The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Chemical engineering at Manchester or Aston?

Hi guys, basically I’m applying for chemical engineering and from the beginning I was set on doing it at the university of Manchester with a foundation year, however at Aston it’s the normal 4 years Meng,

I decided to go to the Aston University open day just to see Becky I didn’t know much about it and I ended up really liking the city , everyone was friendly , the campus and the subject talk, furthermore the accommodations also look nice.

So I was torn between the two because Aston isn’t a Russell group university and the facilities and teaching are better at The University of Manchester, I also really like Manchester as a city but I don’t really like the accommodations and it doesn’t seem really diverse compared to Aston.
I’m not sure whether I should do a foundation year at a highly regarded university for chemical engineering (Manchester) or start year 1 at a less regarded university (Aston)

Does what university you go to really matter if they’re both accredited?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
hey man did you figure out what you should do as I am in the EXACT same situation
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hello @emanyouell, its great to see you are considering studying at Aston University!
Firstly, our Chemical Engineering has been ranked top 10 in the Guardian League Table for 2022, which we are proud of as it shows that students have enjoyed the course and it has prepared them for their future careers. As you’ve noted course is also accredited by the Institute of Chemical Engineers, which again points to the high standards of Aston University.

With great modules and the optional placement year giving you the opportunity for exposure to the industry, this course has a lot to offer!

I’m glad you liked how diverse our University is, I agree it is very friendly and easy to make friends here at Aston.
I wish you the best of luck in making your decision!
Reply 3
Original post by emanyouell
Hi guys, basically I’m applying for chemical engineering and from the beginning I was set on doing it at the university of Manchester with a foundation year, however at Aston it’s the normal 4 years Meng, I decided to go to the Aston University open day just to see Becky I didn’t know much about it and I ended up really liking the city , everyone was friendly , the campus and the subject talk, furthermore the accommodations also look nice.So I was torn between the two because Aston isn’t a Russell group university and the facilities and teaching are better at The University of Manchester, I also really like Manchester as a city but I don’t really like the accommodations and it doesn’t seem really diverse compared to Aston. I’m not sure whether I should do a foundation year at a highly regarded university for chemical engineering (Manchester) or start year 1 at a less regarded university (Aston)Does what university you go to really matter if they’re both accredited?
I am in your exact situation right now, where did you end up choosing to go?
Reply 4
Original post by sere.moi
I am in your exact situation right now, where did you end up choosing to go?
I commented in this post 2 years ago and was also in this exact same position. I'm at Aston right now doing chem eng and it's great. It's got everything I need and love living on campus. My advise would be to aim for Manchester as it is obviously much more well renowned, although it's not the end of the world if you end up at Aston because it is still a great uni and the Chem eng department they have is good.

Quick Reply

Latest