The Student Room Group

Sociology at Durham or Exeter?

Hi, I’m really stuck about which Uni to pick for September for Sociology, I have received offers from Durham, Exeter and Sussex. The entry requirements are more unrealistic for me at Durham, I’m likely to miss out by a grade. My parents want me to go to Durham because its more prestigious, however I'm leaning towards Exeter because the requirements are more realistic and I am an International student so I may enjoy it more there. I am unsure any advice is really appreciated:smile:).
Hi, I am also currently struggling to choose between Durham and Exeter for History and Economics. For me it is not a case of entry requirements, as I am likely to meet the ones for both universities, but which one I will enjoy more. To help with your decision, maybe have a look at the rankings for your course specifically at each uni? Durham may be more prestigious overall, but for example for me Economics is ranked better at Exeter. Ultimately though, I have heard from so many people that the rankings between the top 10 unis mean little. For future career opportunities employers just want you to obtain a 2.1. I would consider factors such as location (Durham far away from London), the type of university- does college appeal to you specifically? Societies that both unis offer, the size of the cities (Exeter is bigger and definitely has more of a city feel), and the difference between the courses at each uni- research the lecturers etc, does one uni have more lecturers for the area that you are interested in, do the courses vary greatly? As for Sussex, it isn't Russell group so is definitely less prestigious than the other two, so I would definitely go for Durham or Exeter as prestige is important to an extent. Also, if you don't want to risk ending up at your insurance if you miss the grades for Durham, it may be worth applying to Exeter instead. Hope that helps :smile:
Durham, Exeter and Sussex are all great universities in their own right. Discover Uni is a great website that enables you to compare your course at different universities in relation to student satisfaction, graduate prospects and so much more. I have attached the link below. I hope this helps! Good luck! :smile:
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-comparison/?
Original post by Avasmith2004
Hi, I’m really stuck about which Uni to pick for September for Sociology, I have received offers from Durham, Exeter and Sussex. The entry requirements are more unrealistic for me at Durham, I’m likely to miss out by a grade. My parents want me to go to Durham because its more prestigious, however I'm leaning towards Exeter because the requirements are more realistic and I am an International student so I may enjoy it more there. I am unsure any advice is really appreciated:smile:).

Hi there @Avasmith2004

I would definitely echo the advice given by others and just want to add that you talk to current students at all unis to find out their experience. For Durham, you can do this here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/student-connect/unibuddy-uk/

I've also created this mindmap that lists out relevant factors that you can take into account while making a decision: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/considerations-when-choosing-a-university

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending