The Student Room Group

Does DoFe, volunteering and all that "experience" related work matter?

I'm just wondering if DoFe or any other type of work like that actually matters when applying for university.
Original post by krugers123
I'm just wondering if DoFe or any other type of work like that actually matters when applying for university.

I'm currently doing DoFe , from what my school told us , it's very good for your CV and uni application.
My teacher has done DoFe and she said it helped her with application and job interviews.
It does look really good on your application and CV as it's experience . They wouldn't choose someone with the same specifications as you without DofE above you .
Original post by Rosyrose123
I'm currently doing DoFe , from what my school told us , it's very good for your CV and uni application.
My teacher has done DoFe and she said it helped her with application and job interviews.
It does look really good on your application and CV as it's experience . They wouldn't choose someone with the same specifications as you without DofE above you .

I agree with all this.
It also looks good for unis because it shows commitment. A University Is looking for someone who will stick in and wont drop out. Showing you have commitment will be a green flag for unis :smile:
Not really these days, at least for DofE, since everyone and their mum does it, it's become fairly meaningless as far as uni applications go. General volunteering is also usually not directly relevant to academic study at uni level.

It can be construed in a relevant way depending on the course you're applying to if you focus on the development of transferable skills in those activities, and then apply these to your proposed degree programme. But equally there are plenty of other ways you could develop those same skills, so the fact it's DofE or volunteering makes no odds.

Basically, do it if you want to do it for your own personal gratification or interest, don't do it just because you think it'll help you get into uni - it won't. Same goes for the EPQ, for that matter (although that does sometimes affect admissions as some unis give lower offers to those with a good EPQ result, but you still shouldn't do it unless you have a clear idea for a project at the outset rather than just doing it "because").
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by notsmartenough45
I agree with all this.
It also looks good for unis because it shows commitment. A University Is looking for someone who will stick in and wont drop out. Showing you have commitment will be a green flag for unis :smile:

that's wonderful! Thank you for sharing :smile:
I doubt it, everyone's done it nowadays, theyre looking for things that will make u stand out and also things that show commitment, skills, knowledge to the *specific course* ur on...

For some reason no one tells u this in highschool

Like if u wanted to do law, dofe is completely irrelevant, I wud mention it but not waste a sentence on it...u literally have 4000 words for a personal statement and its not enough to waste a single word lol
Original post by artful_lounger
Not really these days, at least for DofE, since everyone and their mum does it, it's become fairly meaningless as far as uni applications go. General volunteering is also usually not directly relevant to academic study at uni level.

It can be construed in a relevant way depending on the course you're applying to if you focus on the development of transferable skills in those activities, and then apply these to your proposed degree programme. But equally there are plenty of other ways you could develop those same skills, so the fact it's DofE or volunteering makes no odds.

Basically, do it if you want to do it for your own personal gratification or interest, don't do it just because you think it'll help you get into uni - it won't. Same goes for the EPQ, for that matter (although that does sometimes affect admissions as some unis give lower offers to those with a good EPQ result, but you still shouldn't do it unless you have a clear idea for a project at the outset rather than just doing it "because").

what should i do to stand out ?

Honesty you don't need to "stand out" at all for 99% of UK unis (if not all) in your paper application other than having good (to very good, depending on the uni) grades and just generally communicating your genuine interests in the course through your PS, based on things you've done because they interest YOU rather than because you think they will interest an admissions tutor.

There is no magic formula otherwise, because if there were everyone would figure it out, start doing it, and lead to it no longer being something of any interest to unis because it's become something applicants do to pander to them rather than to develop themselves deliberately (as was the case with DofE).

Just...do things that interest you, read things that interest you, think about them, then apply to a course related to those things and write about them. If the course you are planning to apply to would require you do or read things you have no interest in to distinguish yourself for it....you should think long and hard if that's actually the right course for you.

Probably abit late but may still be relevant ish they love people with genuine instructing qualifications. If you are a registered (and fully qualified) water sports instructor with RYA(Royal yachting association, sailing) or BC (British canoeing ,kayaking, canoeing, Stand up paddle boarding) and posses a first aid qualification you WILL stand out as often these courses take a lot of commitment and skill. Any one reading this who is interested in Watersport I highly recommend you try this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending