The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Uni Of Southampton final classification

Hi guys,

So, I think I may be graduating with a 2:2, as I’m not sure about the way Southampton do their final degree classification.

On the website it says:

9.6 Classification Algorithm
The class awarded shall be that within which the Final Average Mark rounded to the nearest integer falls. The next higher class will be awarded if the unrounded Final Average Mark is within 2 marks of the higher class and at least 50% of the credit points, weighted by Part, are derived from Module Marks in the higher class or above.”

My modules are as follows:

49 (that was actually my final module, well done Seb mate)

My final grade is 59.1% and all modules were worth 30 credits.

Thing is 3 of the 2:1 modules are from 2nd year and 1 from 3rd year.

Are credit points weighted differently from Year 2 to Year 3? (You need 360 to graduate and nowhere else on the website does it ever suggest that credit points are weighted differently from 2nd to 3rd year.)

My faculty have actually been really unhelpful in telling me different things, if there are any Southampton Grads out there who know how they do things that’d be great!

Honestly, if I get a Desmond I’d understand it and will try my best to take it on the chin, but if anyone can shed some light that’d be really helpful. I’m not too upset that the top grad schemes will be a mission to get in, but obvs its a pain.

Cheers x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SebPana
Hi guys,

So, I think I may be graduating with a 2:2, as I’m not sure about the way Southampton do their final degree classification.

On the website it says:

9.6 Classification Algorithm
The class awarded shall be that within which the Final Average Mark rounded to the nearest integer falls. The next higher class will be awarded if the unrounded Final Average Mark is within 2 marks of the higher class and at least 50% of the credit points, weighted by Part, are derived from Module Marks in the higher class or above.”

My modules are as follows:

49 (that was actually my final module, well done Seb mate)

My final grade is 59.1% and all modules were worth 30 credits.

Thing is 3 of the 2:1 modules are from 2nd year and 1 from 3rd year.

Are credit points weighted differently from Year 2 to Year 3? (You need 360 to graduate and nowhere else on the website does it ever suggest that credit points are weighted differently from 2nd to 3rd year.)

My faculty have actually been really unhelpful in telling me different things, if there are any Southampton Grads out there who know how they do things that’d be great!

Honestly, if I get a Desmond I’d understand it and will try my best to take it on the chin, but if anyone can shed some light that’d be really helpful. I’m not too upset that the top grad schemes will be a mission to get in, but obvs its a pain.

Cheers x

http://www.calendar.soton.ac.uk/sectionIV/progression-regs.html
it's 1/3 yr 2 and 2/3 yr 3 weighting

Which results are in which year?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
http://www.calendar.soton.ac.uk/sectionIV/progression-regs.html
it's 1/3 yr 2 and 2/3 yr 3 weighting

Which results are in which year?

I’ve read that extensively,

2nd year

- 61.7%

3rd year

49 (complete anomaly I was really horrified when I saw this.)

- 57.8%

Which is roughly 59.1%

However the credit weighting is very unclear?

It’s either I miss out on a 2:1 by 0.4%, or I’m awarded a 2:1 on the basis that 50% of credits from Years 2 & 3 were in the ‘higher class’.
Original post by SebPana
I’ve read that extensively,

2nd year

- 61.7%

3rd year

49 (complete anomaly I was really horrified when I saw this.)

- 57.8%

Which is roughly 59.1%

However the credit weighting is very unclear?

It’s either I miss out on a 2:1 by 0.4%, or I’m awarded a 2:1 on the basis that 50% of credits from Years 2 & 3 were in the ‘higher class’.

Only 50/120 (or 42%) of the credit points, weighted by Part are over 60%

Is there any option to appeal/ask for moderation/remark of the 49% result. If that was marked up to 52% then your overall average would be 60% (well 59.58% so 60% when rounded to the nearest integer).
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Only 50/120 (or 42%) of the credit points, weighted by Part are over 60%

Is there any option to appeal/ask for moderation/remark of the 49% result. If that was marked up to 52% then your overall average would be 60% (well 59.58% so 60% when rounded to the nearest integer).

I’ve done that calculation before too, it’s a shame that my faculty were really apprehensive about telling me this, they just told me to wait.

I will have to ask the advice hub on results day. I thought that it would be the case, thing is, this result is pre moderation, I have known people with the same lecturer who have had their marks pushed up by 5 or even 6% after 1st semester results were released so it’s not set in stone yet.

If my 59 module was pushed up by 1 mark that would that also qualify me for the higher class too, right?
Original post by SebPana
I’ve done that calculation before too, it’s a shame that my faculty were really apprehensive about telling me this, they just told me to wait.

I will have to ask the advice hub on results day. I thought that it would be the case, thing is, this result is pre moderation, I have known people with the same lecturer who have had their marks pushed up by 5 or even 6% after 1st semester results were released so it’s not set in stone yet.

If my 59 module was pushed up by 1 mark that would that also qualify me for the higher class too, right?

Yep - if the 59 went up to 60 then you'd have 58% weighted credits over 60% (so even though your overall weighted average would be 59.25...so still 59% you'd meet the requirement to be bumped up).

Have you spoken to your course rep and/or student union about this? Despite the rumours your SU exists not to sell cheap drinks but to help students navigate university regulations.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Yep - if the 59 went up to 60 then you'd have 58% weighted credits over 60% (so even though your overall weighted average would be 59.25...so still 59% you'd meet the requirement to be bumped up).

Have you spoken to your course rep and/or student union about this? Despite the rumours your SU exists not to sell cheap drinks but to help students navigate university regulations.

I have spoken to my tutor, I was told to sit tight and wait for results day, and not to try and predict my final classification. The SU are running an advice hub on Thursday in which I can talk through this. In terms of mitigating circumstances there are some but I have no ‘evidence’ for it. (Would rather not discuss it.) I didn’t want to seem like I was attention seeking, and I didn’t think I’d find much success in terms of special considerations and the like.

What would you recommend I do?

In terms of the 49% module, that had also been impacted by the lecturers strike that had been ongoing and I missed valuable time with the lecturer, who missed a meeting with me due to these strikes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Have had to use another account as have lost access to the one I used to start this thread.

Got the Desmond, to be honest I felt a lot worse when I thought I had a 2:2 then when I found out. The bark was worse than its bite I think.

I tried to consult my SUSU but they wouldn't take my call, and I cannot ask for a 're-mark' or a 'mark review' as the University choose not to operate in this fashion. I cannot appeal my grade simply because I do not agree with the grade. In terms of failure of due process I would think that any appeal I did on the basis of university lecturers being on strike would be a soft one as of course a lot of other students were also affected by this.

Don't think I will be appealing my grade, have a job interview next week for a full-time job, so the world is not over yet!
Reply 8
Original post by Heartson96
Have had to use another account as have lost access to the one I used to start this thread.

Got the Desmond, to be honest I felt a lot worse when I thought I had a 2:2 then when I found out. The bark was worse than its bite I think.

I tried to consult my SUSU but they wouldn't take my call, and I cannot ask for a 're-mark' or a 'mark review' as the University choose not to operate in this fashion. I cannot appeal my grade simply because I do not agree with the grade. In terms of failure of due process I would think that any appeal I did on the basis of university lecturers being on strike would be a soft one as of course a lot of other students were also affected by this.

Don't think I will be appealing my grade, have a job interview next week for a full-time job, so the world is not over yet!

Hows life now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending