The Student Room Group

University Application - Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Eidngurgh

Hi guys, I'm a Korean student studying in China. I would like to ask you a question whether or not my application will be considered by the universities I will be applying. I am planning to apply for chemical engineering for the following universities.

Cambridge (Trinity college or King's college), Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Edinburgh.

These are the things I have done throughout the school years

This will be shown on my transcript
IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

Although all of the grades except for English lang&lit and business was expected to get an A*/9 while those three subjects were A, due to COVID the exam got cancelled and I received those grades.

Also for IB I chose Physics, Chemistry, and Math AA as my HL subjects while choosing Economics, Korean A, and English A as my SL subjects. My grade for report on the end of year 12/grade11 was 7 for all HL subjects and economics, and 6 on the two languages.

Other then the subjects I have participated in diverse challenges and olympiads as well.
I have gold from both the intermediate and senior math challenges from UKMT getting full marks, and got through the following round on Hamilton, Maclaurin, and BMO round 1. I've got Merit, Distinction, and Merit for each of them.
Also for math, I established a UKMT society in our school and run it for two years.

For Physics, I received Bronze 1 from BPhO round 1 and is planning to take it again this year. I have done my EE on physics with the topic of angle of attack and the lift force/lift coefficient.

For Chemisrey, I received Bronze in year11/grade 10 and received Silver in year12/grade11 in UKChO. Same with physics, I'm planning to take it again this year.

I have been the deputy head boy and attended the student leadership conference. And was one of the leaders in science society in our school.

Will my UCAS application be considered and selected by those universities I am planning to apply? If not should I change the list of universities? Many thanks
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by username6073268
Hi guys, I'm a Korean student studying in China. I would like to ask you a question whether or not my application will be considered by the universities I will be applying. I am planning to apply for chemical engineering for the following universities.

Cambridge (Trinity college or King's college), Imperial, UCL, Manchester, Edinburgh.

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

Although all of the grades except for English lang&lit and business was expected to get an A*/9 while those three subjects were A, due to COVID the exam got cancelled and I received those grades.

Also for IB I chose Physics, Chemistry, and Math AA as my HL subjects while choosing Economics, Korean A, and English A as my SL subjects. My grade for report on the end of year 12/grade11 was 7 for all HL subjects and economics, and 6 on the two languages.

Other then the subjects I have participated in diverse challenges and olympiads as well.
I have gold from both the intermediate and senior math challenges from UKMT getting full marks, and got through the following round on Hamilton, Maclaurin, and BMO round 1. I've got Merit, Distinction, and Merit for each of them.
Also for math, I established a UKMT society in our school and run it for two years.

For Physics, I received Bronze 1 from BPhO round 1 and is planning to take it again this year. I have done my EE on physics with the topic of angle of attack and the lift force/lift coefficient.

For Chemisrey, I received Bronze in year11/grade 10 and received Silver in year12/grade11 in UKChO. Same with physics, I'm planning to take it again this year.

I have been the deputy head boy and attended the student leadership conference. And was one of the leaders in science society in our school.

Will my UCAS application be considered and selected by those universities I am planning to apply? If not should I change the list of universities? Many thanks

For manchester: Yes (https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2023/03340/beng-chemical-engineering/entry-requirements/)
International Baccalaureate
36 points overall with 6,6,6 at Higher Level, including Mathematics and Chemistry or Physics.
We accept Higher Level Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches only.
(edited 8 months ago)

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

For Edinburgh (https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=H804)
IB: 37 points with 666 at HL - 32 points with 555 at HL.
IB: HL: Mathematics (Analysis and approaches only) and Chemistry at 5. SL: English and Physics at 5.
Yes you can

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

UCL (https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/chemical-engineering-beng)
Subjects
A total of 18 points in three higher level subjects to include grades 6,6 in Mathematics and Chemistry, with no higher level score below 5. Another science at higher level preferred, but not essential. The programme will accept either 'Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches' or 'Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation' at higher level.
Yes you can

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

Imperial (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/2023/chemical-engineering/)
Minimum entry standard
40 points
To include:
7 in Mathematics at higher level
7 in Chemistry at higher level
6 in Biology, Business Management, Economics or Physics at higher level
Preferred Mathematics syllabus: The Mathematics Analysis and Approaches or the Applications and Interpretation syllabi will be accepted at higher level, with no preference.
Yes you can

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

Cambridge (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/chemical-engineering) Yes
40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level
All Colleges require: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics* and Chemistry
Some Colleges require: A Level/IB Higher Level in a third science/mathematics subject
* IB applicants are expected to take IB Higher Level 'Analysis and Approaches' for this course. If this option is not available at your school, please contact the College you wish to apply to for further advice and guidance.
——————-
There is an admissions test: Admissions Assessment
All applicants are required to take the written assessment for Natural Sciences at an authorised centre local to them (for a lot of applicants, this will be their school/college).

ASSESSMENT FORMAT

Section 1: Multiple choice questions in mathematics plus one science (Biology, Chemistry or Physics) (60 minutes)
Section 2: Extended multiple choice questions in Biology, Chemistry or Physics (60 minutes)
PDF icon
Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment Specification

You must be registered in advance (separately to your UCAS application) to take the assessment the registration deadline is 29 September 2023. Your assessment centre must register you for the pre-interview assessment; you’re not able to register yourself. See the written assessments page for information about assessment centres and registration.

Further details about the format of the assessment and preparatory materials can be found on the written assessments page.

The pre-interview written assessment for Natural Sciences will be taken on Wednesday 18 October 2023.
—————
Admission assessment

All applicants for Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology (including applicants to mature Colleges) are required to take the Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment (NSAA) at an authorised assessment centre (usually their school or college), for which you must be registered in advance.

Please see the Cambridge Admissions Testing website for information about dates and registration deadlines, and check admission assessments for further details.

See Natural Sciences admission assessment for more information about the assessment format, and to download past papers.

Please note that your performance in the assessment will not be considered in isolation, but will be taken into account alongside the other elements of your application.
(edited 8 months ago)

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

your personal statement should show your dedication to chemical engineering. Why did you choose chemical engineering? What inspired you?
Reflect on your experiences as one of the leaders in science society, and how this will prepare you for a future in chemical engineering.
The most important thing is reflection on your experiences, not stating them in your personal statement.

IGCSE
Eng Lang & Lit - B
Math - A*
AddMath - A
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Compute Science - A
Economics - 8
Business Studies - B

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/how-write-personal-statement
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/introducing-personal-statement-tool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending