The Student Room Group

`Funding a MArch Masters in architecture without taking a year out using SFE

Hi there,

I am currently in my second year of studying an undergraduate (part 1) architecture degree. I am currently looking at the option of continuing straight on to a masters in architecture at my current university immediately after my undergraduate degree rather than taking a year out.

Does anyone know how much SFE funding I will qualify for? and whether the maintenance loan would still be means tested off of my household income?

I am trying to figure out whether part of the reason people take a year out is to fund their masters - or whether SFE will be able to help fund it for me and I can carry straight on?

Any help gratefully received!
Original post by ErikaDM
Hi there,

I am currently in my second year of studying an undergraduate (part 1) architecture degree. I am currently looking at the option of continuing straight on to a masters in architecture at my current university immediately after my undergraduate degree rather than taking a year out.

Does anyone know how much SFE funding I will qualify for? and whether the maintenance loan would still be means tested off of my household income?

I am trying to figure out whether part of the reason people take a year out is to fund their masters - or whether SFE will be able to help fund it for me and I can carry straight on?

Any help gratefully received!

Hi Erika,

Would this be the Riba part 2 you would be going into? Normally this would be funded under our undergraduate funding if there is no gaps and done straight after your RIba part 1.

The Part 2 course must be accredited by ARB to be considered for designation under the Undergraduate regulations. Courses accredited by both ARB and RIBA qualify for full support, however courses that are only accredited by RIBA are not designated for undergraduate support.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Erika,

Would this be the Riba part 2 you would be going into? Normally this would be funded under our undergraduate funding if there is no gaps and done straight after your RIba part 1.

Can I ask you to check that no gaps are allowed please? It is normal (and usually expected) that architecture graduates work for a year (or two) in an architectural practice before commencing their part 2 course. It will be news to a lot of students that their part 2 won't be funded if they do this.
Original post by normaw
Can I ask you to check that no gaps are allowed please? It is normal (and usually expected) that architecture graduates work for a year (or two) in an architectural practice before commencing their part 2 course. It will be news to a lot of students that their part 2 won't be funded if they do this.

Hi there. Gaps are allowed, but the time of the gap determines what kind of funding it would attract.

Students on Parts 1 and 2 should be classed as continuing on a single course if:

[*]Part 2 leads to qualification as an architect
[*]They have not withdrawn
[*]They have not changed mode of study (full-time/part-time)
[*]There is no more than a 3 academic year gap between parts 1 and 2

If there is more than a 3 year gap between parts 1 and 2, the student will be classed as a Postgraduate student unless they can provide evidence to show they have maintained a link to Architecture.

Thanks, Leah.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending