The Student Room Group

college stopping from going into year 13

at my college they said that you apparently cant go into year 13 without doing volunteering? does anyone else have the same requirements and also is that even legal?
Original post by DRIPDRIP9463
at my college they said that you apparently cant go into year 13 without doing volunteering? does anyone else have the same requirements and also is that even legal?

I think volunteering/work experience is legally required in order for them to get funding. My college was the same - we had to do a week of work experience/volunteering at the end of the year so it’s definitely legal, it’s mostly one of those boxes they have to tick to get funding for your courses.
If they don’t get funding for your year 13 because you haven’t done volunteering then they are definitely allowed to say you can’t continue.
Reply 2
damn fair enough also does the volunteering experience have to be 1 week? I've done a couple of work experiences would the college count that as volunteering as well? Also im also doing some online volunteering stuff I found, would those still work to continue into year 13?
Original post by squiddy135
I think volunteering/work experience is legally required in order for them to get funding. My college was the same - we had to do a week of work experience/volunteering at the end of the year so it’s definitely legal, it’s mostly one of those boxes they have to tick to get funding for your courses.
If they don’t get funding for your year 13 because you haven’t done volunteering then they are definitely allowed to say you can’t continue.
damn fair enough also does the volunteering experience have to be 1 week? I've done a couple of work experiences would the college count that as volunteering as well? Also im also doing some online volunteering stuff I found, would those still work to continue into year 13?

To be honest I’m not sure but I don’t think so - all the students applying for medicines who’d been doing work experience in hospitals throughout the year still had to do it, but talk to your college about the specifics - at mine it was 3 days work experience and 2 doing career stuff in college, 4 days and 1 in college or full 5 days of work experience.
Reply 4
Original post by squiddy135
To be honest I’m not sure but I don’t think so - all the students applying for medicines who’d been doing work experience in hospitals throughout the year still had to do it, but talk to your college about the specifics - at mine it was 3 days work experience and 2 doing career stuff in college, 4 days and 1 in college or full 5 days of work experience.

Also btw for your volunteering was there a certain number of hours that you had to do to be able to get into year 13 in your college? Or if you just did 1 volunteering session once would you still be able to go into year 13?
Also btw for your volunteering was there a certain number of hours that you had to do to be able to get into year 13 in your college? Or if you just did 1 volunteering session once would you still be able to go into year 13?

I’m not sure what the actual number required was (maybe 25 but don’t quote me) so you should probably talk to your college about it as they’ll actually know what you need to do.

Quick Reply

Latest