The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

W-Three
I'll admit I have my problems with forcing a woman to give birth. And I'll also admit that I wouldn't be ready to wholeheartedly endorse such a law.

Er, surely that's exactly what you've just been advocating.

W-Three

I fail to see how considering the passing on of genetic material being an important issue justifies killing babies and children. If anything its the opposite.

So why does it justify killing foetuses but not babies? If that's the reason you're allowed to kill foetuses, why can't that be a reason to kill children too?

W-Three

Because forcing an abortion is killing an unborn child, and killing a child the mother wants. While forcing her to not have an abortion is putting the woman through pain and discomfort.

So? The father wants it, and according to you that's what matters.

I'm astounded that you think the only reason not to force a woman to have an abortion is because 'it's an unborn child'. What about how disgusting and brutal it is to physically force a woman to go through the ordeal of an abortion? Isn't that the reason you wouldn't force a woman to have an abortion? It's nothing to do with the foetus. Jesus.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 161
missygeorgia
Er, surely that's exactly what you've just been advocating.

Believe it or not it is. And I said so previously. I do think that in certain circumstances a woman should be dissalowed an abortion. But I do have doubts.

missygeorgia
So why does it justify killing foetuses but not babies? If that's the reason you're allowed to kill foetuses, why can't that be a reason to kill children too?

Because children, and foetuses above a certain age, should be considered already alive. If something is already alive you shouldnt be allowed to kill it.

missygeorgia

I'm astounded that you think the only reason not to force a woman to have an abortion is because 'it's an unborn child'. What about how disgusting and brutal it is to physically force a woman to go through the ordeal of an abortion? Isn't that the reason you wouldn't force a woman to have an abortion? It's nothing to do with the foetus. Jesus.

That is a reason, yes. But ultimately, forcing a mother to have an abortion serves to purpose. If the father doesnt want it, it doesn't give him the right to dissalow the mother to have it.

I also never said that it being an unborn child is the only reason. For a start, I also said that the mother wanted it.
squid
It's not right, but it has to be allowed. What about the incapable 15 year olds who'd never be able to raise a child properly? Rape victims? It's not "right" to kill a child, but with out abortion we'd be worse off.

I hate how often this discussion comes up, 10 pages ahoy!

My thoughts exactly.

I think it is kind of a ****** question: "Abortion: right or wrong?"
Every person is in a different situation, the teenager who can't afford to raise a child, the rape victim, the person who simply does not want a child.
Personally I believe that sometimes abortion is necessary, but by no means should it be used as a form of birth control.
If you're going to have sex but don't want a child than use some form of birth control.
Nidhogg_Rider
So i'm doing this as part of a project at college so yeh, what do you guys think of abortion?

Basically, what circumstances, if at all, is abortion right or wrong?

And do you think abortion is becoming just another contraceptive nowadays?

Its sick and wrong unless you have been raped and want to not have the past haunt you.

Noone is saying have sex without contraception its disgusting and yes it is another contraceptive to aalot of people these days
Reply 164
sweetice2009
Its sick and wrong unless you have been raped and want to not have the past haunt you.

Why is it 'sick' and 'wrong' unless the woman has been raped?

That doesn't make sense.
Reply 165
sweetice2009

Noone is saying have sex without contraception its disgusting and yes it is another contraceptive to aalot of people these days

Why is a 'life' created by rape any less deserving of protection than a life created by normal conception? Answer me that.
Coming from experience, I support abortion.

I know of double figure rape victims who have gone on to have abortions, as well as some whose sex was consensual.

The law around it being illegal after 24 weeks is something I don't agree with, but as I'm in no way linked to the study of foetus', I can't really voice an opinion of when it should become illegal.

By my reckoning, the foetus has never experienced life; and so would not know what it is missing out on even if it could process thoughts.

Answer me this: Why should two lives potentially be ruined if a mother does not want to go full term, give birth and end up unhappy and resentful of said child?

I work for a certain agency that deals with kids and parents that have parted ways, and this kind of thing comes across my desk on what is practically a daily basis. Two or more lives can be ruined by an unwanted child - even adopted ones. Cold hearted? Bite me :smile:
Reply 167
EinsteinTattoo
Coming from experience, I support abortion.

I know of double figure rape victims who have gone on to have abortions, as well as some whose sex was consensual.

The law around it being illegal after 24 weeks is something I don't agree with, but as I'm in no way linked to the study of foetus', I can't really voice an opinion of when it should become illegal.

By my reckoning, the foetus has never experienced life; and so would not know what it is missing out on even if it could process thoughts.

Answer me this: Why should two lives potentially be ruined if a mother does not want to go full term, give birth and end up unhappy and resentful of said child?

I work for a certain agency that deals with kids and parents that have parted ways, and this kind of thing comes across my desk on what is practically a daily basis. Two or more lives can be ruined by an unwanted child - even adopted ones. Cold hearted? Bite me :smile:

I'd generally agree, but are you saying you think abortion should be legal right up to full term?
I'd rather not have an opinion on what point it should become unlawful. Like I say, I've got no medical experience to speak of whatsoever (sprained ankles and the like notwithstanding), so I wouldn't like to comment on when an unborn child should have it's rights protected.
Prove to me that a kid knows what it'd be missing out on in life and I might say that that's the point the law should start.

I'm a believer in 'I don't miss what I never had'.
Reply 169
Right. I don't really get why it'd be wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending