The Student Room Group

Transferring

Year1 student at bath spa doing architecture but have the option to transfer to University of Reading but from year 1 due to bath spa being in the process of accreditation. Expected to be completed by the time I graduate. Do I transfer to an established university with a reputable architecture course that has accreditation?
Original post by Jas105
Year1 student at bath spa doing architecture but have the option to transfer to University of Reading but from year 1 due to bath spa being in the process of accreditation. Expected to be completed by the time I graduate. Do I transfer to an established university with a reputable architecture course that has accreditation?

That wouldn't be bad though.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Jas105

Only you can make this decision. Do you have concerns about the course at Bath Spa after spending time there? There is the risk that the course might not be validated by RIBA if it doesn't meet the standards by the time the first cohort graduates. I find it a bit odd that it's not listed on the RIBA validated schools list as having candidate status like, for example, Lancaster. However, that might just be that RIBA has not yet updated the list:

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

You need to weigh up the risk of staying at Bath Spa with paying another year of fees and expenses if you move to Reading. Also, compare accommodation costs and availability, living costs, etc. at both locations.
Reply 3
Original post by Meheraj
That wouldn't be bad tough.

Turns out there’s not much point in doing so as it would be wasting a valuable year. The course will be accredited and reconsidering this to stay is beneficial as the staff are architects and well educated individuals who all derive from top institutions and firms. Deciding between bath and reading is kind of a no brainer when it comes to architecture plus it being a world heritage site
Reply 4
Turns out there’s not much point in doing so as it would be wasting a valuable year. The course will be accredited and have been in contact with riba about accreditation saying that it should all go ahead and reconsidering this to stay is beneficial as the staff are architects and well educated individuals who all derive from top institutions and firms. Deciding between bath and reading is kind of a no brainer when it comes to architecture plus it being a world heritage site
Original post by normaw
Only you can make this decision. Do you have concerns about the course at Bath Spa after spending time there? There is the risk that the course might not be validated by RIBA if it doesn't meet the standards by the time the first cohort graduates. I find it a bit odd that it's not listed on the RIBA validated schools list as having candidate status like, for example, Lancaster. However, that might just be that RIBA has not yet updated the list:

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/riba-validated-schools-uk

You need to weigh up the risk of staying at Bath Spa with paying another year of fees and expenses if you move to Reading. Also, compare accommodation costs and availability, living costs, etc. at both locations.
Original post by Jas105
Turns out there’s not much point in doing so as it would be wasting a valuable year. The course will be accredited and reconsidering this to stay is beneficial as the staff are architects and well educated individuals who all derive from top institutions and firms. Deciding between bath and reading is kind of a no brainer when it comes to architecture plus it being a world heritage site

Has Bath Spa applied to both the ARB and RIBA yet? The uni is still not listed as a candidate on RIBA's list of architecture schools.
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
Has Bath Spa applied to both the ARB and RIBA yet? The uni is still not listed as a candidate on RIBA's list of architecture schools.

Yes it’s been in process for awhile with all the lecturers and head of course keeping us up to date. It will be accredited very soon.
Bath school of architecture has connections with both universities in the city making it well equipped for architectural students.
Original post by Jas105
Yes it’s been in process for awhile with all the lecturers and head of course keeping us up to date. It will be accredited very soon.
Bath school of architecture has connections with both universities in the city making it well equipped for architectural students.

Unless RIBA is slow in updating its website, then Bath Spa still isn't showing on its list of courses with candidate status. A uni would usually appear on this list for a few years with candidate status before being fully validated. You should ask your department if you can see a copy of RIBA's explratory report for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending