The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

bath spa architecture not credited by ARB or RIBA? is this bad

i’ve applied for 2022 and received an offer- but i’m not sure if the uni will end up credited by the ARB or RIBA by the time i graduate over the 4 years (including placement).
I don’t know how often architecture courses get reviewed for this but was wondering if i have a high possibility of being able to receive my official part 1 with better chances to be in the industry if they are credited.

not sure if it will really effect me in the future or not as i have read that you pay around 1.2k to sign with the RIBA which just creates more questions than it answers haha

pls help idk if i should take away the option of this uni completely bc i really liked it there.
RIBA validation often follows the graduation of the first cohort of graduates. Is this the first year this course has been offered at Bath Spa? Why not email the department and ask them what stage they are at with ARB accreditation and RIBA validation?

The following is a quote by SebastianMesser from another thread that explains the process:

"The ARB are the statutory body who maintain the register of people who are legally entitled to call themselves architects. So if you ultimately want to become an architect in the UK, the ARB accreditation arguably is the more important one, because this ensures the course’s paperwork is compliant with their requirements. The ARB and RIBA have a joint criteria which is the basis for the syllabus in every accredited and validated school of architecture. The RIBA validation process is a physical inspection of the school and the work and is, principally, concerned with quality: the ethos of the school, management and the learning environment, and the work produced by the students across all of their modules. New courses will (typically) apply for ‘candidate status’ from the RIBA which can then become full validation after the first cohort graduates. The advantages to being in a new school are that usually these will have quite small cohorts so you will get a lot of support from the staff. Sometimes they will other incentives such as lower fees or lower UCAS entry tariffs until they are validated."
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending