’re on a gap year you could go visit?
does not have to be an open day
also, if you begin looking on YouTube

I set out a few relevant bullet points in a post today on another thread
( try the fastest slowest medicine one)
Original post by grace.lamb

I don't know about which is more reputed, you can get help from someone else. Iwould suggest to look at both Universities for following
Distance from your home - its a long course, so closer to home will be better
Cost of living
University life and which is closest to the life you want
What both cities offer - Clubs, Pubs, night life
Which uni has more of your school mates going to
Type of teaching method
Hospitals where students are placed
Batch size - Do you prefer larger group or smaller?

Visit both Universities, find a friend/ friend's friend/school senior or anyone who is in any course in these Universities, go and spend an evening with them and their friends. It'll give you feel of the Uni, regardless of the course.
is anyone doing medicine at newcastle starting this year?
Hi all,

I have an offer from Bristol for medicine, which was my first choice and I'm more than happy with. However, I'm on the reserve list for Plymouth, which was going to be my insurance.
Grade requirements for both are ABB.
I have two offers from Exeter for non-medicine courses (neuroscience and medical science) both with ABC entry requirements.

I'm considering withdrawing my application from Plymouth so that I can start with the accommodation application for Bristol; my reasoning is that if I don't get an offer from Bristol I won't get into Plymouth as my insurance, and I'd be better off applying to Exeter as an insurance as the requirements are lower.

What are your thoughts?
Help. I only have one offer, it’s my 5th option and is med science not medicine.
I’m waiting for two more but haven’t had an interview anywhere.
Can someone tell me if med science could be a good option. I did always want medicine.
Original post by Stillwaiting123
Help. I only have one offer, it’s my 5th option and is med science not medicine.
Can someone tell me if med science could be a good option. I did always want medicine.

Not sure what you’re asking. You won’t be a doctor with med science
Original post by shimul
Not sure what you’re asking. You won’t be a doctor with med science

I know that. I’m asking if med science could be a good option if I can’t get an offer for medicine. It would be instead of. Does anyone rate it as having good career prospects. Thank you.
I know that. I’m asking if med science could be a good option if I can’t get an offer for medicine. It would be instead of. Does anyone rate it as having good career prospects. Thank you.

It’s not close to medicine at all, if you want medicine, take a gap year and do medicine. Do a google search about career prospects but if you’re aiming really high career wise, you would probably need to do a masters or even higher. That’s already 4-5 years. Might as well take a gap year and retry medicine. That’s just me though.
Is there a clearing thread for this year ?

hear you
on the medicine threads, you are likely to get responses strongly advising you to take a gap year and reapply
…while that’s a valid route for many people, it isn’t for everyone,
so if you’ve looked into the course content of medical science ( module by module, year by year) and have an offer from a university you would like to study at, this might be right for you and only you can say

( basically, don’t feel pressured by the tunnel vision on here to keep applying for medicine until you get in, as that might not work out for everyone)
all best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending