The Student Room Group

What percentage/ average I need in third year to get a first.

I am predicting to get around 50% overall in second year. I study law. Second year is worth 30% and third year is worth 70%. In second year I did three 30 credit modules and two 15 credit modules. In third year I will do my dissertation (30 credits) and six 15 credit modules.
I really want to get a first class degree overall.
I want to know what percentage/ average I would need in third year to get a first overall, taking into account 50% that I got in second year.

Hope someone can help.
Original post by 14nike
I am predicting to get around 50% overall in second year. I study law. Second year is worth 30% and third year is worth 70%. In second year I did three 30 credit modules and two 15 credit modules. In third year I will do my dissertation (30 credits) and six 15 credit modules.
I want to know what percentage/ average I would need in third year to get a first overall, taking into account 50% that I got in second year.

Hope someone can help.

For a first you need the weight average across the two years to be at least 70. Those weights are 30% and 70% for second and third year.

So you need 30% x second year result + 70% x third year result = 70 (as a minimum)

We can re-arrange this as: third year result = (70 - (0.3 x second year result)) / 0.7

If we use your prediction of 50 for your second year result, we get: third year result = (70 - (0.3 x 50)) / 0.7 = 78.6 (approximately).

Is that achievable, do you think?
Reply 2
Original post by 14nike

Hope someone can help.

Is that 50% including the different weightings for the modules? Are there rules on 'best modules'?
Hey there,

The best port of call would be to discuss this with your tutor/head of course. Each university might differ slightly in how they calculate your degree, as mentioned above some universities can take your best modules from 2nd/3rd year or just base your grade from your third year. You might not get the most accurate answer on TSR unless its a prev. student from your university :smile:

I hope this helps a bit,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Hi there,

As others have said, this often differs between Universities, and sometimes departments/courses. I would consult your course/school handbook for this information. For example, sometimes you need to achieve certain grade in core or dissertation modules to get a first/2:1.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending