The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Physics Paper 1 Higher Tier 1PH0 1H - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

which rollercoaster? Was it in edexcel or aqa as this is the edexcel paper 1 2022 paper

Original post by xrahh.ls
I got those answers as well!! :smile:
Original post by Jiten2006
Oh thanks, I thought since i didnt use the smaller can i would lose marks but this makes sense as it is the same thing. How many marks per paper would you say you need for grade 8/ grade 9 as everyone seems to be struggling with this paper

The total for both papers is 200. I think normally about 138/200 is an 8 and 158/200 is a 9.

That means you would have to average about 79 per paper to get a 9 and about 69 per paper for an 8. These are estimates though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by madzzzzina
The total for both papers are 200. I think normally about 138/200 is an 8 and 158/200 is a 9.

That means you would have to average about 79 per paper to get a 9 and about 69 per paper for an 8. These are estimates though.

These estimates seem realistic enough so i think i should be ok on that front. For the calculations, did you get a couple of recurring answers?
Original post by Strix4748
What did people do for the drawing question? And what control variables?

for the drawing one i did the larger can filled with sand or sawdust then the smaller can inside with water and the thermometer in the water but forgot to add the stop watch.

for control variables i said :
- temperature of the water
- mass of sand and sawdust
- volume of the water
These estimates seem realistic enough so i think i should be ok on that front. For the calculations, did you get a couple of recurring answers?

Yes, i did. I think most of my answers were recurring. I rounded them to 1 decimal or 2 decimal places. I thought I was the only one.
Yes, i did. I think most of my answers were recurring. I rounded them to 1 decimal or 2 decimal places. I thought I was the only one.

No, most of the calcs were recurring. There were 10questions in this paper and so far, i think ive covered 7/8 questions and think I lost 10 marks. How many would be safe to say I lost in all? (btw in exam situations i dont like suspense so i try to see how well i do in comparison to others)
No, most of the calcs were recurring. There were 10questions in this paper and so far, i think ive covered 7/8 questions and think I lost 10 marks. How many would be safe to say I lost in all? (btw in exam situations i dont like suspense so i try to see how well i do in comparison to others)

Because I don't feel super great about the exam and I get stressed out, I usually feel like I've lost more marks than what I actually have. So, for example, in a mock I felt like I lost about 40 marks but I missed out on only 20 marks.
As I felt really bad about my first paper, that just made me want to do really well in the second paper, and I did better in the second paper overall.

If you've at least double-checked/triple-checked all your answers and feel you know it all, round those 10 incorrect marks to 15 marks or to 20 marks to be on the safe side. You don't want to be overly confident and flop your second paper because you thought you did great on the first one.
Yep i agree, thats good advice. Im on track to get a 9 for maths so for physics I need a minimum 8 to get into the 6th form I want. So est 69 marks is needed means that 100-69=31. 31/2=15.5 So if i identify 15 mistakes, i essentially count 30 and i counted 10 mistakes which means i meant 20. Is that right? So just about grade 9 but could be grade 8 if there is a few more counted errors

Because I don't feel super great about the exam and I get stressed out, I usually feel like I've lost more marks than what I actually have. So, for example, in a mock I felt like I lost about 40 marks but I missed out on only 20 marks.
As I felt really bad about my first paper, that just made me want to do really well in the second paper, and I did better in the second paper overall.

If you've at least double-checked/triple-checked all your answers and feel you know it all, round those 10 incorrect marks to 15 marks or to 20 marks to be on the safe side. You don't want to be overly confident and flop your second paper because you thought you did great on the first one.
Original post by Xela4265
for the drawing one i did the larger can filled with sand or sawdust then the smaller can inside with water and the thermometer in the water but forgot to add the stop watch.

for control variables i said :
- temperature of the water
- mass of sand and sawdust
- volume of the water

yeah I said mass and volume, do u think time the water is left is right?
Yep i agree, thats good advice. Im on track to get a 9 for maths so for physics I need a minimum 8 to get into the 6th form I want. So est 69 marks is needed means that 100-69=31. 31/2=15.5 So if i identify 15 mistakes, i essentially count 30 and i counted 10 mistakes which means i meant 20. Is that right? So just about grade 9 but could be grade 8 if there is a few more counted errors

Yep that's right.
I hope you achieve the grades you want and best of luck with the rest of your exams :smile:
Yep that's right.
I hope you achieve the grades you want and best of luck with the rest of your exams :smile:

Thank you!!! Hope you do well too. The good thing about all doing the same exam board is that we can share our experiences in a positive way.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you!!! Hope you do well too. The good thing about all doing the same exam board is that we can share our experiences in a positive way.

Yeah definitely.

I do hope to see your outlook on the paper 2s for the sciences. What are you aiming for and what are your predicted grades?
Yeah definitely.

I do hope to see your outlook on the paper 2s for the sciences. What are you aiming for and what are your predicted grades?

so i ran out of time and a lot of the stuff i definitely knew i didnt get to write which is so so so annoying, i think i defintely lost 15-20 marks and also i definitely lost some more marks from incorrect answers, how much would i need to aim for in paper 2 to try and get an 8?
Original post by alexx.
I got 6N for one of the force calculations and 19m/s for the speed of tje rollercoaster

bruh, did it go well? i got the same 6N ... but wt abt the one we had to find m/s n we were only given 18m . this made my KE to be half answered
Original post by noora1233
so i ran out of time and a lot of the stuff i definitely knew i didnt get to write which is so so so annoying, i think i defintely lost 15-20 marks and also i definitely lost some more marks from incorrect answers, how much would i need to aim for in paper 2 to try and get an 8?

Hi,
I, for definite, am not qualified to tell you how much you need to get, I'm not an examiner, I'm a student sitting these papers as well.
However, looking at grade boundaries from previous years, you would need to get at least 66-70 per paper to get an 8.
These are just estimates.

If you've lost a maximum of 30 marks (so you'd be getting 70 marks in this paper), you'll need to get 70 marks in your second paper.
Original post by Strix4748
yeah I said mass and volume, do u think time the water is left is right?

yeah it should be
I drew the small can inside the large can. The small can had water and a thermometer, and was surrounded by sand in the big can.

Yes! I thought I was getting them all wrong but hopefully not.
Original post by noora1233
right!! im predicted a 9 as well but that paper was so weird, exactly the questions were so random
and it was even worse for me bc we had bad invigilators today who didnt do the time properly and they didnt even tell us that the time is done they just started collecting everyone's paper and so i missed out so many marks bc i wasnt sure when we're done
its so disappointing for the people predicted high grades bc this paper was very disadvantageous

Fr I’m predicted a 9 but I felt like I was second guessing every question
did you guys think the paper for triple&higher lined up with the advanced information? i cant really tell. the paper felt so weird to me in general..
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending