The Student Room Group

49% on a first year module but a first class in my second year?

Something that bothers me is that I failed a first year essay (it was my first uni essay and I am an international student in the UK) which led to a 49% on a first year module (which does not count for my final degree classification but is on my transcript). What makes it worse is that due to COVID all first year exams were cancelled, so I have no grades on my first year part of the transcript except this one (the transcript explains why there are no other grades). This module is completely unrelated to my career path (finance). I am a very good student and this was literally an accident caused by wrong referencing. In my second year I managed to obtain a first class (71% average) choosing very advanced modules in my field. I was wondering if that 49% (the fact it is on my transcript) could prevent me in any way from achieving future employment/graduate school goals, especially when talking about the most selective places. I am an internship offer holder from one of the ‘bulge bracket’ banks but of course I was not asked for my transcript. Should I care at all about this/try to include it in mitigating circumstances? Did anyone appear to be in a similar situation?
Nobody gives a **** that you received a 3rd in one of your modules in first year. The whole point of first year is to screw up a few things as it doesn’t count. If you received all firsts or 2:1s from year 1 you wouldn’t need to be in university!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LeonidK
Something that bothers me is that I failed a first year essay (it was my first uni essay and I am an international student in the UK) which led to a 49% on a first year module (which does not count for my final degree classification but is on my transcript). What makes it worse is that due to COVID all first year exams were cancelled, so I have no grades on my first year part of the transcript except this one (the transcript explains why there are no other grades). This module is completely unrelated to my career path (finance). I am a very good student and this was literally an accident caused by wrong referencing. In my second year I managed to obtain a first class (71% average) choosing very advanced modules in my field. I was wondering if that 49% (the fact it is on my transcript) could prevent me in any way from achieving future employment/graduate school goals, especially when talking about the most selective places. I am an internship offer holder from one of the ‘bulge bracket’ banks but of course I was not asked for my transcript. Should I care at all about this/try to include it in mitigating circumstances? Did anyone appear to be in a similar situation?

Hi!

I'm a postgraduate now, but when applying for jobs they've only ever asked what I graduated with. First year doesn't count for a reason so most employers will never ask how you did. Please don't ever worry about how you did in first year, especially as you did it during COVID.

Best wishes
Chloe- Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by LeonidK

Hi there!

I wouldn't worry at all about this one module where you scored 49 - you didn't fail the module and therefore you will be able to progress to the next year with no issues. 1st year marks don't tend to count towards your final classification and as a result it shouldn't have any impact on your final degree classification. I think it is also highly unlikely that future employers will look at your 1st year module results either, so don't worry about this :smile:

1st year is a learning period - so just learn from this experience of getting a low grade and make sure it doesn't happen when it counts in 2nd and 3rd year!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Why is there a first year grade on the transcript??????!!!!! I thought 1st year grade wouldn't be on the ACTUAL transcript. Please help omg

Original post by LeonidK
Something that bothers me is that I failed a first year essay (it was my first uni essay and I am an international student in the UK) which led to a 49% on a first year module (which does not count for my final degree classification but is on my transcript). What makes it worse is that due to COVID all first year exams were cancelled, so I have no grades on my first year part of the transcript except this one
Original post by Anonymous
Why is there a first year grade on the transcript??????!!!!! I thought 1st year grade wouldn't be on the ACTUAL transcript. Please help omg

Your full transcript will include your module results from all years of study.

As above, most employers will only care about your overall result.
Original post by Admit-One
Your full transcript will include your module results from all years of study.

As above, most employers will only care about your overall result.

Will they include what I got in specific modules such as 49% in module A accounting for 50% and in that same Module I got 55% which accounts for 50% . Or will the scores be added together??!! Pls help it will be so annoying if they showed what I got in specific modules rather than as a whole omggg
Will they include what I got in specific modules such as 49% in module A accounting for 50% and in that same Module I got 55% which accounts for 50% . Or will the scores be added together??!! Pls help it will be so annoying if they showed what I got in specific modules rather than as a whole omggg

This will vary from uni to uni. Some will only show the total module score, others may show a breakdown of the comportments for each.
Original post by Admit-One
This will vary from uni to uni. Some will only show the total module score, others may show a breakdown of the comportments for each.

hey, the transcript that we are talking about...is it what ppl hold when they pose for their graduation. Sorry I'm new to this so IDK it. Can you hwlp
hey, the transcript that we are talking about...is it what ppl hold when they pose for their graduation. Sorry I'm new to this so IDK it. Can you hwlp

No, that’s usually a degree award certificate. A separate document.
Hi there,

As others have said don't worry about small stats like this on your transcripts, they are there to 'prove' you have got a degree, it is highly unlikely that an employer would be interested in individual module marks! University is a learning experience and don't be hard on yourself about individual module marks - it is about what it adds up to in the end that matters so focus on that :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool
Original post by LeonidK

In that case, the 49% won't affect you much. You're pretty good otherwise.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Nobody gives a **** that you received a 3rd in one of your modules in first year. The whole point of first year is to screw up a few things as it doesn’t count. If you received all firsts or 2:1s from year 1 you wouldn’t need to be in university!

Not necessarily. Even if you received all 1st from year 1, you'd still need to be in uni as the gap between years can be large. Especially if you plan on directly going to a PhD from a bachelors'

Plus, you need a strong foundation to do well on subsequent years. 1st would be a strong enough foundation, although 2:1 I'd say acceptable foundation.
Original post by justlearning1469
Not necessarily. Even if you received all 1st from year 1, you'd still need to be in uni as the gap between years can be large. Especially if you plan on directly going to a PhD from a bachelors'

Plus, you need a strong foundation to do well on subsequent years. 1st would be a strong enough foundation, although 2:1 I'd say acceptable foundation.

I meant it more as a joke of course you have to be at university. Considering that 0.1% of undergraduates go onto a PhD from an undergraduate degree I'd say that the first year is nothing to worry about.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I meant it more as a joke of course you have to be at university. Considering that 0.1% of undergraduates go onto a PhD from an undergraduate degree I'd say that the first year is nothing to worry about.

Jokes through texts can be difficult to know. Many people genuinely have that attitude (think of the third-class sportsman degree) so difficult to tell.

I wonder if there's a source for the "0.1%" but... I didn't expect it to be that low, if it's true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending