The Student Room Group

edexcel IGCSE qualifications

Anyone self-studying for igcse's over the next few years?
I was thinking of doing around 7-8 IGCSES.
as someone who's doing igcse currently, if you want to do 7-8 igcses go for it
Reply 2
Original post by ilovejeongin143
as someone who's doing igcse currently, if you want to do 7-8 igcses go for it

which one are you doing? and thanks for replying <33
Original post by cvcvcvcdxs
which one are you doing? and thanks for replying <33

i am doing english language, maths, biology, chemistry and physics (triple) and you're welcome !!
My daughter did 6 IGCSEs and 2 GCSEs between 2021 and 2022. She self studied 1, and used distance learning providers for the others.

Eldest son did 1 IGCSE in 2022, he's doing 1 IGCSE and 1 GCSE this summer, and 1 IGCSE next summer. He's using distance learning providers.

Second eldest son did 1 IGCSE in 2022, he's doing 1 IGCSE this summer, he's taking 1 GCSE next summer, and 2 IGCSEs in summer 2025. Again, using distance learning providers.

Some of the IGCSEs were/are CIE, others Edexcel
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ilovejeongin143
i am doing english language, maths, biology, chemistry and physics (triple) and you're welcome !!

i've been homeschooled since 2020, but from Jan2023 its been selfstudy just from textbooks and pastpapers
ive done edexcel maths already in jan23 (i got an 8)
ive done biology edexcel 1st paper, and have got the second one in a few days
english language edexcel is also in a week

i was thinking of doing chemisty, ict, psychology, sociology, human bio, Welsh (wjec)
theres some id like to do aswell, but im not sure how many is average, as i was never in public highschool as i left the year before
im also not sure about a levels, or what you need to get into college!
Original post by cvcvcvcdxs
i've been homeschooled since 2020, but from Jan2023 its been selfstudy just from textbooks and pastpapers
ive done edexcel maths already in jan23 (i got an 8)
ive done biology edexcel 1st paper, and have got the second one in a few days
english language edexcel is also in a week

i was thinking of doing chemisty, ict, psychology, sociology, human bio, Welsh (wjec)
theres some id like to do aswell, but im not sure how many is average, as i was never in public highschool as i left the year before
im also not sure about a levels, or what you need to get into college!

Every college, sixth form, or sixth form college I've looked at with my kids has only ever asked for a maximum of 5 I/GCSEs at grades 4 or above, including English and Maths.
My daughter got into an outstanding sixth form college, which is always oversubscribed, and even they only asked for 5 GCSEs. (She'd taken 8, but really didn't need to).

That being said, I have heard from other home educating families that they've seen some super competitive sixth forms in their areas which require at least 7.

There's no point doing more than you need to. I'd suggest looking at the websites of local colleges / sixth forms, to see what their entry requirements are.

Most students who attend high schools take around 10 on average, but that's generally because they want kids to keep their options open. If you know what you want to do in college / uni / career-wise, there's no need to take that many if you're home educated.

Also, sometimes there's a little leeway for home ed kids. My eldest son is going to be doing a Level 3 Extended BTEC in Esports, Enterprise, and Entrepreneurship at college. The entry requirements state 5 GCSEs, but he's only taking 4 plus doing a Silver Arts Award, and they said they'll accept him with that.

The two most important ones are English Language and Maths.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest