The Student Room Group

Voluntary/Work Experience for Midwifery

I will be applying for a Midwifery course at University next month but need some voluntary/work experience within the healthcare sector. I've only ever worked in retail so my experience isn't relevant for my application. I have contacted my local hospitals and healthcare centres but they all have huge waiting lists for voluntary work. Can anybody help me please?! Where is a good place to volunteer and how do I apply? Thanks in advance 😊😊
Original post by kyla2106
I will be applying for a Midwifery course at University next month but need some voluntary/work experience within the healthcare sector. I've only ever worked in retail so my experience isn't relevant for my application. I have contacted my local hospitals and healthcare centres but they all have huge waiting lists for voluntary work. Can anybody help me please?! Where is a good place to volunteer and how do I apply? Thanks in advance 😊😊

Have you checked out the work experience guide here? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3546665

There is also some information on work experience and what sort of things are useful to do in the personal statement guidance in my signature below :smile:

If you want any more advice or anything doesn't make sense, feel free to quote me and I'll do my best to help.

Could see if there is a mother & baby group near you, NCT groups or breastfeeding support groups. Whatever experience you get (and have, including retail) just relate it midwifery. Also worth seeing if you can shadow a midwife at your local hospital or one further away if it's a one-off & you can get there.
Perhaps volunteer at a group that's there to help new mums? I know near me there's a group that gets together with a few volunteers and goes on walks to help mums maintain contact with other mums to feel like they're not alone and to ask each other for advice. Someone I know volunteered there and managed to get into uni to do midwifery without any other experience. But it would depend on what uni you were applying for.

Good luck, hope all goes well :smile:

I am applying for Midwifery for next year. For the passed year i have gathered the following work experience:
Volunteering in children's centre groups -
Cherubs; a supportive group for mothers who are breastfeeding.
Lavender; a supportive group for mothers suffering from postnatal depression. You look after their babies whilst they speak to support workers.

Volunteering in a Lactation Clinic at the Doctors - I work alongside a midwife and breastfeeding support worker. It is specially aimed at mothers having breastfeeding complications.

Volunteering at local hospitals - Even just giving people directions, handing out tea and coffee. Anything that is within a clinical setting really works in your favour on your personal statement (getting on the maternity ward would be amazing!)

Just be sure to mention all of your transferable skills from your current job. Im a beautician part time and mentioned how i build and maintain relationships and deal with vulnerable women. Im also a receptionist and just mentioned about my confidence, ability to work as a team and its helped me become non judgemental.

Hope this helps and good luck xx
Hi, I was wondering if you could let me know where you found this 'Lavender' group and where they are based. Thank you!
Hey! What did you do for this? I’m looking to be a midwife, did you get any luck?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending