The Student Room Group

Dermatology NHS vs private practice

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes: Do consultant level dermatologists make significantly more working in a private practice compared to NHS?

Dermatologists don't have many opportunities to work locum rates when compared to specialties like A&E or general medicine. But they do have the option to work private. I am wondering if this comes with a pay increase and if so, can it be as significant as the one that often comes with locum work (which can be several times the normal hourly rate)?
Reply 1
I think most consultant dermatologists work mostly in the NHS and then do private cosmetic dermatology lists a few evenings a week/weekends and this can boost their salary by a few thousand pounds a year.
Reply 2
Original post by gingur
I think most consultant dermatologists work mostly in the NHS and then do private cosmetic dermatology lists a few evenings a week/weekends and this can boost their salary by a few thousand pounds a year.

Only a few thousand a year? I hope that's an underestimation as that would be completely not competitive with other specialties. Even a junior doctor in general medicine can make over £500 per 8h locum shift outside London.
Reply 3
Original post by GidroDox1
Only a few thousand a year? I hope that's an underestimation as that would be completely not competitive with other specialties. Even a junior doctor in general medicine can make over £500 per 8h locum shift outside London.

was just trying to underestimate so i don't look like a total gimp if i accidentally say like 5x what the actual answer is lmao. Although I have heard that private practice in the UK isn't as lucrative as the US because private health insurers (allegedly) have a secret agreement to collectively refuse to cover your fees if you try and charge above the agreed market rate.
Reply 4
Original post by gingur
was just trying to underestimate so i don't look like a total gimp if i accidentally say like 5x what the actual answer is lmao. Although I have heard that private practice in the UK isn't as lucrative as the US because private health insurers (allegedly) have a secret agreement to collectively refuse to cover your fees if you try and charge above the agreed market rate.

Oh, I'm sure it's not even close to US as their salaries in general are much higher. I am just trying to ascertain if dermatologists have competitive earning potential to those in specialties that offer more opportunities to earn locum rates (which can be £100++/h for a consultant), such as A&E or general medicine. It feels like they should be at least competitive, but I couldn't find any concrete info on this.
I worked for a private dermatology clinic, and the top consultants working full time were netting 30k a month
Reply 6
Wow, thanks! I assume thats for full time? May I ask what the working conditions were like? Eg how long were the hours, how busy?
Reply 7
Interesting! Would you say getting a job in the private sector is extremely competitive? Do you need to be super experienced as a consultant and very active in things like research for many years?
Not always true. I don't speak for neuro (obvs) but in T&O i've seen a fair few consultants doing private within 12-18 months of getting their consultant NHS post. Particularly with demand so high at present. Similarly i've seen three plastics guys go full time private <3 years from CCT.

Please show me where you got these fantastic locum rates for junior doctors from as I am not seeing them where I work...
Reply 10
Original post by girl_in_black
Please show me where you got these fantastic locum rates for junior doctors from as I am not seeing them where I work...

You can £65/h gross at some hospitals outside london as a med reg.

source please
Reply 12
Original post by girl_in_black
source please

Own experience. What rates do you normally see?

You could call an agency and get them to find well paid shifts for you if you're mobile.
(edited 2 years ago)

One of my local trusts pay 60/hr to sho out of hours (50 normal hours)
I didn't say you can bank on it, but it's certainly not uncommon to have a significant practice fairly early (with decent rewards)
Reply 15
Original post by username5875312
I worked for a private dermatology clinic, and the top consultants working full time were netting 30k a month

Wow

How much were the average ones making?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending