The Student Room Group

I got a 2:2 :'(

I graduated with a 2:2 ... I go to a very good (top 10) university, but my mental health had gotten the better of me. I really thought I would scrape a 2:1... what do I do :'(
I'm sorry that you've had a hard time with your mental health, and that you're feeling disappointed with your grade :hugs: I don't have advice per se but just wanted to reassure you (as someone who also left a top 10 uni with a 2.2, due to mental health issues), that:

1) It's not the end of the world. It makes some things harder/some career paths less viable on the short-term, but it's not the end of the world :nah:

2) You've spent most (if not all?) of your degree in an unprecedented worldwide pandemic, and having lots of UCU strikes. Those two things in themselves are enough to be demotivating and give one poor mental health. So try and cut yourself some slack. Which brings me onto point 3:

3) Don't see this as indicative of your intelligence/your general ability. Poor mental health can really screw uni degrees up big time, but that doesn't make you weak, a failure, stupid, or anything like that (just saying this in case your brain is feeding you the lies that my brain fed me about my own 2.2)

Take time to process this. It'll sting for quite a while and it's important to be compassionate towards yourself :console:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm sorry that you've had a hard time with your mental health, and that you're feeling disappointed with your grade :hugs: I don't have advice per se but just wanted to reassure you (as someone who also left a top 10 uni with a 2.2, due to mental health issues), that:

1) It's not the end of the world. It makes some things harder/some career paths less viable on the short-term, but it's not the end of the world :nah:

2) You've spent most (if not all?) of your degree in an unprecedented worldwide pandemic, and having lots of UCU strikes. Those two things in themselves are enough to be demotivating and give one poor mental health. So try and cut yourself some slack. Which brings me onto point 3:

3) Don't see this as indicative of your intelligence/your general ability. Poor mental health can really screw uni degrees up big time, but that doesn't make you weak, a failure, stupid, or anything like that (just saying this in case your brain is feeding you the lies that my brain fed me about my own 2.2)

Take time to process this. It'll sting for quite a while and it's important to be compassionate towards yourself :console:

Thank you. I just feel like a COMPLETE failure. I never thought this would be me! I feel like a total loser and like I've wasted such a good opportunity. I can't help but thinking about all the opportunities that would be open to me if I got a 2:1 or 1st. I was averaging 2:1s mainly, but I fudged up on my dissertation which was a huge chunk of my credits. I even thought about failing final year completely just so I could retake it. I feel like such a failure and I'm probably going to have to work a bunch of crappy jobs first to get to ones that require a 2:1 ..... I can't believe myself :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. I just feel like a COMPLETE failure. I never thought this would be me! I feel like a total loser and like I've wasted such a good opportunity. I can't help but thinking about all the opportunities that would be open to me if I got a 2:1 or 1st. I was averaging 2:1s mainly, but I fudged up on my dissertation which was a huge chunk of my credits. I even thought about failing final year completely just so I could retake it. I feel like such a failure and I'm probably going to have to work a bunch of crappy jobs first to get to ones that require a 2:1 ..... I can't believe myself :frown:

Gosh, that's quite drastic, considering failing final year completely so you could retake - I'm really glad you didn't do that! :eek: You're not a total loser: like I said, it's been a really tough few years for undergrad students across the UK. It's not like you decided to have poor mental health on purpose, and that you purposely fudged up on your dissertation.

Like I said, it could sting for a like time, getting a 2.2. but I hope in time you'll come to see/feel it's really not the end of the world. Do you have any work experience/volunteering experience from your time at uni, which you can use to boost your CV? Things will, most likely, work out: try not to panic :hugs:

Whatever. I am going to get a 2.2 as well, but you don't see me crying about it. You need to understand that life is more than just a grade on a piece of paper. It's true that a 2.1 is going to close some doors, but there are still plenty of grad schemes accepting 2.2s or even 3rds. Plus, it's your transferable skills and experience that matter more than anything and your ability to pass psychometric tests, interviews and assessment centres. I am guessing that you haven't even tried to apply for a grad job, but when you do, you will understand that life isn't about a grade on a piece of paper. I know that this sounds cliché, but it is entirely true. It is time to drop that egotistical attitude and understand that life sometimes doesn't always work out the way that you want it to. That's something that a lot of students don't understand, especially those students that haven't got out into the real world yet, have no experience and think that some numbers and percentages define them as people.
Another PhD'er with a 2.2 due to mental health :wavey:
I graduated with a 2:2 ... I go to a very good (top 10) university, but my mental health had gotten the better of me. I really thought I would scrape a 2:1... what do I do :'(

I don't really see the problem with this?
A 2:2 is an above standard and decent grade at University level. You should be proud of that.
Stop being so hard on yourself!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Funtimes01_
I don't really see the problem with this?
A 2:2 is an above standard and decent grade at University level. You should be proud of that.
Stop being so hard on yourself!

It's not 'above standard' (and in fact might be below standard at many institutions these days) but you are right that the OP should cut themselves some slack.

OP, there are always options. You can get to wherever you want to be regardless of a (contextually) disappointing classification. It might take you a bit longer but there is nothing at all wrong with that. it is not a necessary abr to your success, and you are certainly no failure.
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800
It's not 'above standard' (and in fact might be below standard at many institutions these days) but you are right that the OP should cut themselves some slack.

OP, there are always options. You can get to wherever you want to be regardless of a (contextually) disappointing classification. It might take you a bit longer but there is nothing at all wrong with that. it is not a necessary abr to your success, and you are certainly no failure.

I can't help thinking about all the options that would've been available to me if I got a 1st. I totally blew it! This is probably going to be the biggest regret of my life. The only thing that I can comfort myself with is that it was either a 2.2, completely dropping out or even worse...
Well done on getting through uni. I also graduated with a 2:2 last year. I have had two jobs since finishing university and still get regular inmails on LinkedIn for jobs paying £300+ per day. I know people who have a 1st and can’t get a job. I like you was upset about not getting a 2:1 and fortunately I had someone tell me that I am worth more than two numbers on a piece of paper.

You are are worth more than two numbers on a paper. You just have to believe in yourself. You can’t change what’s happened in the past but you can always look back at what you’ve done wrong and work towards a better future.

Good luck! dm me if you have any questions. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1

been 1 year. what subject ples??
Original post by Anonymous #1

You should be very proud of yourself to have got to a top 10 uni and to have achieved a degree.

Why do you feel like a failure as you have said in a post below? Look at the conversations you have had with yourself that will lead to growth as a person for “just getting a 2:2”. This will develop you as a person and mould you for valuable life experiences too.

I interview candidates for a major healthcare firm, yes I get their CVs and read through them- I never care about their grades, I care about the person I am speaking to. Any good employer would do the same.

You’re a brave person to say you had mental health issues and managed to pull off a degree (and at the time of a pandemic also!!).

I could say so many other points as well, like look at Steve Jobs, or even Einstein. Break those shackles of society - you as a person are far far greater than a grade on a piece of paper.

Wishing you well on your future adventures, onwards and upwards 🙏😀
Original post by MackMyers
Well done on getting through uni. I also graduated with a 2:2 last year. I have had two jobs since finishing university and still get regular inmails on LinkedIn for jobs paying £300+ per day. I know people who have a 1st and can’t get a job. I like you was upset about not getting a 2:1 and fortunately I had someone tell me that I am worth more than two numbers on a piece of paper.

You are are worth more than two numbers on a paper. You just have to believe in yourself. You can’t change what’s happened in the past but you can always look back at what you’ve done wrong and work towards a better future.

Good luck! dm me if you have any questions. :smile:

How funny, I wrote similar and only read this post after. I think that speaks volumes as to how grades really are that, numbers on a piece of paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending